PDA

View Full Version : Time to defend the Vectra :)

digifish
5th December 2006, 06:22 PM
Down the bottom of this thread at www.drive.com.au (http://www.drive.com.au) ...

http://blogs.drive.com.au/2006/11/dcoty_best_medium_car_was_hond.html

..someone is slanging off at the Vectra.

digifish.

bill142
5th December 2006, 07:53 PM
$20 says they own a VL.

Tfer
5th December 2006, 08:15 PM
Why bother wasting my breath on the moron..... she's a good girl and I love her to bits :D

ope126
5th December 2006, 08:34 PM
Roger That! ;)

InsaneAsylum
5th December 2006, 08:55 PM
it's ok for gay hairdressers to be jealous

you will get that from time to time

Roquefort
5th December 2006, 08:57 PM
thats a bloody outrage that is.

stevedee3
5th December 2006, 09:19 PM
I've had to wait weeks for a part for mine. Whether that's due to dealer incompetence I don't know. I've also found that dealer's aren't especially familiar with the electrical systems on the ZC Vectra, so maybe that could lead to the "hard to service" remark.

Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with my Vectra. But Mazda 6, Honda Accord Euro and Subaru Liberty are also excellent cars IMHO.

Alfonzo
5th December 2006, 09:30 PM
mmm he has a point to a degree. I was a little bit worried when I discovered that to replace the clutch in my JSII it required the entire engine to be taken out. And to replace a single bulb behind the speedo requires half the dash to be removed.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's crap though, that's too far. :(

beau
5th December 2006, 09:48 PM
theres always going to be people who like, love or hate the same car.

having said that - most people who make those comment have not ever sat in or driven the cars... i know one mate who just didnt like the honda euro coz his friend had a bad experience. - it doesnt take much for someone to not like a car, but most of the time they dont like it coz they dont make the time to find out about it and understand it.

Thaiger
6th December 2006, 04:15 PM
To an extent i agree, mainly due to bad experiences...

My mum had an Echo and when i was young i use to thrash it around because it had no guts... we ended up doing 80k with absoultely no service, nothing was at fault with the car even after 120k... NOTHING.

On the other hand my Vectra JSII has had countless problems, despite my care and serviceing on 5k intervals:

-Timing belt relplacement - $1500
-Ignition lead replacement - $300
-Sway bar links - $200
-Brake disc & pads - $500
-Headlights x2 - $50
-Rear gas struts - $180
-Timing Belt snap - $3500

Plus add the fees for servicing, battery and tyres and you have one expensive bill....

I bought the car with 80k, fully serviced with log books and 40k later and that is the result... i never thrash it around and i take good care of it.. for my first car i must admit it has been hell.

But for some reason i still love it.....

digifish
7th December 2006, 10:34 AM
-Sway bar links - $200
-Headlights x2 - $50
-Rear gas struts - $180

Ouch, that's Jaguar XJ6 kind of maintenence levels :)

digifish

Mr T
7th December 2006, 11:07 AM
To an extent i agree, mainly due to bad experiences...

My mum had an Echo and when i was young i use to thrash it around because it had no guts... we ended up doing 80k with absoultely no service, nothing was at fault with the car even after 120k... NOTHING.

On the other hand my Vectra JSII has had countless problems, despite my care and serviceing on 5k intervals:

-Sway bar links - $200
-Headlights x2 - $50
-Rear gas struts - $180

Plus add the fees for servicing, battery and tyres and you have one expensive bill....

I bought the car with 80k, fully serviced with log books and 40k later and that is the result... i never thrash it around and i take good care of it.. for my first car i must admit it has been hell.

But for some reason i still love it.....

You bought it at 80K, it now has 120K...most major service items are performed at either 50K or 60K or 100K intervals...so the time that you have owned it has been the most expensive...that's not the cars fault.

Apart from the belt snap, all other items are general maintenance. btw was the belt snap caused by not replacing it at the specified time?

Thaiger
7th December 2006, 11:13 AM
The belt snap was caused by a faulty pulley, in fact the belt did not snap, it jumped.... i had it replaced 10k before it snapped...

In comparison to the echo which is also at 120k, there has been a hell of a lot spent, compared to nothing with the echo besides general services....my point is that compared to other cars it is not that reliable & efficient, but i still love it.

Mr T
7th December 2006, 11:16 AM
The belt snap was caused by a faulty pulley, in fact the belt did not snap, it jumped.... i had it replaced 10k before it snapped...

That sux big time...:(

Wraith
7th December 2006, 12:05 PM
mmmm, interesting, this all sounds like a carbon copy/repeat of what many Calibra owners also experienced......

Looks like the same is happening with its replacement the Vecce :rolleyes:

IMHO this is mainly the dealers fault (GMH) for not being able to provide a high level of service, because of a lack of knowledge on the cars and for charging 'wounded bull' rates for parts - It's the Calibra saga all over again, to a point you can't blame owners for turning nasty.

Remember most car owners are not enthusiasts like us, so they won't always see the brighter side of cars and are easily put off by things like that.

Thaiger
7th December 2006, 12:40 PM
Remember most car owners are not enthusiasts like us, so they won't always see the brighter side of cars and are easily put off by things like that.

EXACTLY!!! My parents don't understand why i still have the veccy

InsaneAsylum
7th December 2006, 01:27 PM
agreed.... its the dealers fault not the car.

i went away from holden a long time ago and got my own private mechanic to service my vectra. one day he told me that he saw all these new twin cam heads being reco'd and ask what they were from. he was told from euro holdens they were snapping just over 80k... so when i heard that my car was about 75k so i replaced it then. now i'm up to 120k so i'll replace it again before 135k

Tfer
7th December 2006, 02:48 PM
Funny thing servicing, warranty and the like. My old Vectra JS CD 2.6l hatch had 35 inidividual warranty things done to it.... almost spent more time off the road than on (and that was after waiting 6 months for it to arrive in the country (factory could not source the leather).

Having said that, the Holden Dealer did everything expected.

And further, did it stop me from buying the Veccy C...... absolutely not, nor did I even have to think about it.:D

And anyway, compared to a lot of its competitors, it has a personality, and is not an accomplished appliance :cool:

Wraith
7th December 2006, 03:12 PM
Tfer, my friend you are a true car enthusiast :)

Only one of us would put up with something like that and keep smiling :D

Now hopefully that's a good thing or we're all saddists and just love pain and misery LOL :D

Tfer
7th December 2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks Wraith.... I just love my Veccy.... and she has been brilliant *knocks on wood* :D

Oz
7th December 2006, 06:03 PM
Thanks Wraith.... I just love my Veccy.... and she has been brilliant *knocks on wood* :D

I can't complain either, my CDXi is a good girl............ Well, I can complain about Holden taking out some of the features that are standard spec on the UK/EU top line equivilant GSI & GTS Vectra's.

Wraith
8th December 2006, 09:45 AM
I can't complain either, my CDXi is a good girl............ Well, I can complain about Holden taking out some of the features that are standard spec on the UK/EU top line equivilant GSI & GTS Vectra's.

Agree, that's one thing that really cheesed me off about my V6 Calibra and she too has been a very good girl so far :) - bloody Holden removing alot of the extras that were standard on the Euro releases........

I've since re-instated most of those features anyway and now she's even more desirable :D

Mr T
8th December 2006, 10:22 AM
Oh dear o dear...you lot need to have a cold shower...:eek:

haha :)

Wraith
8th December 2006, 12:02 PM
hahahahaha :D

Yes we are an easily excitable bunch when it comes to cars :)

Tfer
8th December 2006, 10:32 PM
Oh dear o dear...you lot need to have a cold shower...:eek:

haha :)

hahahahaha :D

Yes we are an easily excitable bunch when it comes to cars :)

Especially Veccys ;) tehehahahaha :D