PDA

View Full Version : Should i or shouldnt i???

CNBLU
13th December 2006, 02:27 PM
im selling my much loved ts astra 2.2 and looking at picking up a ts 2.0 turbo. i have a dealership hunting one down for me and earlier he called and said he has found one and it will be in on monday. my predicament is... my car has 38,000 kms and this other car has 90,000kms

its the same colour(silver) but the turbo has a few extras(leather, sunroof etc) he hasnt given me a price as i said i want to see if i like the car first.

what should i do? i really want a turbo but dont know if should accept one with higher kms? also what price should i be looking at for mine trade in and the turbo with those kms?

any feedback would be much appreciated.
Gav:confused:

oneightoo
13th December 2006, 02:41 PM
is the turbo what ya really want? i would say it doesnt matter about the km's as long as the car has been looked after.. if it has then go for it..

a mate of mine has a car with over 400,00kms, and cos he looks after it well it runs so smooth and has never had a problem..

JohnBu
13th December 2006, 02:41 PM
Gav..

go for it....

90,000 isnt all that much..end of the day, if the offer on the 90k turbo is too good to refuse then go for it..

let us know what the change-over value would be...

i'd be semi-interested in selling mine at the right price.... at this stage, i dont know what i'll get, thats a bigger decision than selling mine..

blueraven
13th December 2006, 03:05 PM
yeah what he said....

although there are more than a few G turbo's for sale at the moment, you might not have to "settle" on the one with high km's, but also as said, provided it was looked after the k's shouldnt be a problem.

if the deal is good, take it..other wise is you can wait for the right car at the right price then even better.

EL BURITO
13th December 2006, 03:19 PM
I would wait, mainly because of the high K's. Are they going to give u a decent warranty to cover all those things that may still go wrong.
quick serch for TS Turbo on Carsales gave me 13 results.

InsaneAsylum
13th December 2006, 03:32 PM
.....do It :)

OPC
13th December 2006, 05:17 PM
unless they sell you the turbo for 15grand i wouldn't bother...

its obviously gunna need a turbo/gearbox/clutch soon

ask them about what warranty it has had done... if they say none they are lying...

get the new astra turbo or the vxr if ya can afford them

Noir
13th December 2006, 05:30 PM
get the new astra turbo or the vxr if ya can afford them

I agree. Go up to the new turbo if finances allow.

blueraven
13th December 2006, 06:42 PM
Keep in mind that any mods you may want to do in the future will be reasonably easy since it has an identical motor to the TS/G srit :) VXR has a very similar motor obviously, but its alot better in many places!

SSS_Hoon
13th December 2006, 08:27 PM
agree with mohawk get the new one if you can.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
14th December 2006, 08:54 AM
I agree with Elburito............sorry guys but 90k is way too much on the odometer for my liking, when buying a s/h turbo 4 potter, unless it was yours or someone close to you, so you have an accurate idea of it's past !!!

As BR mentioned there are a few of these for sale at any one time, if you really want a TS turbo, wait for a good one with lower k's and my advice is to buy from private sale - dealerships are asking way, way too much for them, a 03 model is worth no more than 20k with around 50k on the odometer, dealers are asking up to 25k or more for the same....

If you can, definitely go for a brand new AH Sri t, you can get one for under 34k on road !!!

If you can stretch your budget and get a good trade in value on your current Astra, go for a VXR for sure, at least with an AH, you'll have the current body shape which will look good for years to come ;)

OPC
14th December 2006, 10:54 AM
plus 6 years warranty with the vxr

Wraith
14th December 2006, 12:56 PM
plus 6 years warranty with the vxr

Hi Mohawk, that's fantastic, but does this mean you can't mod it beyond a certain extent without voiding the warranty ?? :(

PaulyJ
14th December 2006, 01:24 PM
Like that has stopped him in the past?

CNBLU
14th December 2006, 06:18 PM
dont know if i want to put up another 10-15 grand. am also thinking of buying another house. so of you are saying dont look at the k's and some are saying find out what its had done under warrenty? has anyone ever had anything fixed under warrenty before? thanks guys.

Charlatan
14th December 2006, 09:25 PM
90,000km on a small turbo engine that may have had the cr@p knocked out of it by a 19 year old? This is a head versus head debate. Your problem is you dont know which to listen to at the moment.

I'd say no, but I'm an old fart

astragsi4x4
14th December 2006, 11:13 PM
well if you like the car just buy it and try to keep a little cash saved. lets face it if its got up to date service history then the chances are its been looked after, the high miles may have been motorway miles under no real stress. on the other hand if the turbo does fail you can use the saved cash to fit the vxr turbo.

you only live once! if you like get it

CNBLU
15th December 2006, 09:44 AM
to all the turbo owners what k's have your cars done and has anyone got anything fixed under warrenty? appreciate all the feedback:clap:

OPC
15th December 2006, 11:41 AM
to all the turbo owners what k's have your cars done and has anyone got anything fixed under warrenty? appreciate all the feedback:clap:

yeah mine had 110,000ks and i had...

engine mounts done twice
gearbox
water pump
steering wheel
leather seats (heated seat went hot and burnt **** inside seat)

oh yeah and b4 i sold it, it would have needed another box/turbo/clutch

Wraith
15th December 2006, 01:18 PM
90,000km on a small turbo engine that may have had the cr@p knocked out of it by a 19 year old? This is a head versus head debate. Your problem is you dont know which to listen to at the moment.

I'd say no, but I'm an old fart

hahahahaha I'm the same boat as you and totally agree with the above :D

My Astra T vert - 15,000km no probs as yet - which is to be expected, however I know that even with the TLC I give it and respectful driving habbit I adopt 98% of the time, by the time it notches up 90,000km, it'll need some major serivicing done or already performed, similar to what Mohawks mentioned !!!

Mrhopey
15th December 2006, 01:27 PM

Mine's approaching 30K's and the only thing i've had wrong with mine was the turbo pressure valve go and that hwas replaced by the dealer and the "usual" deflatting tyres.

Hopey

sasrit
15th December 2006, 01:52 PM
My '03 has done nearly 35K, has only had water pump replaced under warranty at around 22K, recent service was fine and only had to adjust the tailgate lock to stop a rattle, nothing wrong with it at all.

OPC
15th December 2006, 05:04 PM
Hi Mohawk, that's fantastic, but does this mean you can't mod it beyond a certain extent without voiding the warranty ?? :(

yeah HSV hate people modding their cars... but i dont care ;)

Like that has stopped him in the past?

hahahahaha true

KID_SRi
15th December 2006, 05:59 PM
yeah HSV hate people modding their cars... but i dont care ;)

HSV will only send you a Letter telling you that "There Cars are the Pinnacle of Performance"(Pffft) So why do you need to Modify it.