PDA

View Full Version : Astra Facelift

rjastra
18th November 2006, 12:19 PM
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1339/

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1339/images/1/large.jpg

ultim8DTM5
18th November 2006, 02:33 PM
More importantly, there's a new turbocharged 1.6-litre motor with 177bhp to replace the old 167bhp 2.0-litre turbo.

This engine hauls the Astra from 0-62mph in 7.8 seconds and on to a top speed of 137mph.

Do I see this going into a new Barina? Bloody oath!

EL BURITO
18th November 2006, 02:56 PM
Do I see this going into a new Barina? Bloody oath!
i think its the same 1.6T that is in the Corsa D VXR

digifish
18th November 2006, 03:13 PM
More here...

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/17/gm-makes-fresh-2007-astra/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/11/215.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/11/312.jpg

phat-dave
18th November 2006, 03:23 PM
out of curiousity, how difficult & expensive would it be to transform the current screen on the astra H into a colour satnav screen as above?

EL BURITO
18th November 2006, 03:35 PM
one member on here has riped out the tip computor and had a LCD mounted behind. Its a option in the UK and Europe. so it would most likly be getting the deck and the screen but like any thing GM it will cost a **** load and then u have to find the correect Ozzie sofwear to corrispond. easyest way i belive would be to go after market and have a new LCD build into the place of the trip computor

bill142
19th November 2006, 08:32 AM
out of curiousity, how difficult & expensive would it be to transform the current screen on the astra H into a colour satnav screen as above?

I doubt it would be worth it, as there probably aren't any Australian maps avaliable for it.

ultim8DTM5
19th November 2006, 09:10 AM
I've seen an Eclipse AVN6000 installed into an Astra H. I have photographs if you like (it is a double-din screen unit, comes with DVD navigation standard in it's own dedicated slot, RRP$3,500.00.)

Apex
19th November 2006, 02:27 PM
I wan those xenon head lamps and that piano black interior trim looks the bizzo…….goes off to buy can of black spray paint:)

ROCCO
19th November 2006, 04:26 PM
Still no temp gauge on the dash....

Red AH SRI T
19th November 2006, 04:52 PM
the glossy black finish looks H O T

digifish
Still no temp gauge on the dash....

Indeed this is very annoying!

I wonder if temp can be displayed on the multi-function display somehow...

astra03
Just heard interesting story last night about an Astra with no temp guage, taken into a friends workshop, looks like engine is now trash, owner says "I didn't know it was hot, no guage to tell me"

Apparently suffered from faulty thermostat...

Like I have been saying all along.....all ok while everything is new but get a few miles etc....
Yep lets have multiple CD players and all the fancy bells whistles, but a temp guage, nah too expensive to fit....

Red AH SRI T
19th November 2006, 04:54 PM
maybe your friend didn't see the temp warning light that comes on if the temp gets too hot?

although if the thermostat was faulty it probably didn't work, in chich case a temp gauge would have been no use either

astra03
19th November 2006, 04:56 PM
P.S.

I guess everyone knows Holden have no current interest in bringing in the sedan being produced next year in Poland...

Quite frankly Holden no longer deserve my business, now where were those Toyota and Mazda brochure....

Red AH SRI T
19th November 2006, 04:58 PM
i think holden won't bring in the Astra sedan because there probably isn't enough of a market for it, and u already have the viva, and soon the epica, and i guess the Astra sedan and Epica would be too close in pricing, thus killing the astra sedan.

digifish
19th November 2006, 05:00 PM
maybe your friend didn't see the temp warning light that comes on if the temp gets too hot?

although if the thermostat was faulty it probably didn't work, in chich case a temp gauge would have been no use either

I agree that warning light is enough...temp guages allow you to know how bad things are and also to know when your engine is up to temp :(

I miss one on my CDTi :(

astra03
19th November 2006, 05:00 PM
The customer apparently didnt notice the warning readout cos nothing came on. In fact yes the temperature guage would show either a very hot or too cold reading when the thermostat faults, depending just where the sender is placed. Unfortunatley some people are not mechanically minded to understand that if the temperature stays too low or drops low for no apparent reason, that there can be something wrong, ie. jammed thermo or out of coolant.

There is absolutely no argument, that a proper guage will in fact help MOST people if there is a problem, not all, some think they are there to fill the holes up in the dash, but MOST will get the idea!

Wraith
20th November 2006, 09:04 AM
mmmm, interesting news about that 1.6ltr turbo.

I can tell you all that Peugeot will have a new 1.6ltr turbo in their line up next year as well !

MK
20th November 2006, 11:36 AM
i wouldnt mind if this colour was available to Australia, across all models.

Wraith
20th November 2006, 11:45 AM
I highly doubt it, as there have always been lots of external colours on the past Astra ranges that Holden didn't bring in.........

Hopefully they will bring more for the Astra H.

MK
20th November 2006, 11:46 AM
i think holden won't bring in the Astra sedan because there probably isn't enough of a market for it, and u already have the viva, and soon the epica, and i guess the Astra sedan and Epica would be too close in pricing, thus killing the astra sedan.

You are 100% right Kurt (can i call you that or do you prefer BlackAH CDX?) Holden Australia is a business, a profitable business that has to count with every dollar...bringing Astra H Sedan will definiately be a nice addition to the Astra H range but looking at Ford Focus sedan sales i have to agree its not advisable for Holden...
unless the Polish plant can make them cheaply (remember they get paid lower wages than the Belgian plant) and after adding all the transport expenses and the price for Holden is still viable (selling them alongside cheaper Astra Classic replacement Viva and Vectra C replacement Epica) why not? :)

yes, selling Astra H sedan alongside bigger and more equipped Holden Epica for the same\similiar price would be a bit of a mistake for Holden...

Red AH SRI T
21st November 2006, 07:01 AM
call me what ever you like

everyone else does :p

Red AH SRI T
21st November 2006, 07:56 PM
New Opel Astra: Refined Design and Optimized Engine Range

Opel has issued the following press release:

Featuring fresh design accents and new engines that are more compact, powerful and economical, the new edition of the Opel Astra will be available at dealerships from February 2007. With more than 1.2 million units sold since its debut in March 2004, the third-generation Astra plays a leading role in European sales statistics. The new Astra will make its world premiere at the Bologna Motor Show (December 7 – 17, 2006) and can be ordered from November 20.

In future, Astra customers will have a choice of eleven different engines from 90 to 240 hp. The Astra engine range is expanded with two new highly efficient 1.6-liter gasoline engines and two 1.7 CDTI common-rail turbo-diesel units that are already capable of meeting future emissions standards.

The new weight-optimized 1.6 TWINPORT ECOTEC (85 kW/115 hp) with a variable camshaft joins the bestselling 1.6-liter TWINPORT engine (77 kW/105 hp). With the 115 hp engine coupled to a five-speed Easytronic transmission, the Astra needs only 6.3 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers. Continuous variable control of both camshafts is the main reason for the performance benefits. With this “Cam-Phase” system, valve timing can be varied depending on the speed and load range of the four-valve unit for optimal performance or consumption.The new 1.6-liter turbo engine (132 kW/180 hp), which replaces the 2.0-liter turbo with 125 kW/170 hp and comes with a six-speed transmission as standard, boasts an even greater reduction in consumption. Compared with its predecessor, total consumption is reduced by more than 13 percent to 7.7 liters per 100 kilometers.

The new 1.7 CDTI engines with 81 kW/110 hp and 92 kW/125 hp both come with six-speed manual transmission and feature common-rail injection, four-valve technology with swirl control and a maintenance-free particulate filter. Available from spring 2007, they will replace the 1.9 CDTI units with 74 kW/100 hp and 88 kW/120 hp. With torque increased by 20 and 40 Nm, the 1.7 CDTI engines provide noticeably more power and lower emission levels.

Considering the positive reaction to the modern Astra design language since its debut in 2004, designers focused on fine tuning details in the new edition, which features striking front and rear design elements. The five-door and station wagon variants have a broader chrome crossbar with integrated Opel logo. The distinctive decorative element takes the tapering of the V-shaped hood and continues it to the radiator grille vanes, which are now also chrome-plated. The hood gap has been reduced optically. The sweeping contours of the fog lamp recesses integrate the bumper into the dynamic V-shaped face. Other new distinctive features in the Astra include tail lights in 3-D block design, as well as chrome-look headlamp housings as an alternative to the tinted versions that will be reserved for the Astra Sport as well as the xenon and curve light variants in future. The Astra GTC now boasts a honeycomb grille that highlights the coupé-like three-door car’s sporty look even further. In future, the station wagon roof will have an elegant aluminum roof rail.

The interior features additional chrome rings around the air conditioning and radio controls, as well as new decorative trim on the instrument panel and doors. The Cosmo version is enhanced with luxurious piano lacquer surfaces on the center console and decorative panels. The popular CD 30 MP3 infotainment system is available from spring 2007 with a stereo connection for external audio devices such as iPods.

The new edition of the Astra also offers plenty of technological highlights that are still unusual in this segment. For example, the Astra GTC is the only production passenger car that is available with a panorama windshield. This extends over the front occupants’ heads to the B-pillar, creating a whole new sense of space and visibility. An exclusive dimension of driving comfort and safety is provided by the optional IDSPlus system with electronic Continuous Damping Control (CDC). In this integrated chassis control system otherwise found only in luxury vehicles and exclusive sports cars, the control units and sensors of ESPPlus, ABS and CDC exchange data constantly, resulting in immediate optimization of chassis fine-tuning in all driving situations. The AFL bi-xenon headlamp system (Adaptive Forward Lighting) with dynamic curve light made its compact-segment debut in the Astra. The new model generation’s further improved trailer stability control is also far from a matter of course when looking at other brands. The sophisticated system monitors the intensity of yawing motions in the car-trailer combination. Such motions are stabilized by control electronics via regulated left or right front brake application.

from www.globalautoindex.com.au

digifish
21st November 2006, 08:23 PM
>The Cosmo version is enhanced with luxurious piano lacquer surfaces on the center console and decorative panels.

Sounds like a scratch-magnet :p

>The popular CD 30 MP3 infotainment system is available from spring 2007 with a stereo connection for external audio devices such as iPods.

:eek: My old 1998 SB barina had that feature....:boohoo:

digifish

MK
4th December 2006, 10:38 AM
ok, so far we have available:

5dr hatch in CD, CDX, CDTi diesel and newest addition SRi
5dr station wagon in CD, CDX
3dr hatch (coupe) in CD, CDX and newest addition SRi
3dr hatch (coupe) in Sri Turbo
2dr convertible TwinTop
3dr hatch (coupe) in VxR Turbo

still awaiting the GTC with panoramic windscreen and the Astra Van.
Will Australia be getting the 1.6L petrol engines?
Do you think it will be viable to have it as an option on the 3dr and 5dr?

it looks like the Astra range is growing considerably, well done Holden.

Mr T
4th December 2006, 10:49 AM
I'm keen on a Diesel wagon with leather trim, heated seats and climate control...come on, you can do it Mr Mooney...!!!

EL BURITO
4th December 2006, 03:00 PM
we will not see a Opel 1.6 well the Viva is on the market cos it would eat into the sales

EL BURITO
4th December 2006, 03:01 PM
I'm keen on a Diesel wagon with leather trim, heated seats and climate control...come on, you can do it Mr Mooney...!!!
If we get that sales would probly be better seeing as i thought i read there was no VE wagon

Mr T
4th December 2006, 03:05 PM
If we get that sales would probly be better seeing as i thought i read there was no VE wagon

My wishlist is started with V8 (or V6TT:pray:) Berlina Wagon, followed by the Astra CDTi Wagon...

...Don't beat me up about this, but I may be forced to look into the Mazda 6 Diesel Wagon...:eek:

EL BURITO
4th December 2006, 03:17 PM
dam u are getting old Mr T all this take of "family" cars

OPC
4th December 2006, 03:41 PM
dam u are getting old Mr T all this take of "family" cars

bahahahahaha... i think glenn is looking for that BAN button right about now

Red AH SRI T
4th December 2006, 08:03 PM
we will not see a Opel 1.6 well the Viva is on the market cos it would eat into the sales

The new 1.6 they talk of is actually a Turbo motor, to replace the 2.0 Turbo 125kw engine that we don't get in Oz. We Won't be getting the 1.6 Turbo either.

EL BURITO
5th December 2006, 03:37 AM
The new 1.6 they talk of is actually a Turbo motor, to replace the 2.0 Turbo 125kw engine that we don't get in Oz. We Won't be getting the 1.6 Turbo either.
so the corsa D VXR motor

Red AH SRI T
5th December 2006, 06:41 AM
yes, i think so :D

Mr T
6th December 2006, 11:24 AM
bahahahahaha... i think glenn is looking for that BAN button right about now

I reckon...Wayne where did you say that was again...???

Yeah mate...I'm a respectable adult now with fatherly obligations.

MK
9th December 2006, 05:18 PM
will these wheels be available in Australia?

http://www.autogaleria.mojeauto.pl/index.php?galeria_id=1300&zdjecie_id=32103

EL BURITO
9th December 2006, 05:36 PM

they look like CD alloys just in a bigger size

Red AH SRI T
9th December 2006, 05:59 PM

I believe they are 18' in size and will be optional on the new Astra TwinTop

jsantos
24th December 2006, 02:54 PM
So when is this model coming to Aust, or is it coming?