PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fuel comparison

pred8r
14th November 2006, 10:34 PM
Because of the Km's I do (7week old Trafic/Vivaro van @9500kms) I decided to try different diesels and see what would happen considering the driving style, types and distances I do is fairly consistant.

For those interested here are my findings so far;
Shell - Crap (less than 1000km/tank)
Caltex - Good (1000km+/tank on average)
BP - Excellent (today I got 1120Kms/82lt)

Will be doing a trip to Mildura this week so will see how it goes on a straight freeway run on BP, Id expect around 1200+ on a similar fuel level. (My fuel light comes on at 80lt, tank is 90)

*disclaimer- My van, my choice of fuels, my opinions - I have NFI. If you have NFI, PAY someone who does.

mintaka
15th November 2006, 08:47 AM
Because of the Km's I do (7week old Trafic/Vivaro van @9500kms) I decided to try different diesels and see what would happen considering the driving style, types and distances I do is fairly consistant.

For those interested here are my findings so far;
Shell - Crap (less than 1000km/tank)
Caltex - Good (1000km+/tank on average)
BP - Excellent (today I got 1120Kms/82lt)

Will be doing a trip to Mildura this week so will see how it goes on a straight freeway run on BP, Id expect around 1200+ on a similar fuel level. (My fuel light comes on at 80lt, tank is 90)

*disclaimer- My van, my choice of fuels, my opinions - I have NFI. If you have NFI, PAY someone who does.

Pred - Having driven diesel cars for 3 years now, I would have to say that BP is consistantly better stuff. That's not to say that the other stuff is rubbish, but BP seems to agree more with my cars. Just my rather unscientific observation.

Cheers

entice
15th November 2006, 11:17 AM
age of engine and when that fuel was used c.f the age will be important on a 7wk old..

I dont think anything would really be any valid for the first 5000km..

My H is only really starting to see good economy now at the 10000Km mark...

digifish
15th November 2006, 01:38 PM
[quote=entice;165990]I dont think anything would really be any valid for the first 5000km..
quote]

Indeed,

I'd go back and try the Shell again.

My last car (tested) dropped from 8.1 l/100 km (1000km) to 7.1 l/100 at 20,000 km.

BTW: BP have a nice product called 'BP Diesel GO' that acts as

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/retail/retail_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads_pdfs/f/FN_bp_diesel_go.pdf

1. Fuel injector cleaner
2. Water scavenger
3. Lubricant

The mix-rate = 0.1%, 1 ml/litre of fuel, so a 100 litre tank = 100 ml. At $13/litre GO is great value.

digifish.

EL BURITO
16th November 2006, 06:22 AM
maby a bio Diesel is also worth a go, maby i lnow we have several stations in Perth that have it one of the smaller chains "Gull"
(once again i have no idea)