PDA

View Full Version : Astra VXR driven!!

GreyRex
11th December 2006, 11:25 AM
Hey everyone,

There wasn't exactly a thread on this, so thought i'd tell you of my experience the other night.

A mate of mine pulled up in my driveway the other night in a brand new red Astra VXR. I hadn't even seen one on the road yet. After seeing it at the Motor Show, then seeing it at dealerships... here was one sitting in my driveway!! And i got thrown the keys!!

He straight away took us up the mountains. All i can say is that it's scarily fast. I know how my SRi handles up those roads, but this thing just wants to slingshot you... off the mountain!! On our way down, I then got handed the keys. Straight away there just happened to be the new Megane Sport in front of me, passed it safely but showed it off. We then spent the next couple of hours driving it around Melbourne. It helped me come to a few conclusions, being both a passenger and driver.

Ride & handling - Perfect (considering those 19's)
Sound system - Pumps!!
Speedo - Cool as (especially how it does that sweep effect like a Subaru when u start it)
Heated Recaros - Really supportive initially... but then we both got sore backs:(

We both felt it was an all or nothing car. It's really hard to just drive sedately... and thats with the Sport button off!! It has a tendency to want to keep chirping the tyres, without you evening meaning to. Also, when the turbo kicks in, the noise it makes is sort of... odd.

I know I might have stirred it up a little saying that, but it's only my opinion, and that's what it's all about right?? I think it is an amazing car, looks absolutely fantastic, and am so glad we get it here. But as for if I would buy one...

GreyRex
11th December 2006, 11:49 AM
Actually maybe I would... haha

Any comments welcome:)

blueraven
11th December 2006, 12:40 PM
i havent driven one yet...but a few guys in the uk are saying as stock its great, but i think i would be alittle dissapointed hopping out of a modded g turbo into the vxr.. i know some of the uk guys have been :)

i was seriously considering upgrading, but couldnt justify the extra cost...

Wraith
11th December 2006, 12:56 PM
Great insight there mizled sri.

I plan on test driving and thoroughly comparing the VXR, MPS 3, XR5 and new WRX early next year and will give an account of my findings/results.

OPC
11th December 2006, 07:16 PM
Actually maybe I would... haha

Any comments welcome:)

i think you hit the nail on the head...

but i like the seats... prob cos i fit nicelly into them

im not dissapointed going from a modded astra t into one that has slightly less torque than my old one mainly because i know im going to get more performance out of the VXR plus it handles way better and i love the look

bill142
11th December 2006, 10:13 PM
I saw a red one at the local shopping centre last week sometime. Would have got a pic, but I smashed the screen on my phone.

btm
12th December 2006, 08:42 AM
i'm still yet to even see one in the flesh... so jealous that you have actually got to take one for a fang

GreyRex
12th December 2006, 08:54 AM
Got it again last night. This time my mum took it for a drive. She couldn't believe how fast it was (although I did put on that little Sport button for her... hmm) haha. She just has a normal SV6, but she said it was scary:eek:

OPC
12th December 2006, 10:39 AM
Got it again last night. This time my mum took it for a drive. She couldn't believe how fast it was (although I did put on that little Sport button for her... hmm) haha. She just has a normal SV6, but she said it was scary:eek:

hold the sports button in for about 5 seconds next time

Geebs
12th December 2006, 04:16 PM
hold the sports button in for about 5 seconds next time

Yes - thats alot of fun! Bye bye ESP!!

OPC
12th December 2006, 04:47 PM
Yes - thats alot of fun! Bye bye ESP!!

hehehe and bye bye tyres

blueraven
12th December 2006, 06:59 PM
dont you mean tyre? :D

OPC
12th December 2006, 07:03 PM
dont you mean tyre? :D

NO... .....................

blueraven
12th December 2006, 08:34 PM
really? i didnt think the vxr came with and lsd??

sorry i thought the reference was in sport mode with tc/esp off its a tyre frying machine..wellif it does have lsd then sweet :D..but i know mine still wears out front left way too fast :(

SSS_Hoon
12th December 2006, 09:01 PM
dont have too be a lsd to wear out both my pulsar aint a lsd but still spins both on accoasion.

SSS_Hoon

OPC
13th December 2006, 12:04 PM
dont have too be a lsd to wear out both my pulsar aint a lsd but still spins both on accoasion.

SSS_Hoon

what he said...

digifish
13th December 2006, 04:52 PM
hehehe and bye bye tyres

Ha, I just realised I could do that on my CDTi, 320 Nm of torque and no traction control is a bit silly...it went back on after 2 minutes :)

digifish

sparks
16th December 2006, 03:48 PM
Yep took a black vxr for a drive today drove nice clutch is a bit funny but all in all great package.can see that when modded will go hard mine would rip a stock on.once modded might be a different story.