PDA

View Full Version : my clutch whats left of it.

SSS_Hoon
12th December 2006, 09:45 PM
on the way too work this morning and my clutch stopped working just like that without any warning either, would select any gear at all had too rev match it to change gears. when i was stopped i had to turn it off and start it in gear with my foot on the clutch and it was ok.

actually there were some warnings for some time now the bearing was noisy

got too work at 530am adjusted the cable a bit and felt a bit better as it actually went into 2nd gear now.

left work 1230pm to go pull out the box and see what was wrong with it.i had 2nd gear as long as i didnt take it out of it other then that rev matchng was all the go lots of crunching but i got it to my dads work and that is where it ended as it wouldnt select anything now car running foor on the clutch just metal grinding sounds mm not good.

suspisions were

1)clutch fork broken
2)throw out bearing gone(due to the noise)
3)worn down that much that the rivets had sheared off and the clutch lining broke off.

pictures attached

SSS_Hoon

vectraguy01
13th December 2006, 09:04 PM
when i had to replace my clutch in my old car, before the veccy, 2 of the springs were pressed out half way, so yer dead clutch couldnt get it out of 2gear was doing 70 in 2nd gear all the way home, it sucks but its a car.

xplosv57
13th December 2006, 09:23 PM
What car is that clutch out of and how many k's had it done??

oneightoo
14th December 2006, 12:59 AM
that would be a SSS pulsar, and i think from memory his car has done over 200k, but how the clutch had done, i dunno, will have to wait for damo to come back on..

Wraith
14th December 2006, 09:17 AM
mmmm, I've seen plenty a worn out clutches in my time, that above looks like a definite case of lots of 'spirited' driving LOL - SSS you've being giving your car a hiding havn't you ?? :D

SSS_Hoon
14th December 2006, 10:12 AM
yeah a hiding the clutch had done under 30000k hehehehe still plenty of meat on it too.

it was misaligned with the box when put back on.

and yeah lots of spirited driving.

now i have a 5 button extreme heavy duty clutch with modified pivot point with 840kg clamping force and about 500kg pedal pressure to use it mmm sweet.

so gotta learn to drive all over again now.

and yeah its a SSS Pulsar N14 SR20DE ...

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
14th December 2006, 01:04 PM
Love the N14..........Best Pulsar ever IMHO.

My ex missus and I purchased one of those brand new, shortly after they were released in late '91, it was a 'Q' model with 1.6ltr engine, at the time we couldn't stretch the budget for the 2.0ltr. engine option as fitted to the SSS model.

Great car plenty of fun driving and never had a problem, the 2.0ltr had some real go behind it, test drove one back then and was impressed :)

BTW you do realise that with your new clutch/pressure plate combination, your left leg will become twice as big as your right leg in about 6 months time, with all that work out on the clutch pedal hahaha LOL :D

SSS_Hoon
14th December 2006, 01:07 PM
i forgot to mention that the car has over 220000k on the clock now.

yeah i too think its the best pulsar ever made and the n14 japspec import is the best(which i have hehehehe)

yeah i have 93.3fwkw even with that many k's on the clock and it goes well enough and what it lacks that is where the missus golf GTI comes in.

SSS_Hoon