PDA

View Full Version : Big problem...well not really...but a problem none the less!

mackeysam
3rd December 2006, 04:18 PM
hello all,

ok so some of you might recall i posted on opelaus about getting a massive speeding fine (82 in a 60 zone + $250 and 4 points). well, thinking about it now, i knew i was speeding, but i didn't think i was going that fast. anyway my brother drove my car today and said "i think your speedo is out a bit" because he was going dead on 60 and was passing just about every car on the road. so we came up with the idea that i should chuck it on a dyno and get them to check it out for me so that i can then possibly go back to the police and say look i've only just bought the car and haven't done any of the mods myself, so how was i to know that the speedo was out. i could the possibly negotiate getting some of my points back. its a long shot but i could try. my car is an My00 subaru impreza gx. i've heard that if u increase you're wheel size and don't fit thinner tires to the rims then you're speedo will be out but a few notches. anyway do you think that this would be the right way to go about the problem? (chucking it on a dyno) and also what is a good dyno place in brisbane...possibly not too far out from the indooroopilly area?

any help would be very much apprieciated!
cheers people!
sam

EL BURITO
3rd December 2006, 04:26 PM
well 1st compare your tyer size to the stock tyer size. Have u paid the fine cos if so i dont think u will be able to any thing if not, dont pay the thing and go to court and show them the evidence, but as things go u werestill caught braking the law so it may not do any thing.

WLD-18L
3rd December 2006, 04:32 PM
your speedo is out because the wheels fitted on your car have a larger overall rolling diameter than the stock wheels which where originally on the car.

a larger wheel takes longer to do one full turn than a small wheel, this is why your speedo is out. the new larger wheels takes longer to do one complete turn so your speedo thinks you are going slower.

i think most of the big name tyre/wheel stores can recalibrate your speedo or refer you to someone who can. maybe ask them if they can print out some sort of offical notice that you can show to vic roads or the police.

just curious what size rims are you running ?

hope this helps. dont like your chances of getting anything back tho.

oh and also be carefull if the new rims are more than 2 inches in diameter larger and more than 1 inch wider than the stock rims they are un-roadworthy, keep that in mind befor you complain !

Charlatan
3rd December 2006, 05:22 PM
You'll be throwing good money after bad if you think you have any chance of getting out of your fine. Best to get the speedo set correctly thou.

mackeysam
3rd December 2006, 05:36 PM
cheers guys that info really helps. i'll take it into my mechanic and see what he says, but ur info has been a big help. the rims ive got are 17" and i kow that the tires are low profile. yeah but what is happening is that the speedo reads 60, when really im probably going closer to 65!

cheers for that guys, any additional info would be great!
sam

Blue_Dvl
3rd December 2006, 06:29 PM
not sure about qld but in vic its not a valid excuse that your speedo is inaccurate. Its upto the owner of the vehicle to ensure its accurate. Also a +/- 10% is considered ok according to Australian Design Rules (except victoria, the speed camera state) Best of luck with it.

stevedee3
3rd December 2006, 06:36 PM
That begs the question: Does your car have to be fitted with the correct size wheels (for the speedo) in order to get a roadworthy certificate?

Tfer
3rd December 2006, 06:40 PM
Mate, I would be bouncing the speedo defence off a barrister (most solicitors have a barrister they refer to, and perhaps refer to the Topic under General of "Supporting Opelaus Members" for an Opelaus solicitor contact perhaps. It may well be worth your while, and as the old adage goes.... nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)

Good luck, and a valuable lesson for everyone

mackeysam
3rd December 2006, 06:44 PM
Mate, I would be bouncing the speedo defence off a barrister (most solicitors have a barrister they refer to, and perhaps refer to the Topic under General of "Supporting Opelaus Members" for an Opelaus solicitor contact perhaps. It may well be worth your while, and as the old adage goes.... nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)

Good luck, and a valuable lesson for everyone

haha cheers mate! and cheers to everyone who has given their two cents. ill do something about it tomorrow or tuesday, but i guess the quicker i do it...the better chance i have to get something out of it! lesson learned indeed!

cheers!

stevedee3
3rd December 2006, 08:27 PM
I would imagine the the placard on the fuel flap should tell you the stock tyre size. What size does that say and what size tyres are actually fitted? From that you should be able to tell how much the incorrect tyre size increased your speed.

mackeysam
4th December 2006, 12:57 AM
I would imagine the the placard on the fuel flap should tell you the stock tyre size. What size does that say and what size tyres are actually fitted? From that you should be able to tell how much the incorrect tyre size increased your speed.

ahhh i see...well ill have a look tomorrow and post it up...not sure of the actual tire size that is on the car atm...but ill measure it up/go online and get the measurements. but yeah cheers for that mate...shall keep you all posted...

pred8r
4th December 2006, 07:26 PM
From the last my speedo was out excuse I took to court, I was told its the owners responsibility to ensure it reads correctly (IIRC technically you only need an odometer not a speedo)

Instead of sticking it on a dyno, find someone who has a gps and borrow it.

stevedee3
4th December 2006, 08:59 PM
From the last my speedo was out excuse I took to court, I was told its the owners responsibility to ensure it reads correctly (IIRC technically you only need an odometer not a speedo)Vic Roads' Vehicle Standards Information bulletin #26 "Roadworthiness Requirements" says
Vehicles manufactured from 1 July 1988... ...must be fitted with a functioning odometer and a speedometer calibrated in km/hBut I don't know if "calibrated" means "calibrated correctly/accurately"...

Instead of sticking it on a dyno, find someone who has a gps and borrow it.That's good advice. GPS units will give quite accurate readings.

Tfer
4th December 2006, 10:52 PM
I am not sure what state you are in, but if you are in Qld and live somewhere around Bris Vegas or Gold Coast, I have a GPS. :)

mackeysam
9th December 2006, 02:56 AM
I am not sure what state you are in, but if you are in Qld and live somewhere around Bris Vegas or Gold Coast, I have a GPS. :)

oh awesome i seriously did not know that they gave speed readings. i got the wheels checked out by bob jane on wednesday and they did their thing and said that even though my wheels are aftermarket, they are perfectly fine for the car and the speedo would not have needed to be altered anyway. which means that i don't have an excuse for my stupidly large speeding fine:( however, that does not mean that their isn't anything wrong with my speedo cable or the speedo itself. Tfer if you are serious about the GPS thing then i'm up for it. i do indeed live in brisbane. its no big deal though because by law i have got it checked out and i've been told that it is fine, but if anyone here still thinks that it's worth hooking up the GPS to my car then sure i'll go for it. otherwise thankyou for the offer! let me know mate!

cheers,
sam!

Tfer
9th December 2006, 04:28 AM
oh awesome i seriously did not know that they gave speed readings. i got the wheels checked out by bob jane on wednesday and they did their thing and said that even though my wheels are aftermarket, they are perfectly fine for the car and the speedo would not have needed to be altered anyway. which means that i don't have an excuse for my stupidly large speeding fine:( however, that does not mean that their isn't anything wrong with my speedo cable or the speedo itself. Tfer if you are serious about the GPS thing then i'm up for it. i do indeed live in brisbane. its no big deal though because by law i have got it checked out and i've been told that it is fine, but if anyone here still thinks that it's worth hooking up the GPS to my car then sure i'll go for it. otherwise thankyou for the offer! let me know mate!

cheers,
sam!

Hey Sam... not a drama, and always worth exploring all options. pm sent.:)

platypus
12th December 2006, 07:13 PM
unfortunently ignorance is no excuse....

have you paid the fine? (being an admission of liability and all that jazz)

mackeysam
17th December 2006, 02:39 AM
hey everyone!

sorry ive been really busy with work so i haven't been able to come on opelaus for ages! thanks for all the input...will let u all know how it goes!