PDA

View Full Version : Claybar

digifish
9th November 2006, 10:56 PM
I just clayed my car with http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-detailing-clay/Quik-Clay-Detailing-System

I had a close look at the 'clay' and it seems to be a white 'blue-tack' material, not clay at all.

Seems to me blue-tack will work just as well...might do a test with some as the bar in the box works out at about $15

digifish

Vectracious
9th November 2006, 11:25 PM
Its a very fine type of clay - which is why it appears to be like blu-tack. It's not going to be the hard clay otherwise your paintwork will not stand a chance.

The blu-tack won't work - saw a mate try it, the blue tack just ripped into pieces as he was rubbing it on the paintwork. It's also logical that it wont work - the claybar, as fine and as plasticy it may seem, is still solid enough to take off all the grime and roughness off your clear coat - blu-tack is just too soft.

A guy in the business told me that all clay bars (regardless of whether they are meguiars, 3M, whatever) all come out of the same factory - so its all the same stuff.

R3N
9th November 2006, 11:53 PM
well, there are varying strengths in clay bars, when i say strength, i mean its abrasiveness...

digifish
10th November 2006, 08:38 AM
Its a very fine type of clay - which is why it appears to be like blu-tack.

From what I can see on the internet claybars are mostly synthetic nowdays.

http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html

I can imagine blutack is too soft however, kept cool it may work, I'll experiment later :)

digifish

Lt Ketch
10th November 2006, 09:36 AM
I can imagine blutack is too soft however, kept cool it may work, I'll experiment later :)

digifish

try it on someone else's car first!!!! :shifty:

Noir
11th November 2006, 02:30 AM
If you are familiar with polymer clays for craft and dollmaking ;) it is almost the same composition. Synthetic clay is made primarily from PVC and Phthalates that make the product hard, strong yet workable. Claims of a non-synthetic "clay" bar? Even the finest grades of soil clay could cause scratching and would leave a sticky residue of mud on the vehichle.

Try baking a clay bar and blu tac in an oven at 149C and see what happens.

entice
11th November 2006, 05:58 AM
i'm interested to find out the answer to that, but dont want to destroy my claybar...

Noir
11th November 2006, 06:27 AM
I just clayed my car with [URL]
I had a close look at the 'clay' and it seems to be a white 'blue-tack' material, not clay at all.

I thought it smelt devine like plastic icing used for cake decorating. Maybe I can try that on my car later today. :p Just kidding.

I will put part of my bar in the oven to end peoples curiosity.