PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Driving Course (Preferably Melbourne)

GreyRex
17th November 2006, 12:50 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm considering doing an advanced driving course, and wanted your opinions and/or advice on where to go for one. I was more specifically looking in Melbourne, but i know that some of them are run Australia wide. So if you've done one in another city, let me know what it was like (company, contact number etc).

I've actually already done a basic one as part of my insurance. It included emergency braking at different speeds, slalom etc. So i was more looking for a slightly more advanced one; responsible car control, and more seeing what your car is capable of.

There are some out there at the moment that require you to complete a basic level, which will then enable you to go to the next one. For example there is one run by Murcotts in Melbourne. They have two levels, but in order to do the more advanced you must complete the first (you get the idea).

So my question is, can anyone recommend a good Advanced Driving Course that is one step above your basic training? Any comments welcome...

MatsHolden
17th November 2006, 04:41 PM
Yeh, Murcotts are one of the best in the business and they've got a special on which they do this time every year so rather than it costing about 600-700 dollars it's only about $190. Keep in mind there is a difference between defensive driving and advanced driving too. There is also Peter Finlay's Advanced Driving schools which are probably more what you're after. They are true advanced driving. But last time I looked I think they were only NSW based, may have changed since but not sure.

Binary
17th November 2006, 08:37 PM
I'm doing the Murcotts level 1 course on tuesday, i'll let you know what we cover. I expect it will be mostly defensive stuff for the level 1 though.

xplosv57
19th November 2006, 06:01 PM
Ive done the Murcotts course at Sandown last christmas, had a $99 special, good course!! I also did a AAMI course a few years ago, jumped a rating and got cheaper insurance (only to lose it again due to a crash).

Im about to do a BMW Advanced driver training course on the 27th at Phillip Island!! The BMW courses are great for more than basic skills but usually they provide you with a car which won't help u if u want to see the capabilities of your own car!!! Ill let u know how it goes!!

entice
20th November 2006, 07:00 AM
What about DECA in Shepparton..

maybe you can join a cams club and do a DECA day....

GreyRex
20th November 2006, 09:15 AM
I didn't really want to join a club or anything, just was wondering if there were slightly more advanced courses than what I've previously done. Didn't really want to spend $200+ and think hmm... I've already done that:)

xplosv57
20th November 2006, 06:11 PM
Not sure if youll get anything good for $200, the BMW course im doing is around $600 but is alot more advanced than your basic course, but u do pay for it!! Except me cos i get it free from work!!! :) :)