PDA

View Full Version : Name your favourite "Driver's" road

Tfer
29th November 2006, 12:50 PM
Hmmm.... I think about a lot of things when travelling the km's I do, and sometimes at really weird hours, and Dee and I were discussing this one day/night. Thought this may be another great opportunity for everyone to share (something we Queenslanders love doing, although some of the sharing is best left with only a couple and not the whole crowd :rolleyes: ).

So here it is.....

What is your favourite "Driver's" road? :comehere:

Mine? Well that is pretty simple. The road, if you can ever get a clear run, to Mossman in Far North Queensland. What a corker. Dives in and out of the rain forest, and hugs the edge of the coast, and undulates in between. Been a while though..... :o

So, let all of Opelaus know your favourite "Driver's" road, and of course, it goes without saying, that everyone always stays within the road rules, and drives responsibly. :D

MatsHolden
29th November 2006, 12:54 PM
The Great Ocean Road... Roads down Inverloch... Mornington Peninsula backroads and the Black Spur run!

claireabell
29th November 2006, 12:59 PM
Although i've never taken my Asti up .. I went for a run up to mt tamborine (qld) with my car club in an STI - that was a great run

Muchos fan of mountain runs at the moment...Looking forward to take my car up there one day shortly!!

Wraith
29th November 2006, 01:17 PM
Any Road, street, Freeway, Highway straight or bendy - dosn't matter as long as I can get a clean run on it :)

The pleasure is taken away if it's chockers with other people on it, went to Lorne a couple of years ago on the great ocean Rd. and it was one of the most frustrating drives ever, with 'Sunday' drivers holding me back sleeping through the twists and turns at 30 or 40km/h and 50-60km/h on the straights :mad: and it's one those roads where you can't overtake for the most part of it.

auzvectra
29th November 2006, 01:24 PM
SPRINGBROOK :D :D :D :D
if ya didnt notice when i gave it a short squirt of 2 on the cruise :).

InsaneAsylum
29th November 2006, 01:26 PM
being victorian i must agree on black spur

great ocean road is good... it gets really good between cape otway and port campbell

yarra blvd is also good close to the city but the yokels don't really approve of spirited driving

arhturs seat an the dandenongs of course

JasonGilholme
29th November 2006, 01:46 PM
I guess everyone from the GC area will say springbrooke. Its good but its not great. Close but no cigar from me.

There are some good roads out near maleny and a few good ones down near kyogle but i haven't found my dream road just yet.

claireabell
29th November 2006, 02:00 PM
out near maleny

I agree, up the sunshine coast range there are some magnificent roads.

Mr T
29th November 2006, 02:17 PM
Definately the Putty Rd...

It's an old loggers track through the hills and National Park between Windsor and Singleton.

Best bit is you can have fun without speeding, the limits are set very reasonably with 100km/h through the top and 80km/h through the NP. bare in mind that the lower section has several 15km/h advisory signs. Takes about 1 1/2 to get to Singleton...but then you get to turn around and go back...!!!

Lt Ketch
29th November 2006, 02:33 PM
Currently my favorite is Mountain Hwy between The Basin and Sassafras in the Dandenongs. Its not very long but nicely cornered. iI fact I did it less than an hour ago in my lunch break :D

Noir
29th November 2006, 02:35 PM
Caves Road - South West WA Busselton to Yallingup.

Blue_Dvl
29th November 2006, 02:47 PM
mountain hwy, coming down from Mt Dandenong.

oneightoo
29th November 2006, 03:07 PM
i like the M7.. jks..

any national park road..

or the road from windsor to the hawksbury river.. we set a new record in the cali on sunday arvo.. 24 mins..

auzvectra
29th November 2006, 05:08 PM
jase, thought you woulda given s/b a beta reveiw then that!
all corners are 30kmh or lower, so you can fun without goin fast (too fast :)).and all corners are camber'd right for the bend.
i love that road :). it's the safest fun on a public road, cause u dont have to break the law to enjoy it :), which is what we should be doin right :D, seems it's so hard to get onto a track :(!

low astra
29th November 2006, 05:37 PM
Mine? Well that is pretty simple. The road, if you can ever get a clear run, to Mossman in Far North Queensland. What a corker. Dives in and out of the rain forest, and hugs the edge of the coast, and undulates in between. Been a while though..... :o

yeah that is the road that first spung into mind when i saw this thread, basicaly leading from Cairns to Port Dougles/Mossman,

i did it 2 years ago in my dad's landrover discovery, that was a little......pedestrian, however when i did that road a few times in my cousins grange it was posibly the most fun ive had in the car, with the motor on anyway

PaulyJ
29th November 2006, 05:50 PM
Victoria:
1) Kinglake Spur
2) Reefton Spur
3) Black Spur
4) Great Ocean Road
5) Mount Dandenong
6) Grampians
7) Arthurs Seat
8) Mornington backroads

Geebs
29th November 2006, 06:14 PM
I have been living in Victoria for the past 3 years... Grew up in NSW. Roads there are definitely nicer.

Nicest drive for me is the drive to Wollongong via the National Park, stopping also up at Stanwell Tops. Love it!
Also in NSW there was a rd toward the North that I used to love driving on but can't remember the exact name - I think it was Bells Line of Rd??

For a short trip, love the LaPerouse cruise and cruising down to Cronulla and Kurnell.

A for VIC,
Great Ocean Rd is great although hard to overtake the slow idiots, love the roads around the Grampians and for a short quick drive, the drive down the Esplanade from StKilda to Mentone is pretty cool too - specially on a nice day....

PaulyJ
29th November 2006, 06:29 PM
Geebs, come out on the cruises with us a bit more, and we'll show you the beautiful roads in Victoria.

vectraguy01
29th November 2006, 08:50 PM
Qld: Springbrook and Border Ranges.
Vic: Great Ocean Road
Tas: 99 Bends, Elephant Pass, and Most importantly 'The Channel', which starts in a residental area then is like the springbrook run

auzvectra
29th November 2006, 09:32 PM
yeah, border ranges has a few really good bits :), but it's too far away :(, i live at the base of springbrook, thats why i love it :).
i come down that mountain faster than most cars in the old work car, a lifted old jackaroo, still not speeding, but thing actuall goes round corners pretty well :).

Lt Ketch
29th November 2006, 10:46 PM
Harrietville to Mt Hotham! Winter OR Summer!

PaulyJ
30th November 2006, 12:13 AM
I'd post up the video i took tonight of the run Pete and I did thru Mt Dandenong... but its 330mb...

Misguidedangel
30th November 2006, 12:42 AM
theres lots of roads i like driving actually...

National Park run is always good (haven't taken the astra through it, but thrashed the lancer through it more than a couple of times... even with crap suspension)

Old pacific Highway (used to drive it about twice a week when i was dating some guys up the central coast)

Bulli Pass is also very awesome

Springwood road up through the bottom of the blue mountains

Putty road

oh and Kangaroo Valley hehe

EL BURITO
30th November 2006, 12:50 AM
Mundaring Weir Rd is fun even better when its empty

Noir
30th November 2006, 12:53 AM
Mundaring Weir Rd is fun even better when its empty

and a great ending in Kalamunda at the hotel :D

Mr T
30th November 2006, 09:22 AM
Nicest drive for me is the drive to Wollongong via the National Park, stopping also up at Stanwell Tops. Love it!
Also in NSW there was a rd toward the North that I used to love driving on but can't remember the exact name - I think it was Bells Line of Rd??

Yeah, Bells Line Of Road man but it's west not north...It's not that good anymore, the limits have been reduced, It's mostly 80 now with the odd 70 thrown in for good measure...just to make it look like they care...:boohoo:

btm
30th November 2006, 09:43 AM
putty road gets my vote

rjastra
30th November 2006, 10:41 AM
In no particular order

Putty Road (but only the bends near the singleton end)
Broke/Wollombi Road
Oxley Highway
Thunderbolts Way
Alpine Way
Adaminaby to Kiandra, Kiandra to Khancoban, Berridale to Adaminaby
Brown Mtn
Clyde Mtn
Road to Jenolan Caves
Royal National Park
Jindabyne to Cooma via Dalgety
Bulladelah Bends (they have been bypassed ;) )

Roads that suck
JUst about any in the Blue Mtns
Old pacific highway - too slow, too many police, too many idiots.
Any roads with tourists and caravans etc. PASS!

The point is that you have to get out there and do a bit of driving before you get to the really good roads that are light on traffic and police.

JR
30th November 2006, 11:04 AM
for sydney siders - the best driver's road would have to b good old parramatta road!!!!! NOT - hahhahhaha

seriously though - dunno. i haven't done much scenic driving. i need to get out more n get more cruisy wit my baby ;)

might check out some of the road u lot have mentioned.

Gildo
30th November 2006, 05:50 PM
bobin head road through to the m2 side, then down to old pacific highway.

:D atleast once a week, but becarfull can get bumpy through bobbin head

15 NOX
30th November 2006, 08:51 PM
I really enjoy driving in Tasmania. Alot of the terrain is mountainous, so lots of curves to wind your way through, lots of rainforest runs too.

Provided you can avoid getting caught behind the logging trucks, and it is not winter (ie snow and icy roads), the roads are mostly uncrowded and give you the chance to test out the handling and cornering ability of your car.

Apex
30th November 2006, 09:50 PM
Mine would have to be the roads from Clevedon to Miranda south of Auckland,a very nice coastal drive, stop at Kaiaua for fish and chips. Choice Bro!:D

WLD-18L
1st December 2006, 05:54 PM
any road with some nice bends where i can smack it down a gear and have some real fun and actully drive the car,

jvl
1st December 2006, 08:46 PM
A few ones off the top of my head - but basically the best roads tend to be in hilly areas with lots of corners.
the back road up to Mt Cootha past all the TV Towers (the one that nobody uses - well not after 11pm at night anyway)
Mt Nebo (this is really dangerous stretch of road though - it is the only road I can recall where I am actually adhering to the suggested corner speed signs)
Gold Coast Hinterland - many great stretches of road
Mt Gravatt also isnt too bad however the road is too narrow... Im always worried that some fool will come flying around one of the blnd corners using the whole roadI am also a fan of a number of freeway on ramps, however the thrill is always too short..... ala Miles Platting Rd on ramp heading north onto the Gateway :)