PDA

View Full Version : New GT-R is go for Oz

Wraith
27th November 2006, 08:58 AM
The question about this was raised not too long ago in another thread well -

Had a quick read of the new Wheels mag, good feature article in there on the new Godzilla and it's a definite for Australia, some time late next year.....

In fact Nissan says it'll be sold around the World in most countries.

Good news - looks fantastic, power to be at least 330kw and 550nm, (although Nissan say they're going to do a 370kw variant), new AWD technology and of course phenominal performance straight off the showroom floor with heaps more tuning potential. :D

Bad news - price, well over 100k :(

There's also pics of next years new rex hatch and Lan Evo Mk10, the rex looks not bad, have Subaru finally after a decade and a half stopped hitting it with the ugly stick LOL :D

Mk10 Lan Evo looks way out there, it'll also have a DSG type trans option, time for SSSHoon to upgrade from the GTi :D (joke)

Can't wait to see the new R35 in the flesh, they are going to be an AWESOME sight indeed on the roads and they are definitely going to Dominate !!!!

beau
27th November 2006, 09:06 AM
yeah they look mad! (well what you can see of it in the mag)

only problem is at the moment they are saying that they will not be making any in manual.....

fully optioned ones are said to be sold in japan for approx $100,000 so the price for us aussies will be mid 100's i think.

btm
27th November 2006, 09:19 AM
no manual??? eh??

SSS_Hoon
27th November 2006, 10:06 AM
not for me too upgrade the GTI is the missus car i own a SSS so yeah to a R35 GTR would be nice hehehehe actually would still prefer the good old r32 gtr v spec though.

BTM no maual umm at this time no, as most performance car makers these days realise that the manual just aint upto the task anymore and there is better technology out there.

although changing gears without a clutch pedal does take some time to get used too.

SSS_Hoon

Mr T
27th November 2006, 10:38 AM
The situation with a few manufacturers is that they don't have a Manual (and some cases an Auto) that can handle the torque that these engines put out.

Wraith
27th November 2006, 11:04 AM
A DSG or SMG box for the new R35 would be ok by me :)

I've driven both E36 and E46 M3's with their SMG box and I quite liked it, I actually prefer it to a normal manual, (ie: as long as it's still a true manual and not just a steering wheel paddle shifted auto).

It's as good as an auto for painstaking traffic situations, as good or better than a manual for spirited/performance driving, best of both worlds.......although without some of the obvious fun of playing with the clutch :rolleyes:

I also believe that the days of the traditional manual are numbered, given time all cars will be either auto or some sort of DSG/SMG set up.

beau
27th November 2006, 12:21 PM
stock GTR will be approx 360kw.

they say its capable of over 380kw but have to comply with emmisions and stuff.

for $150,000 would anyone here buy one? (lets say u had that money to spend on a car)

Mr T
27th November 2006, 12:41 PM
If it does come here...and sells, I bet HSV will pull their finger out and unleash the potential of the VE.

Wraith
27th November 2006, 01:13 PM
360kw is easy done since it's being powered by a 3.7ltr TT.
Tuning will see that figure well over 400kw, as it will have the proper internals to begin with and a power figure of over 100kw/ltr is no problem, for these sort of engines - hell they can extract more than 150kw/ltr from 2.0ltr wrx's and Lan Evo's.

Yes, true that, HSV have a 500BHP (373kw) VE GTS in the pipeline which they want to put up against cars like the M5 !

Also remember that Walkinshaw performance are now offering supercharger kits for the VE as well........so no shortage of power and a blown VE or even earlier Commos are instant 11sec 400m machines.

If you upgrade internals, the sky's the limit with these big V8's, there are already some out there doing well over 1000kw !

Question is though, how will they compare in handling and as an overall sports car package compared with true 'ground up' performance machines like this new GT-R.....

Money wise, you couldn't go wrong by buying a s/h Monaro or even a new VE SS fitting a good TT or supercharger kit and pocketing the change - lots of it ;)

But if you did have the money to blow, I dare say it would be hard to ignore the urge of something like this new GT-R or similar, I don't think too many will sell because of the high price tag and that means being more exclusive and unique :)

beau
27th November 2006, 01:42 PM
yeah thats a good point, i think APS engineering have a twin turbo kit that puts the new commodors at around 370kw at the wheels.

heaps cheeper buying the commodor and getting turbo kit.
how much are they asking for the twin turbo kits?
i know my mate twin turbo'd his 350Z, cost him some stupid amount of money like $13,000 or something.

MatsHolden
27th November 2006, 02:02 PM
yeah thats a good point, i think APS engineering have a twin turbo kit that puts the new commodors at around 370kw at the wheels.

i know my mate twin turbo'd his 350Z, cost him some stupid amount of money like $13,000 or something.

You're looking at a good 20k.

beau
27th November 2006, 02:11 PM
yeah fair enough... but with the kind of power, you will be up there with top of the line sports cars of the world. - i guess its a small price to pay to equal power to cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollards

Roquefort
27th November 2006, 09:31 PM
oh god all the rice burners will be bagging the 500hp HSV GTS saying it uses 'dinosaur technology' and saying how godly the R35 will be, but they fail to realize they are totally different cars targeting different markets.
Buts still just a Nissan.....:p

Wraith
28th November 2006, 08:37 AM

Beau, this is the the one I was going to get just over a year ago ie: the APS twin turbo kit and slap it onto a GTO Coupe, but didn't end up buying the car.

All up it is 18k including install and full exhaust system to suit.

However you can now get it for around 12k as there are lots of others out there creating competition - good thing as it lowers prices :)

The beauty of this kit is that it is noise and exhaust pollution compliant and you can still get your car insured and have no probs with the RTA, so peace of mind in that respect - alot of other kits out there may be cheaper, but there's no way in hell you'll ever get it insured and it won't be RTA compliant either.

Base power is 430kw ATF or 380-390kw ATW, it makes over 700nm, the kit will provide up to 746kw and over 1200nm on a 'built' LS1 or LS2 ie: with all necessary internal upgrades.

Unlike your typical turbo 4 pot, these have mountains of torque and response from idle and start to boost hard from only 2000rpm, yet you can idle around in 5th gear at only 50km/h no probs, put the foot down and it'll tear away in that gear at that speed - AWESOME stuff !!

I've inspected one Monaro with the kit (tuned to 540kw and fitted by an APS tuner located in Cranbourne) and spoken to the owner, he simply describes it as insane and must respect it at all times or else an accident will result, it's simply too much power for 2 wheels to handle !!

The GT-R being an AWD I think will be a much better and safer platform, for these kinds of power levels, unless Holden do a decent AWD VE, now that might be promissing ;)

Mr T
28th November 2006, 09:30 AM
The GT-R being an AWD I think will be a much better and safer platform, for these kinds of power levels, unless Holden do a decent AWD VE, now that might be promissing ;)

I little birdie tells me that isn't far away...:dance:

SSS_Hoon
28th November 2006, 10:07 AM
Buts still just a Nissan.....:p

thems fighting words they are.

:D

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon
28th November 2006, 10:08 AM

it was on the cards years ago but they stepped away from it(well a FWD version)

it would be good to have one though it shouldnt be too hard though.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
28th November 2006, 10:56 AM

Gee whiz, that would be great :D and hopefully it's a better setup/platform than the 4x4 Coupe, which isn't much chop at all ....

Mr T
28th November 2006, 11:00 AM
It wouldn't suprise me if was the same setup...more than likely it would be a traction control activated unit.

Wraith
28th November 2006, 01:08 PM
If it's going to be the same platform, then hopefully they'll do a manual version as well (the 4x4 Coupe was auto only) - this would be the required option for a forced induction upgrade :)