PDA

View Full Version : Barina SRi

barretdenis
11th November 2006, 06:22 PM
Just bought a 2003 Barina SRi - it has a very unusual "thumping" or womp womp type noisr that comes from the front tyres when I turn left at speeds of 60 to 100. It has only done 46000kms and has new tyres, brakes are perfect, no CV noises. Is it something to do with the electric assisted power steering?

Can anyone give any advice

thanks

Gildo
11th November 2006, 06:31 PM
sounds like the stearing column could be on the way out.....
is there also a faint grinding sort of noise?
is it still under warrenty?

WLD-18L
11th November 2006, 07:43 PM
may be a cv joint

digifish
11th November 2006, 11:21 PM
Just bought a 2003 Barina SRi - it has a very unusual "thumping" or womp womp type noisr that comes from the front tyres

I'd get the tyres and alignment checked first.

digifish

barretdenis
12th November 2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks to all replies - new tyres just fitted and alignment done - noise was there before that and still there, so it's not the tyres etc. the CVs have no eear and there is no clicking or other noises from the steering column. I'll still chasing an answer. As indicated the noise is only apparent when turning left. Any experts out there wih some more clues??

digifish
12th November 2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks to all replies - new tyres just fitted and alignment done - noise was there before that and still there, so it's not the tyres etc. the CVs have no eear and there is no clicking or other noises from the steering column. I'll still chasing an answer. As indicated the noise is only apparent when turning left. Any experts out there wih some more clues??

Were the old tires worn strangely?

It could be coming from incorrect camber adjustment or some other part of the suspension that is out of spec (bushings worn/damaged)?

After that it's definitely worth looking at bearings/CV joints etc they tend to make variable noises depending on load/direction. BTW don't foret the rears! noise transmits through car bodies in deceptive ways :)

Could be in your gearbox too, pinion bearings? Noises from these two can be direction/load related.

Like a lot of things with cars you can spend $$$ chasing them...and never get them fixed. I'd take it to a reputable garage/dealer and ask for an opinion.

digifish

PaulyJ
14th November 2006, 12:28 AM
90% sure its got to do with the suspension.
Get it all properly checked.