PDA

View Full Version : Written off car - need advice

oneightoo
27th November 2006, 06:52 PM
basically im after some advice/options for my little brother..

he has/had an R33 Skyline GTS-t which got badly t-boned over the weekend, the side of the car is where the gear stick is, completley snapped chasis.. he was lucky to get out with just a bruise on his knee..

now, he is hell bent on keeping a skyline.. his one has been modded extensively..

what i would like to do is help him get a skyline back on the road as quick as possible, ive got a few idea's as to what he can do, but i'd like to throw it out to the car minded people on opelaus for idea's..

an idea i had was buy from an auction an auto skyline with a blown motor and just switch all the parts over.. would this be the quickest and most cost effective way of getting a functional skyline back on the road?

any ideas, even if you think they are not worth posting about, please do.. ive got one very in debt little brother who has just lost his pride and joy because of some moronic driver..

thanks

EL BURITO
27th November 2006, 06:56 PM
the parts exchange dosnt sound like a bad idea. would u have issues with the Dept Transport eg it being road leagal and registrable

blueraven
27th November 2006, 07:17 PM
basically im after some advice/options for my little brother..

an idea i had was buy from an auction an auto skyline with a blown motor and just switch all the parts over.. would this be the quickest and most cost effective way of getting a functional skyline back on the road?

thanks

Jeeeeez..glad your brother is ok man.

but yeah, that sounds your best bet, pick up one with high kms or a blown one and swap it all over. hopefully you can do most of it youself, so you can come out without 'too' much expense.

er..no insurance?

low astra
27th November 2006, 07:23 PM
look at repo acuations if u can find em, maybe might be able to get a shell from a importer cheaper than buying a whole car,

oneightoo
27th November 2006, 07:37 PM
thats what i figured..

and no, theres no insurance..

does anyone know of any auction websites?

Blue_Dvl
27th November 2006, 08:17 PM
yeah purchasing another lower spec model and changing parts is the way to go. As long as its all factory running gear, the changeover of parts shouldnt be a problem with RTA.

maloo97
27th November 2006, 09:32 PM
182 sorry to hear about your little bro's car but dude try this site http://www.fowles.com.au/

InsaneAsylum
28th November 2006, 12:50 AM
BINGO! buy thrashed/blown engine auto skyline for the win, then do a cardio pulmonary transplant

PaulyJ
28th November 2006, 01:06 AM
I'm sure your cousin Habib can steal one for $50...

hehe
on a serious note, glad to hear your brother is ok. Thats the main thing.
I think what has been above is the best thing to do.
Your brother would need to completely strip the wreck, including lsd, looms etc (i've heard the looms are diff in auto/man and turbo/non turbo skylines)

InsaneAsylum
28th November 2006, 08:25 AM
I'm sure your cousin Habib can steal one for $50...

hehe
on a serious note, glad to hear your brother is ok. Thats the main thing.
I think what has been above is the best thing to do.
Your brother would need to completely strip the wreck, including lsd, looms etc (i've heard the looms are diff in auto/man and turbo/non turbo skylines)

my cousin habib doesn't do mates rates for skips though :p

btm
28th November 2006, 08:36 AM
if he was T-boned, then how was the accident his faut? Shouldnt the other car involved be paying for repairs?

Or did he run a red or give way sign or something?

Glad to hear he's ok but man :)

Wraith
28th November 2006, 08:42 AM
Phew, when I read the title of the thread, I thought you'd written off one of the Cali's :eek:

Good to see it's still o.k.....:)

Mr T
28th November 2006, 09:27 AM
Phew, when I read the title of the thread, I thought you'd written off one of the Cali's :eek:

Good to see it's still o.k.....:)

HAHAHA...oh well at least your hearts in the right place...:cool:

Yeah, I think you know what to do....it sounds like the way to go.

Lt Ketch
28th November 2006, 10:14 AM
Yu Can Do eIt

oneightoo
28th November 2006, 10:25 AM
cool, i thought that would be the best way to go..

nup, it was little brother's fault.. he was turning right onto a 2 lane road, there were cars in the far lane but not the close one, he turned into the close one and someone changed lanes right into him.. he got done for neg driving..

lol, it's all good wraith, the cali's are still safe.. little brother will be driving my red cali around for a while now..

besides the cali would have been to quick to get hit :p

JasonGilholme
29th November 2006, 01:56 PM
Just make sure the chassis is older then the engine. i've heard alot of people say that its illegal to put an engine in a car that is older then the chassis. (ie you won't be able to put a 94 engine in a 96 chassis)