PDA

View Full Version : General Reviews on the VXR

Geebs
21st November 2006, 02:19 PM
Well 2 sleeps to go until I FINALLY get hold of my VXR. Have been trying to get as much out of my current SRI the last few days too, f*k they are great cars....

I've been reading so many reviews on the net re the VXR. I did drive it but I guess it was only for a short period to really see how the car performs.

It's interesting to see the different reviews out there. Of course most in relation to torque and under-steer rah rah rah.

Obviously, these cars need skill to drive and any moron who buys a sports car and just expects to put foot to the floor and have it perform is not a true driver. Even my current SRI if I put my foot to the floor suffers from occasional torque steer. It is great though when you do get to know your car intimately and get the best out of it, it's the best feeling!

I found another interesting review today... check it out... I can't wait to get it!

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_91252.html

Saw a nice silver one parked on Exhibition St at lunch today and we had lunch sitting outside a shop directly opposite, a fine speceimin indeed.

RudeOne
21st November 2006, 02:59 PM
you wont be disappointed, trust me!!!

mine is in for its first service today!

Geebs
21st November 2006, 03:05 PM
you wont be disappointed, trust me!!!

mine is in for its first service today!

Im sure I won't be too hehehehe

When do they get their first service, is it 1,000? and is general servicing at 15K intervals?

Another question for ya, I noticed in a pic on here your VXR had the standard sized personalised plates. I've ordered my combination but still deciding on standard size or slimline. Would you go standard or slimline (obviously you did go standard hehehe).

RudeOne
21st November 2006, 04:11 PM
first service is at 3000km

I have a standard size on the back and a slimline on the front.

The front plate must be bent in the centre to fit on the front bar, you can get a cover over it by bending it while attaching it without much hassle, once the cover has been on for a few days it takes that shape permanently.

also put felt pads behind the plates so you dont scratch the paint work

btm
21st November 2006, 04:35 PM
I am still yet to see a VXR on the road...

blueraven
21st November 2006, 04:59 PM
i saw a blue one, and left him in the dust, wasnt trying to race me tho :(

(tho i think i would have still beat him :D )

Geebs
21st November 2006, 05:35 PM

I've only seen one here in Melb - and that was today...

I was in Sydney a couple of weekends ago and saw two while I was there.

aussie_in_london
21st November 2006, 11:41 PM
will put a huge smile on your face, 11 months of ownership and i still look forward to getting behind the wheel : )

mine is going in on Friday to the tuners for stage 3 power upgrade while we are off to Egpyt for 2 weeks.

Wraith
22nd November 2006, 01:06 PM

Same here - have yet to see one on the road - but already spotted 2 Xr5's and quite a few MPS 3's and just yesterday I spotted a new 3 door hatch Golf GTi, I thought these hadn't even hit the showrooms yet and had a huge waiting period :confused:

It sure is getting interesting in the 'hot hatch' market, Peugoet will be releasing a turbo model in it's line up next year as well, it'll be powered by a 1.6ltr BMW turbo engine.

Most reviews I've read (ie: actual car test reviews, not peoples comments on forums who havn't even driven the cars) seem to put the Xr5 and MPS 3 up in the top, even when compared with the Golf R32, of course the Golf being 20k dearer with less power dosn't help it.....

oneightoo
22nd November 2006, 02:03 PM
will put a huge smile on your face, 11 months of ownership and i still look forward to getting behind the wheel : )

mine is going in on Friday to the tuners for stage 3 power upgrade while we are off to Egpyt for 2 weeks.

what does that invole aussie? what works being doen and what are the expected results??

im with btm, i havent seen a single one..

Misguidedangel
22nd November 2006, 03:29 PM
I've seen one... :D

although hes a member here... and it wasn't quite on a road but a parkign lot hahah but it was moving haha

EL BURITO
22nd November 2006, 03:38 PM
i want one :(

OPC
22nd November 2006, 04:18 PM
I've seen one... :D

although hes a member here... and it wasn't quite on a road but a parkign lot hahah but it was moving haha

yeah it was moving... straight past ya on the roundabout emilly ;)

aussie in london... cant wait to see what kind of power you produce with these upgrades

aussie_in_london
22nd November 2006, 10:29 PM
what does that invole aussie? what works being doen and what are the expected results??

large FMIC that sits in front of the rad and aircon (standard IC sits in between the rad and aicon) revised plumbing, full milltek turbo back exhaust & 200 cell spots cat (already have fitted) and remap,
Should see me putting out about 295bhp & over 300lb/ft of torque,
the word is its holds the power very nicely across the rev range

Geebs
23rd November 2006, 09:17 AM
The day is finally here!!

8 hours to go and counting!!! :D

JR
23rd November 2006, 10:21 AM
wat color vxr did u get Geebs?

lucky u :P

Wraith
23rd November 2006, 10:37 AM
I'm pretty sure he's getting the Arden Blue colour, same as Mohawk - will look fantastic........:)

btm
23rd November 2006, 11:04 AM
definitely the best colour

OPC
23rd November 2006, 11:11 AM
definitely the best colour

ill drink to that

btm
23rd November 2006, 11:16 AM
so jealous of you all!!

Shaun
23rd November 2006, 11:30 AM
Arden is the choice but red and black are nice too..

Shaun
23rd November 2006, 11:32 AM
Im alittle dissapointed though with Wheels and Motor. The press car went into commission 2 weeks after the sydney motorshow and i have yet to see one review?

Has anyone seen a Driven Review of the car yet?
if so were?

Geebs
23rd November 2006, 11:38 AM
Yeah the Arden Blue, cant wait!

Also just finalised insurance, I recon AAMI made a mistake with the premium but I will live with it!!! Under $700, pretty good!

btm
23rd November 2006, 11:49 AM
Arden is the choice but red and black are nice too..
no arguements there either!

btm
23rd November 2006, 11:50 AM
Also just finalised insurance, I recon AAMI made a mistake with the premium but I will live with it!!! Under $700, pretty good!
:eek: now i hate you even more :)

Wraith
23rd November 2006, 12:30 PM
Im alittle dissapointed though with Wheels and Motor. The press car went into commission 2 weeks after the sydney motorshow and i have yet to see one review?

Has anyone seen a Driven Review of the car yet?
if so were?

Yes I too am eager to see and read as to how it stacks up against the Xr5 and MPS 3 !!!

Some time early next year I'm going to organise for myself a test drive with all 3 of the above mentioned and do it over no more than 2 days, so that the experience from one to another is still fresh in my mind.

I want to be able to see and tell for myself, which one is best O/A straight off the showroom floor......:)

I have a strong feeling the MPS 3 will impress the most O/A :rolleyes:

Geebs
23rd November 2006, 12:35 PM
Yes I too am eager to see and read as to how it stacks up against the Xr5 and MPS 3 !!!

Some time early next year I'm going to organise for myself a test drive with all 3 of the above mentioned and do it over no more than 2 days, so that the experience from one to another is still fresh in my mind.

I want to be able to see and tell for myself, which one is best O/A straight off the showroom floor......:)

I have a strong feeling the MPS 3 will impress the most O/A :rolleyes:

I recon performance wise, the MPS probably has the edge. To me though, design is a big big thing when it comes to cars. Out of the three cars, the VXR wins not only hands down, but feet down when it comes to looks. It's a mean looking car!!! To me the MPS is bland and looks like you need baby seats in the back and the Focus reminds me of a KC Laser.

Wraith
23rd November 2006, 01:19 PM
Couldn't agree more regarding aesthetics of 'all' the hot hatches out there ATM - the VXR and even the AH Sri T are the best looking on the exterior side - hands down :) design is indeed very important to me too, but also value,quality,reliability and features for the money.

Interior wise, I'd have to go with the MPS 3, beautiful O/A and highly featured, the VXR (except for the front Recaros) is very plain/bland by comparison IMHO, the Xr5, the worst, except it does have Recaros and some neat gauges in there.

The Xr5 however IMO has the best engine of the lot, (Volvo 5 pot 2.5ltr T) sweet sounding and instant response and torque, simple tuning (as one local owner has already done) brings it out to well over 200kw and capable of blowing away a stock Xr6 T Falcon !!! (as stated by same person above who also had an Xr6 T)

Here's the link to the Xr5 article, very interesting read.(some may have already read it)
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_3079/article.html

I've already checked with local Mazda tuners regarding the 2.3 T and they tell me a simple tweak with exhaust and intake changes will deliver an extra 20-30kw ATW and not harm warranty.....should put that little bad boy in the high 5 sec bracket in the 0-100km sprint.

All interesting stuff, I look forward to test driving them all soon :)

aussie_in_london
23rd November 2006, 08:45 PM
simple map and milltek exhaust on the VXR's power plant is putting out 280bhp (206kw) at the wheels 236bhp (173kw) add a fmic and you are looking at approx 300bhp FW (220kw)and one stage 2 VXR (map & exhaust) tested by a auto mag put down a time of 5.7 secs for 0-100km, so no different to the tuning capabilities of the other 2 mentioned

MatsHolden
23rd November 2006, 08:57 PM
I've already checked with local Mazda tuners regarding the 2.3 T and they tell me a simple tweak with exhaust and intake changes will deliver an extra 20-30kw ATW and not harm warranty.....should put that little bad boy in the high 5 sec bracket in the 0-100km sprint.

Another 20-30kw would put it out to 210-220kw, :eek: how much power can a front wheel drive take before it becomes unusable? I mean yeh it's great if you just want it to go in a straight line lol but no point if it can't be delivered to the road and can't steer the thing. All well and good to say yeh i've got yay amount of power but if it can't be delivered to the black stuff... The mags say there's quite a a bit of torque steer on the MPS with it's 190kw, imagine with 220kw! :eek: lol

Wraith
24th November 2006, 10:10 AM
Aussie, that's great news to hear the VXR can get those numbers, (I've been paying attention to what Regal's are up to with VXR mods and they've got it up to over 250kw ATFW, but that's with a turbo and other hardware upgrades) are you getting yours done at Regals ??

The problem is that for us here in Australia, we'll have difficulty accessing all those parts and software required to achieve those results........although given time down the track, we might get lucky to at least be able to re-flash with some good software - hopefully.

Mat, yes the MPS 3 will go up to around 230kw ATFW no probs, but it will have the best chance of the lot of getting it to the ground because it comes fitted standard with an LSD and trick electronics to limit wheel spin and cornering torque steer (for 1st and 2nd after that all hell breaks loose:D), better than nothing, although test reports I've read, still say that you have to watch what your doing and give it respect, they all descibe this car as having ballistic accelaration and feels like a V8 is under the bonnet :)

Like I said, I'm looking forward to giving it and the others a good fang, before I decide for myself which is the go to 'possibly/hopefully' replace my Cali as my everyday ride :)

I'll have to wait and see what happens with the missus, as she really likes the new twin top and I don't wanna end up with 2 AH's, either way if I do grab one (ie: VXR) I'll try and get a s/h under 12 months old, it should be heaps cheaper, IMHO they are over priced brand new considering what you get for the money, MPS 3 offers heaps more for around the same price :rolleyes:

SSS_Hoon
24th November 2006, 10:12 AM
wraith i think you mean at the fly wheel not at the wheels right?

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
24th November 2006, 10:17 AM
Yes, ATFW = At The Fly Wheel.........:)

Appologies for any confusion, I know it probably should be ATF or ATW - at the flywheel/at the wheels respectively :)

Shaun
24th November 2006, 10:27 AM
Waith hopefully the issue of parts for the VXR wont be like the SRi T G and Convertable G are.

Walkinshaw proformance look rather commited to doing stuff for the SRi T AH and i believe they will do stuff for the VXR too.

With there connection to http://www.twg-ltd.com/home.html they could do stuff for the VXR from the UK or even in house from the UK.

SSS_Hoon
24th November 2006, 02:22 PM
Yes, ATFW = At The Fly Wheel.........:)

Appologies for any confusion, I know it probably should be ATF or ATW - at the flywheel/at the wheels respectively :)

i know i posted it qwikly at work and when i posted i thought damm that is most likly what he meant by it oh well.

SSS_Hoon

astro boy
24th November 2006, 03:52 PM

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_107793/article.html
Basic jist: 183kw atw with no other mods apart from a chip for $1500. I probably wont get it done. Sound like something a avcr can do.