PDA

View Full Version : Astra short shift kit

FreeRide
19th May 2004, 06:39 PM
Finally I got my B&M short shifter today for my 02 SRi (ordered it on 18/2/04). I probably wont put it in until the w/e but a have a spanky new digital camera so i will write up a how-to :D and hopefully not a how-not-to :oops: .

It comes with everything you need including grease and instructions (we shall see how detailed they are!). The info in the box claims it can be fitted by someone with limited techo knowledge. It would appear the main problem will be getting the gear knob off. Has anyone taken their gear knob off sucessfully???

Anonymous
19th May 2004, 06:42 PM
How much you pay for it dude?

Dregger
19th May 2004, 06:42 PM
use a rubber mallet and to tap it off from the ground upwards.

or if your super strong like me you can just twist and pull it off! :mrgreen: it can be done....i did it!

Anonymous
19th May 2004, 06:51 PM
use a rubber mallet and to tap it off from the ground upwards.

or if your super strong like me you can just twist and pull it off! :mrgreen: it can be done....i did it!

:roll: Sound like ya have alot Practise pulling ya Knob Off :D

Jass
19th May 2004, 07:31 PM
Finally I got my B&M short shifter today for my 02 SRi (ordered it on 18/2/04). I probably wont put it in until the w/e but a have a spanky new digital camera so i will write up a how-to :D and hopefully not a how-not-to :oops: .

It comes with everything you need including grease and instructions (we shall see how detailed they are!). The info in the box claims it can be fitted by someone with limited techo knowledge. It would appear the main problem will be getting the gear knob off. Has anyone taken their gear knob off sucessfully???

Awsome man, mine is on order should come in a few weeks. Cant wait.
Rocket industries can import them for the astra.

Anonymous
19th May 2004, 07:38 PM
guys gimme more info on this please...

Jass
19th May 2004, 07:57 PM
Rocket industries dude in Sydney

Check them out

Anonymous
19th May 2004, 08:00 PM
danke!

astra_city
19th May 2004, 09:03 PM
Will this short shifter fit the gearbox for the 1.8 Astra??
Let me know how it is once fitted Freeride and Jass!

anicorsa
19th May 2004, 09:05 PM
http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/

Didnt have a Barina one. :(

dannysport18
20th May 2004, 03:48 AM
there is a clip on the bottom of the gear stick just unclip the lot and clip in the new one takes about 5 mins i will stick up a how to for you

Jass
20th May 2004, 07:16 AM
Yeah dany if you know how to do it, please stick a how to, last thing i want to do it break the orginal gear stick.

dannysport18
20th May 2004, 08:43 AM
i am in sunny england but i take it you have the same b&m shifter as i have there is a clip on the bottom of the shaft you will see a small black clip you need to push this clip and pull it back then the shaft should just pull out there should be a sheet of paper in the box with a few pic's tha give you a idea of what i am going on about i will dig my one out and post it on hear 2moro as i an noving house at the mo

FreeRide
20th May 2004, 10:16 PM
same b&m shifter as i have there is a clip on the bottom of the shaft you will see a small black clip you need to push this clip and pull it back then the shaft should just pull out

Nah! not quite that simple!
I put it in this arvo. The instructions in the box are probably more suited to the pontiac sunfire or chev whatever it was that uses the same stick.

Had a few hiccups (literally too, ive had 'em all arvo!) both removing old and replacing new. The B&M instructions I got sucked eggs. Now that I have it all sussed it should be much simpler for others- took some pix at different stages. I didnt even have to remove the gear knob or destroy anything (well, anything important). I suggest you do it during the day when you dont run out of natural light as i did :oops:

When i finally got the sonofabitch in there it would only go into 3rd n 4th but i managed to persuade it to be good. Took it for a quick test run up and down the hill and it seemed ok. Felt (obviously) shorter but also crisper than standard.

cost me 320 seeds. Not cheap by any standards...

astra_city
20th May 2004, 11:18 PM
Good to hear you got it in. Let us know how you like it once you get a bit more used to it.

Degen-Astra
20th May 2004, 11:42 PM
Freeride - What year is your Astra?

EDIT - I just saw you said 02

Jass
21st May 2004, 06:53 AM
same b&m shifter as i have there is a clip on the bottom of the shaft you will see a small black clip you need to push this clip and pull it back then the shaft should just pull out

Nah! not quite that simple!
I put it in this arvo. The instructions in the box are probably more suited to the pontiac sunfire or chev whatever it was that uses the same stick.

Had a few hiccups (literally too, ive had 'em all arvo!) both removing old and replacing new. The B&M instructions I got sucked eggs. Now that I have it all sussed it should be much simpler for others- took some pix at different stages. I didnt even have to remove the gear knob or destroy anything (well, anything important). I suggest you do it during the day when you dont run out of natural light as i did :oops:

When i finally got the sonofabitch in there it would only go into 3rd n 4th but i managed to persuade it to be good. Took it for a quick test run up and down the hill and it seemed ok. Felt (obviously) shorter but also crisper than standard.

cost me 320 seeds. Not cheap by any standards...

Hey free ride if you can post a how to. Iam sure there are a few guys that could benifit from what you have learned (myself included). You paid $320 for it damn, that is expensive, mine is costing me much cheaper then that.

Anonymous
21st May 2004, 01:21 PM
Jass, how much you forking out for yours?

FreeRide
22nd May 2004, 07:29 PM
[ You paid $320 for it damn, that is expensive, mine is costing me much cheaper then that.

Dammit!!!!!!

I took it for a hoon this morning. missed the shift from 2nd to 3rd then the shift from 3rd to 4th. I think that was more operator error than technical error. It will take a bit of getting used to but it feels great. big fan. once i get used to it 'twill be fully sikk uleh!

dont worry bruz, the how-to is on its way. I hope to have it done sometime this week...

My04SRi
22nd May 2004, 07:41 PM
is there one for the barina SRi

Degen-Astra
22nd May 2004, 08:07 PM
Not as yet...But Frankie is on the case. :D

anicorsa
22nd May 2004, 08:21 PM
is there one for the barina SRi

I've searched hi and low for one.. but to no avail... :(

Hopefully Frankie will be able to make one. :)

sparksy
23rd May 2004, 12:04 AM
Riddle me this batman, If the 1.8 astra and the SRi barina both use the same donk, and the gear ratios are the same inside the boxes (axle ratio is different though I think) then we should be able to fit the astra one to the barina.

Anyone thought to call Holden to see if the part numbers for the stock shifters are the same? Moght save a little legwork if they are.

anicorsa
23rd May 2004, 12:24 AM
I assumed it was different...

If it was the same, then B&M would've stated that the Astra would fit the Corsa.

I dunno, could be wrong. :?

sparksy
23rd May 2004, 12:30 AM
I assumed it was different...

If it was the same, then B&M would've stated that the Astra would fit the Corsa.

I dunno, could be wrong. :?

I could be wrong too. :D

anicorsa
23rd May 2004, 12:31 AM
I might give Holden a call this week...

dannysport18
23rd May 2004, 10:54 AM
http://uploader.co.uk/images/p5210191.jpg
a pic of the clip
this is the clip on my one

FreeRide
26th May 2004, 08:57 PM
Sweet mary mother of god, if only mine was as uncomplicated as that! It bears ab-so-frickin-lutely no resemblance to the shift in mine whatsoever.

you can open yours up easyily to see whether it is the same or different to that shown. Start by levering the front edge of the curved plastic section between the gear stick and handbrake. it will pop out revealing two security-bit screws. you can jam a small allen key in these if u dont have the proper tool. undo these 2 and you will be able lift off the shifter boot and surround. Now you can see what you are in for. if yours looks like Dannys- good for you! If not, dont fret but it will be a bit more involved. As i have said i will do a how-to but not tonight! If it rains on friday, i'll be in front of a computer...

Dregger
27th May 2004, 08:23 PM
** tip** free ride to get easy access without need to remove screw and plastic bit,, all you do it pull on a corner of the boot, and it will come out.....prob hard to explain but if i showed you, you would be kicking yourself!

FreeRide
1st June 2004, 03:49 PM
** tip** free ride to get easy access without need to remove screw and plastic bit,, all you do it pull on a corner of the boot, and it will come out.....prob hard to explain but if i showed you, you would be kicking yourself!

I think i get what you are saying but you need to get both hands in there like you are a vet at a stud farm to actually do the job, so the more room the better.

I scribbled down a quick "how i did it" last nightshift @ work. will type that up into a "how you should do it" with the pix i took as soon as i get the inclination :D Since it took 12 weeks to actually get the parts, ive got plenty o' time before Jass get his!

P.S. I absolutely love it now. works a charm when you are really on the noise. The gear knob is a bit on the cold side at 6:30am though!!