PDA

View Full Version : Intro And Questions

Mainframe_Module
15th December 2006, 11:28 PM
Hi guys! i just joined the forums, im Kieran from sydney. 22, male..and erm..yes.

anyway, i bought my first ever car in january this year, a Toyota Yaris YRX auto. and now that im on my green p's ive decided to learn manual. ive had a lesson and although it was different and odd, i did like it and think i can grow to love it.

ive been in talks with a dealer in bankstown and just trying to find out how much i can get for my yaris and then refinance and get a holden astra coupe. id like the cdx but i think ill only be able to afford the cd.

i was considoring the citroen c4 coupe, but the version i could afford only has a 1.6 engine and the manual box is apparently 'rubbery' whatever thats supposed to mean.

so my questions basically are, even though i realise most people here will be slightly biased, do you reccomend the astra coupe? and for those of you that own one, are you happy with it? and is the gearbox nice to use? id prefer to have my first manual car one with a good gearbox that isnt too quirky.

i still owe about 16-17k on my yaris and paid 22500 for it new (including on roads) so hopefully i will come close to what i owe for a trade in,and if a few k are left i could add it to the financing for the astra.

anyway...any information or advice would be appreciated.

MK
16th December 2006, 12:21 AM
hi and welcome,

as for any financial advice and dealings you should PM (send personal message) to TFER...he has been very helpful to me in this aspect (Thanks mate!)

you should never take anyones opinion over your own experiance. I siggest you take a test drice in the C4 and find out if it has "rubbery" transmission.

Astra's are great cars (i am also sure that Barinas\Corsas, Calibras, Vectras and Zafiras too) sure it is a biased answer from an Opel enthusiast like me (and many others here at OPELaus.com) but at the same time i can asure you that any car make\model has its share of good and bad sides.

i do not own Astra 3dr but few people here have them and can share few findings about owning and driving them.

wait few days and do your research on car models, compare them. Take test drives and read up on the reviews. As for your financials and further dealings with car purchase...maybe you should read this:

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11023

good luck...

Mainframe_Module
16th December 2006, 12:28 AM
yeah i read that - scary stuff

though i would be on the phone to consumer affairs and seeking legal advice if that happened to me.

and yeah i will test drive them, im going out tomorrow to show the dealer ive been talking to my yaris sohe can give me a value estimate and tell me if i can get the astra for the price range im looking at (under/on 500 a month)

but i explained to him i will need a few more lessons before i can test drive one, and heck...i might find that i dont like manual and if thats the case i will stick with my yaris, but if i decide to go with manual then i want a european car, they seem so much more...well...me i guess.

anyway, thanks :)

MK
16th December 2006, 12:32 AM
not a problem...

i have owned and river manual cars for many years, my Astra H is one of my few automatic cars...i like it! it might be a little less on power but i dont mind it.

EL BURITO
16th December 2006, 09:50 AM
1.5 auto dam that must feel like less power than my old 1L alto.

Anyways I would get the CDX over the CD 2 reasons curtain airbags and leather. the 1st the most important, in addition to that if u were looking at the higher spec then droped then 6 mths 2 years u begin to kick your self for the desission cos u can have it now way of thinking. Well the AH engine as the TS and the Corsa XC is the smaller version of that engine and i have to say i have not had issues with my gear box, wat i will also mention is that i did lean clutch control on a smaller and fried the clutch, and that may be costly in a new car.

I have never driven the C4, but u still should test all the options that you are considering and a few out there models as well just to seee if that is wat u reallly want.

ramble over

Mainframe_Module
16th December 2006, 05:20 PM
well today i went to suttons in rockdale and found an amazing deal im thiking of going with. the dealer took me around in one and i had a test drive and i could drive it sooo much better than on the corolla i was learning on. i could drive it well and i really liked it

so im going to talk it over with my mum tonight and go again tomorrow to see what kind of deals i can arrange. i had a look at the citroen but sitting in it just didnt feel right for my leg legnth and hight nomatter how much i adjusted the seat and wheel etc.
the astra is really what i want

so yeah...hopefully i could be an owner soon!

MK
17th December 2006, 02:00 AM
...start ordering your Opel badges and grill :)

btm
18th December 2006, 08:23 AM
Welcome Kieran, good luck in what ever decision you make!

Mainframe_Module
18th December 2006, 10:19 AM
hmmm well i ddint go through with it, i loved the car but they were pushing a bit too hard and wanted to give me one in a colour i didnt really want and it just felt a bit too rushed and wrong. im going to spend the next few weeks looking around and seeing what options are out there, i mean if i got a deal like this once im sure i can again in the future.