PDA

View Full Version : AH SRi Turbo Boost

guin83
22nd November 2006, 09:13 AM
Hi Guys.!
I have put a Bailey DV26D Blow off valve on my 06 AH Sri Turbo. (My 6 year warranty gone in a month :( ) The sound is really high pitched and lovely but a little soft in volume. Luckily, the car doesn't seem to mind it and so far it's been giving me no problem at all.

I was trying to find out how many boost the stock turbo is running on tho, but couldn't find it anywhere. Does anyone have some info on it?

Apex
22nd November 2006, 09:22 AM
Nice one, how much did it set you back? I wouldn’t mind a Bailey BOF, was going to fit my HKS Super Sequential but was told they don’t work to well on the SRi.

Pretty sure it’s a max 12 pound. Don’t quote me!

guin83
22nd November 2006, 09:43 AM
[quote=TTEETT;168299]Nice one, how much did it set you back? I wouldn’t mind a Bailey BOF, was going to fit my HKS Super Sequential but was told they don’t work to well on the SRi.

A friend of mine who helped me putting it on had a Turbo Smart one on his S14 Silvia. We put that one on my SRi as well to see how it sounds. When I took it to test drive, the car had no issue as well. I also heard the car may not like a lot of Japanese products and end up stalling but... seem to be okay. May be because we decided to "T" the vacume hose from the throttle body rather than blocking the bypass valve, I bought mine from ebay for 120 pounds (which grew up to be $300 Aus) with fitting kit. If you don't want anything too loud, bailey sounds really tight and high pitched.

Wraith
22nd November 2006, 12:49 PM
Yeh, good choice there, a Baileys BOV is the only way to go on these cars, if you must have an external dump valve.

Interesting you had no issues with the other type, maybe that 'T' you inserted might be the trick :rolleyes:

phat-dave
22nd November 2006, 12:51 PM
more importantly, someone tell us how to remap the 06 sri!!!

MatsHolden
22nd November 2006, 01:08 PM
more importantly, someone tell us how to remap the 06 sri!!!

Contact Turblue. He is looking into the AH SRi's.

OPC
22nd November 2006, 01:53 PM
not a fan of the BOV on our cars... especially the baileys one

i have seen a certain baileys BOV go through 3 hands on this forum and none of the people were happy

id recomend just making up somethimg coming straight out of the turbo into a pod filter if your only looking for that sound effect

and a dump pipe will make it even louder

this is my old astra t... ill be doing the same thing to my vxr

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/mohawksfmic009.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/MYCARS015.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/MYCARS014.jpg

SSS_Hoon
22nd November 2006, 04:19 PM
i thought the last owner of that saidBOV mohawk are happy with it last i heard?

unless its another person.

mohawk is r***t though you dont need it on these cars even with the remap the stock is enough for sure. i would run a pod enclosed of course and a dump if your just after noise.

SSS_Hoon

OPC
22nd November 2006, 04:31 PM
i thought the last owner of that saidBOV mohawk are happy with it last i heard?

SSS_Hoon

sorry damien... last time i spoke to glenn and peta about it the BOV was leaking... but maybe they fixed it... dunno

Wraith
22nd November 2006, 05:00 PM
I agree with SSSHoon, if your gonna run an underbonnet pod - make sure it's an enclosed unit.

Those open ones start off o.k. but when the engine bay heats up, your doing the engine no good by ingesting all that hot air.

Interesting about that Baileys BOV not working properly, O/S people say they're great with no operating probs at all....could it have something to do with incorrect installation or maybe a faulty unit ??

MatsHolden
22nd November 2006, 05:08 PM
could it have something to do with incorrect installation or maybe a faulty unit ??

I've read it not working properly on a number of cars though. Spose there is a slight chance that they've all been installed incorrectly... all of them though?

OPC
22nd November 2006, 06:58 PM
Interesting about that Baileys BOV not working properly, O/S people say they're great with no operating probs at all....could it have something to do with incorrect installation or maybe a faulty unit ??

well it could possibly be the same as the remap they tried to bring over here

cant remember the name but im sure one of the members here had that tune and our weather was the problem

also didn't turbosmart try and get a BOV working on our cars and that never worked either

EL BURITO
22nd November 2006, 07:05 PM
daft Q but wat dose a blow off Valve do besides go "pufffff" when u change gears

MatsHolden
22nd November 2006, 07:08 PM
Isn't it to vent pressure from the intake pipes?

MatsHolden
22nd November 2006, 07:14 PM
Here's solution to any BOV problems.... get one of these! You don't even need a turbo! LMAO! I can't belive people would actually buy this crap.

http://www.saber-edv.com/

EL BURITO
22nd November 2006, 07:17 PM
Here's solution to any BOV problems.... get one of these! You don't even need a turbo! LMAO! I can't belive people would actually buy this crap.

http://www.saber-edv.com/
thats as bad as the V8 badge i saw the other day on a blue C in the city

xplosv57
22nd November 2006, 07:28 PM
This might seem like a dumb P plater full sick question, but can u make an astra turbo 'dose' like eg. a VL Turbo??

Turblue
22nd November 2006, 07:37 PM
Quite simple.

When the intake is on boost (pressure) and you snap the throttle shut, you need to release the built up pressure.

Reasons:
1: Back pressure wave can travel back towards the turbo and smash the turbine blades.
2: Back pressure wave can stall the turbo.

daft Q but wat dose a blow off Valve do besides go "pufffff" when u change gears

beau
22nd November 2006, 08:11 PM
This might seem like a dumb P plater full sick question, but can u make an astra turbo 'dose' like eg. a VL Turbo??

you would need a bigger intercooler... the VL's have no blow off valve and so it gets vented through the intercooler. but if you wanted that sound on a astra you would possibly block the origonal blow off and put a bigger intercooler on it - even then im not sure how the engine would react to such a thing... or maybe a pod filter might give you a nice noise

but being on ur P's the last thing you want to do is attract attention! believe me! im on P's too and even with my baileys dump valve people notice! - probs the best thing to do if you want the "turbo" noise... but its not the same noise as a VL

anyone with astra turbo's blocked the irgonal BOV and made it vent through the cooler? any noise?

CAL.16V
22nd November 2006, 08:57 PM
pod filters sound nice but they make the turbo stall when you hear the noise... its bad for the turbo and shortens the life and means pickup in between gears is not as quick...

during winter my car runs a pod and summer it has the airbox as it gets to hot... had a semi heatshield on it too but wasnt much help with cold air ducting

hey jay, what symptoms was glen getting with the bov leaking? how he know/think it was that?

blueraven
23rd November 2006, 12:11 AM
you would need a bigger intercooler... the VL's have no blow off valve and so it gets vented through the intercooler. but if you wanted that sound on a astra you would possibly block the origonal blow off and put a bigger intercooler on it - even then im not sure how the engine would react to such a thing... or maybe a pod filter might give you a nice noise

what on earth are you on about? how can the pressure 'vent' to the intercooler when the intercooler will be at the same pressure?? everything after the turbo is pressurised.

did the vl have a release valve built into the intercooler? (sounds daft) putting a bigger intercooler wont do anything except maybe have a pressure drop/increase lag (to a point) but you sure as hell cant 'vent' anything into the intercooler. No car comes standard with a BOV, but many have recirculating valves and all have wastegates either internaly or externally.

i have a pod filter and it increases the audible noise from the wastegate, which sounds very similar to a blow off valve (to the point where some asked me what bov i had :P)

SSS_Hoon
23rd November 2006, 10:03 AM
cal it was leaking oil/sludge stuff not boost.

2nd that stupid call of venting into the IC...i dont get it either....

SSS_Hoon

Mr T
23rd November 2006, 10:08 AM
So to answer the original question:

The H run a beesd!ck higher boost in midrange than the G. The G runs:
6psi in 1st and 2nd
9psi in 3rd, 4th and 5th
12.33psi for a short period in 3rd , 4th and 5th if the throttle is opened 100% after cruising for a period of time (AKA overtake boost)

sorry damien... last time i spoke to glenn and peta about it the BOV was leaking... but maybe they fixed it... dunno

BOV is fine, has always been fine...it was the boost control solinoid on the EBC that was leaking. haven't had a problem since the EBC came off.

CAL.16V...it was making a sqealing sound whilst on very minimal load though still on boost

guin83
23rd November 2006, 11:28 AM
cal it was leaking oil/sludge stuff not boost.

2nd that stupid call of venting into the IC...i dont get it either....

SSS_Hoon

I placed my BOV on the pipe that goes from the IC into the intake inlet. Only other thing that's directly connected to it is the vacume hose. It is not connected (Directly anyway) with anything that contains oil.
Do you know where he had his BOV for it to start leaking any oil? I didn't think BOV is supposed to have any sort of oil going through it.

Mr T
23rd November 2006, 02:49 PM
I placed my BOV on the pipe that goes from the IC into the intake inlet. Only other thing that's directly connected to it is the vacume hose. It is not connected (Directly anyway) with anything that contains oil.
Do you know where he had his BOV for it to start leaking any oil? I didn't think BOV is supposed to have any sort of oil going through it.

Mine's in the same place, I thought that the oil was blow back from the Turbo...it stopped for a while, then I recharged the K&N Filter...and bugger me the discharge is back...I think I now know the source...!!!

guin83
23rd November 2006, 03:00 PM
Mine's in the same place, I thought that the oil was blow back from the Turbo...it stopped for a while, then I recharged the K&N Filter...and bugger me the discharge is back...I think I now know the source...!!!

I see. :eek: So the oil can actually travel through the turbo and intercooler than. You may want to be careful that it doesn't enter the throttle body. ;)

rusole21
23rd November 2006, 03:23 PM
on my forester gt i get oil in my vacuum hoses and intercooler. its from the blow back from the turbo. nothing really to worry about. but yours sound like the filter alright. maybe you should use a non oil filter.

rusole21
23rd November 2006, 03:23 PM
I see. :eek: So the oil can actually travel through the turbo and intercooler than. You may want to be careful that it doesn't enter the throttle body. ;)
wouldnt matter if it did.

JP Dyno
24th November 2006, 01:54 PM
the TS Astra Turbos were running 0.8bar stock, which equates to about 12psi i believe. since the AH turbos not making any more power, im presuming it would be the same

Mr T
24th November 2006, 02:05 PM
the TS Astra Turbos were running 0.8bar stock, which equates to about 12psi i believe. since the AH turbos not making any more power, im presuming it would be the same

They run a slight bit more during mid range(probably no more than 0.5PSI)...They still have 147 KW but they have 26?NM instead of 250NM.

beau
25th November 2006, 03:32 PM
brand new BOV (particually the baileys ones) have small amount of oil in them.... dont ask me why coz i have no idea - i had the same problem when i put mine on.

it starts to leak a bit of oil in the first few days of having it on... after that it goes away and you should never see it again