PDA

View Full Version : AH Astra SRI Turbo - Review from WA.

digifish
6th December 2006, 09:18 PM
Astra SRI - Review from WA.

http://www.thegarage.com.au/review_details_show.php?rid=80&rtype

digifish

Wraith
7th December 2006, 09:51 AM
Quite a favourablr review :)

Lucky though, this new AH has fantastic looks and external appeal, that's it's biggest attribute IMHO, otherwise I think it would be struggling when compared to the competition....:rolleyes:

Mr T
7th December 2006, 10:15 AM
Good review...but 7.5sec 0-100 isn't really a performance car in 2006 is it?

OPC
7th December 2006, 11:23 AM

it is if you own a hyundai ;)

luvpsi
7th December 2006, 11:25 AM
its a bit too heavy (compared to TS) and perhaps a bit underpowered but it looks great:D

digifish
7th December 2006, 11:30 AM

...and the CDTi does about 8...

:)

Mr T
7th December 2006, 11:54 AM
it is if you own a hyundai ;)

Actually...the current model Hyundai Sonata runs 7.5 Sec as well and the Granduer runs 7.2.

blueraven
7th December 2006, 12:50 PM
pretty sure the tiburon runs about the same too....

Wraith
7th December 2006, 12:54 PM
Tuning should improve it's 'quaint' standard performance :)

Like I said, lucky it has it in the looks department ;)

kabel
7th December 2006, 02:26 PM
Golf GTI 0-100km 7.2seconds...................
Not a performance car either?

blueraven
7th December 2006, 02:44 PM
hot hatch yes, performance car not really.

kabel
7th December 2006, 03:00 PM
Guess it all depends on your performance car or hot hatch needs/wants really......
As long as we all enjoy what we own or drive they can all be improved to perform better with money and time!

CJB
7th December 2006, 03:01 PM
If you have looks on your side, you can always improve the performance side with tuning, cold air inductions, exhaust...

I'm not a performance car kinda guy, but I went for a ride in one yesterday, and I felt it did alright, especially going UP Mount Gravatt mountain.

Mr T
7th December 2006, 03:33 PM
Golf's do 6.5...

The point I was trying to make was that the supposed hot hatch explosion is very quickly becoming outdated, these cars need to continually evolve...Have a look at the performance of the following family cars:

Toyota Aurion* - 7.2
Hyundai Granduer* - 7.2
Hyundai Sonata* - 7.5
Holden Vectra V6 - 7.5
Holden Commodore (SV6)* - 7.5
Mitsubishi 380* - 7.6
Nissan Maxima* - 7.8
Ford Falcon - 7.8

*Released in the last 18 months and with significant improvement over the previous model.

Granted the G SRi-T was rated at 7.2 Sec, but at that time the asterixed cars on that list were running 8's, 9's and most likely even 10 sec 0-100.

SSS_Hoon
7th December 2006, 03:41 PM
actually the Golf GTI manual does 7.2 and the DSG 6.9 although have seen video of the DSG do it in 6 flat how ligit that is is debatable though, i think a 6.5 is about right though.

i agree though they call them hot hatches but not really when you compare them to the cars glenn has listed, you want at least 5 sec range now that is a hot hatch mmmm S3 anyone?

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
7th December 2006, 03:46 PM
That's some interesting facts there Mr T - very true .

I suppose if you are an individual looking for performance as well as looks you have to step up to the expensive end of the 'hot hatch' market - VXR, MPS 3, R32 etc. in which case those cars above win hands down in terms of value for money.

I'd probably go for a VE SS instead - value, looks and performance in abundance - pity about the huge size - damn I hope they do a 2 door VE !!! :)

SSS_Hoon
7th December 2006, 03:47 PM
the audi S3 you mean that is the high end of the market hehehe.

yeah the new ss is ok looking i guess, too bad there wont be any of them used as highway patrol cars though aint it.

SSS_Hoon

Shaun
7th December 2006, 09:50 PM
The AH Astra SRi T is all about Value for money and thats what you get. Package that is well priced That is well rounded. if you want the Top end of the scale from Holden you would go for the VXR. But i think the SRi T is priced well for what its got. I have driven a new SRi T. 6 speed box is great. So is the IDS. Car handles alot better then the last SRi T. (Can comment as i have driven both)
But My money is still going to a VXR next year.

SSS_Hoon
8th December 2006, 04:36 AM
The AH Astra SRi T is all about Value for money and thats what you get. Package that is well priced That is well rounded. if you want the Top end of the scale from Holden you would go for the VXR. But i think the SRi T is priced well for what its got. I have driven a new SRi T. 6 speed box is great. So is the IDS. Car handles alot better then the last SRi T. (Can comment as i have driven both)
But My money is still going to a VXR next year.

wooo hooo bout time shaun. remember you owe us a drive in it hehehehehe.

SSS_Hoon

kabel
8th December 2006, 09:57 AM
Shaun,
Agree with your comments,drove an Astra SRI T,drove a VXR and decided the extra money was worth it,never drove the last model turbo but I do own an 03 SRI 2.2 also and kind of regretted not `going the whole hog` when I purchased,I had never owned a new car(always drove old V8`s and 6`s) so I was nervous about spending so much money.
Had the VXR for about a month now and am more than happy with it,
good luck with your purchase next year I am sure you will enjoy it also.

Tfer
8th December 2006, 10:06 AM
I think the new SRI-T's are great value.... to me very reasonable performance for a very reasonable price. And if you want the extra bang, either mod the SRI-T or get the VXR :D

I think Holden have actually gotten it right for once ;)

OPC
8th December 2006, 11:30 AM
Shaun,
Agree with your comments,drove an Astra SRI T,drove a VXR and decided the extra money was worth it,never drove the last model turbo but I do own an 03 SRI 2.2 also and kind of regretted not `going the whole hog` when I purchased,I had never owned a new car(always drove old V8`s and 6`s) so I was nervous about spending so much money.
Had the VXR for about a month now and am more than happy with it,
good luck with your purchase next year I am sure you will enjoy it also.

i was in the same boat mate... i bought the 2.2 then 6 months later went back and traded it for the turbo now 3 years later ive traded it for the vxr

kabel
8th December 2006, 11:39 AM
``i was in the same boat mate... i bought the 2.2 then 6 months later went back and traded it for the turbo now 3 years later ive traded it for the vxr``
Are you happy with it?
I used to own a E48 Six Pack Charger and while it was quick
and looked stunning thinking back about the hassles involved with it,or any 70`s musclecar(still own a 318 powered Valiant) the VXR is just fantastic>
And it would have cost more to get back into a Six Pack than a VXR !

Wraith
8th December 2006, 01:00 PM
Kabel, you sound like you've got a similar car history to myself - ie: older muscle car V8's and sixes.:)

I've only recently gone into the turbo 4 pot and small 6 cylinder range of cars - not bad yes - but I do miss my high power V8's.

Waiting/hoping a new 2 door V8 coupe is comming then I'm going back to one, still gonna keep my Astra T though :)

Mr T
8th December 2006, 03:00 PM
I think there are a few of us with V8 histories...

...my previous car was a VK 304 that ran 13.8 (not quick by todays standards, but it done the job)

OPC
8th December 2006, 05:27 PM
I think there are a few of us with V8 histories...

...my previous car was a VK 304 that ran 13.8 (not quick by todays standards, but it done the job)

damn glenn... backwards ? well then again so have i now... 13.9 to a 14 something (not for long)

``
Are you happy with it?

yes i am very happy...

Shaun
8th December 2006, 11:24 PM
wooo hooo bout time shaun. remember you owe us a drive in it hehehehehe.

SSS_Hoon

Some time next year i hope to Pick up an Arden Blue VXR. Im thinking i might put mine on the market some time after christmas.

OPC
9th December 2006, 01:20 PM
Some time next year i hope to Pick up an Arden Blue VXR. Im thinking i might put mine on the market some time after christmas.

you go girlfriend

Apex
9th December 2006, 03:38 PM
Good review.

The AH is a great bang for your bucks, with the added bonus of looking HOT.

Biggest gripe I have is the handling characteristics at high speed, the back fells nerves and twitchy and the front talk steers like a bitch, if this is better than the old TS id hate to imagine how bad they must drive!

My SRI weighs 1360kg with a full tank of gas, I found this strange as Holden seem to think they weigh over 1400kgs

SSS_Hoon
9th December 2006, 04:32 PM
damn glenn... backwards ? well then again so have i now... 13.9 to a 14 something (not for long)

yes i am very happy...

wel hurry up and get out there to get the 14 something first before you go nuts man.

my money is on a 14.4 to a 14.6

SSS_Hoon