PDA

View Full Version : #$%$%!!!!! Not Happy!

oneightoo
11th December 2006, 12:27 AM
garrr its just one thing after the other..

was driving home today, about 5 minutes from my house, when my car lost power for a second or 2 then went back to normal, but as i lost power i looked in the rear vision mirror, and to my shock was the this massive plume of smoke!! and im talking a really thick plume of smoke.. so i pulled her over and had a look.. the smoke was coming from the exhaust.. there was also what sounded like a rattling sound in the exhaust..

im thinking ive blown the cat.. but then, i didnt think you could blow a cat!! unless theres something wrong with the engine??

only thing i can think of is today i had to top up the oil, as for some reason after the last serice, old mate didnt tighten the sump plug and it was drippin a little oil.. now when i topped it up, i did go slightly over the max mark on the dipstick, but im only talking like half a centremetre over the max line.. could this possibly be the reason? too much oil in there??

in the 5 mins to drive home from where it happened, there was no more smoke.. the engine was running smoothly, it was like nothing had happened, except i now have a rattle in the exhaust when i accelerate..

btm
11th December 2006, 07:11 AM
unlucky dude :(

InsaneAsylum
11th December 2006, 07:16 AM
overfilling the oil will cause smoke to come out of exhaust as you mentioned.

i blew a cat once, but the police charged me for it. they said something like "bestiality", but i have no idea what they're talking about...

anyway, see how it goes. if the oil level or water level are dropping it could suggest something really bad.

not sure about the rattle in your exhaust though, but keep an eye out on those fluids.

EL BURITO
11th December 2006, 08:42 AM
Bassulars cat blew out his exhaust a while back so it can happen on the Calibras

CJB
11th December 2006, 08:55 AM
Might be time for the Turbo, or VXR ;)

sorry to hear man. I have nothing constructive to say other then that :)

oneightoo
11th December 2006, 09:33 AM
yeah your right crispy.. might be time i got that supra i always wanted..

btm
11th December 2006, 09:34 AM
just make sure you remove that rear wing ;)

oneightoo
11th December 2006, 09:41 AM
hells yeah! im not a fan of that big wing..

nigel
11th December 2006, 10:12 AM
Keep an eye on how much oil the car is going through a small drip shouldnt
have you to top up.[burning oil].
Check if your mainfold seals are ok.

oneightoo
11th December 2006, 10:14 AM
engine bay looks fine, i checked the seals, doesnt seem to be anything unusual there..

JasonGilholme
11th December 2006, 12:39 PM
I don't think it was because of the oil. If anything you will have slightly higher oil pressure which isn't a problem.

What can happen, especially during hotter weather or even if your car is running too lean, is that your cat heats up too much and the internals of the cat melt.

if you can, unbolt the cat and give it a shake. See if it rattles.

You'll be able to smell it if your cat is dead.

Jase

PS Just thought....shouldn't an emissions light come up on the dash if the cat is rooted??

blueraven
11th December 2006, 01:38 PM
sounds like your cat is stuffed, but i am not sure about the oil.. sure overfilling will make you burn oil, but i dunno about a plume of smoke..overfilling oil can make you blow all kinds of seals tho :(

what your cat goes and the internals disintergrate, you can have intermittent power problems, i know when mine went i was on the freeway and it just woulndt rev, had my foot flat and it barely made it to 100kph...pulled off the freeway think i had a major problem....but then as i was pulling off it went back to normal and was fine for a few days...then massive loss of power for a day...then fine..then screwed etc.. till finally it stayed screwed and then i got a new cat :P not expensive, should be less than $200 including fitting etc.
(another thing is that if your cat gets full of oil...then you go for a long drive the oil heats up and accelerates killing the cat...but a cat full of oil, when it heated up, would prolly cause a nice big plume of smoke too ;) )

JasonGilholme
11th December 2006, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a reasonable explanation there blueraven.

Noir
11th December 2006, 08:50 PM

:drool:

A Supra is my dream car. Definately better without the wing.

platypus
12th December 2006, 06:58 PM
sounds like you need more info...

ITS THE OIL!!!

the engine stalled as when the oil is too high it is burned through the intake ... because you were moving the engine was kept spinning which cleared the oil through it...

check your dipstick and drain if necessary...

oneightoo
12th December 2006, 07:39 PM
ok i checked the oil on the dipstick and it's just over the max line.. i'll drain it tomorrow..

would this have caused any internal damage to the engine?

platypus
12th December 2006, 10:56 PM
ok i checked the oil on the dipstick and it's just over the max line.. i'll drain it tomorrow..

would this have caused any internal damage to the engine?

you only need the excess out, no more... if its not by much you may as well leave it...

it won't really do much damage (but being OPEL god only knows whats going on now), blow by won't, but it will have gummed up your internals, as well as your intake, nothing to stress over, but i'd remove even just the gear around the TB and clean that up as well as the plastic intake piping, the rest should be ok

oneightoo
12th December 2006, 11:06 PM
sweet, thanks for that.. these calibra's arent exactly the cheapest bastids to repair either..