PDA

View Full Version : Astra AH Cruise Control

digifish
21st November 2006, 08:40 PM
Anyone had the Cruise Control switch fail in their AH Astra? I notice that when my car has been heat-soaking in the car-park at work all day the cruise control won't work until I direct air-con onto the switch for 5 minutes.

Good news...I have 2 years and 10 months warranty left :)

EDIT: I did just read in the manual "For safety reasons, the cruise control cannot be activated until the break pedal has been pressed at least once'.

So now I have to double check that I had used the brake...possible I didn't as I can flow out of work onto a freeway.

digifish.

Red AH SRI T
21st November 2006, 08:53 PM
seem's like u possibly answered your own question :p

digifish
21st November 2006, 09:20 PM
seem's like u possibly answered your own question :p

Indeed...any excuse for a fang...(CDTi - all that torque, 320 Nm it's quite delicious...comes in big lumpy waves to fling you at the horizon)...I just got back from a test drive (it works) and indeed I think I didn't use the brake on a few occasions.

Traps for new owners.

You know, once you go over 25 km/hr the ABS calibrates...'clack'...unless I had experienced this in my other car, I can imagine some customers would think something was broken...but does the dealer let you know to expect this? nope.

digifish

Red AH SRI T
22nd November 2006, 07:47 AM
The owners manual isn't just given to you to kill a tree or two :p

And unfortunatley the dealer doesn't have time to show you how everything on the car (particularly the AH) works.

Don't worry the same thing happened to me when i got my AH too. So i read the owner manual :p

Apex
22nd November 2006, 09:17 AM
Random Info : Autocar magazine just voted the Astra CDTi best in class and tested a proven 0-100 in 8.1 seconds, that’s quick!

digifish
22nd November 2006, 09:33 AM
Random Info : Autocar magazine just voted the Astra CDTi best in class and tested a proven 0-100 in 8.1 seconds, that’s quick!

...and the in-gear acceleration is even quicker. Due to the way the diesel engine/turbo/torque and gearing work there are a few pregnant-pauses in there while you change gear.

When you are in-gear and on-boost it's accelerating like somthing that would do more-like 6 seconds to 100.

I am never going back to petrol :D

digifish

mintaka
25th November 2006, 03:17 PM
Digifish,

Maaaaateee! Glad to see it was happening to somebody else. I'll have to try the brake thing next time. I was just pulling over, turning the car off for 10 secs and then restarting (it didn't happen that often).

And thats what the clunking noise is? My wife will be pleased, she hears it more than I do.

As to the seriously quick bit, yes, I can agree to that. In a way, I'm glad I have this car now, rather than when I was in my early 20's, would have lost my licence in no time. And I overtook 8 cars once on a short lane in 6th gear, just blew them away (they were doing something link 90-95km/h, I was doing 150 odd when I passed the leader, no gear change required!)

Never go back to petrol, well, not until they can a petrol engine that does what this thing does. (It may happen, check out the VW Gold TSI, 1.4 super and tubocharged. Dosen't match the oiler for performance / enconomy combination yet, but interesting all the same.)

Cheers

digifish
25th November 2006, 09:51 PM
Digifish,

Never go back to petrol, well, not until they can a petrol engine that does what this thing does. (It may happen, check out the VW Gold TSI, 1.4 super and tubocharged. Dosen't match the oiler for performance / enconomy combination yet, but interesting all the same.)

Cheers

Yeah, saw that Golf...if I could bring myself to spend the $$$ I would consider an Golf R32 :)

But for now the Astra is fast enough. I did a similar thing, put my foot down in 5th @ 80 to overtake someone and was doing 110 in a 80 zone in about 3 secs :D

digifish