PDA

View Full Version : Your ODO meter and BC computer

guin83
8th November 2006, 10:02 PM
Hi.
I bought my AH SRI 3 weeks ago and noticed that my ODO meter may be going up a little too fast than what the car has really travelled.
So I have reset both my ODO meter (Trip) and the BC computer (This is the on board computer that gives you the fuel consumptions and all these information) and clearly my ODO meter was moving up much faster than the BC Computer.

Has anyone experienced similar issue before with AH astras? Can this be easily measured and repaired? or am I looking at all kinds of hassel to have this done?

oneightoo
8th November 2006, 10:35 PM
i found most astra's speedo's were out a little.. like when i did 110 on the freeway, my maye in his suby was doing 117..

but mine, my mates and my bro's were G's..

Poogene2001
8th November 2006, 10:45 PM
Could it be that your trip computer is the one that is reading incorrectly?
I'm willing to bet there is more that can go wrong in one of those than with an odometer in your instrument cluster.
Either way, WARRANTY!

digifish
9th November 2006, 04:15 PM
Hi.
I bought my AH SRI 3 weeks ago and noticed that my ODO meter may be going up a little too fast than what the car has really travelled.
So I have reset both my ODO meter (Trip) and the BC computer (This is the on board computer that gives you the fuel consumptions and all these information) and clearly my ODO meter was moving up much faster than the BC Computer.

Has anyone experienced similar issue before with AH astras? Can this be easily measured and repaired? or am I looking at all kinds of hassel to have this done?

Hi I bought a AH CDTI 1780 km ago and thought the same thing. However in my case I have reset both the ODO and Trip computer and they stay locked together in distance to the 0.1

So I compared against another car and found my AH was clocking 1.6% faster than the comparison car. Question is, which is correct?

Next step is to borrow a GPS from a friend.

The fact your ODO and TRIP are different is a worry...

digifish

digifish
9th November 2006, 04:19 PM
I forgot to say...

I have also noticed that if I set the cruise control and zero the average speed that Speedo shows about 7 km/hr faster than the Trip Computer (average).

However the distances show the same (as mentioned).

digifish

lowey22
9th November 2006, 04:20 PM
Next step is to borrow a GPS from a friend.
digifish

I'm going to do the same thing. But how do you do it and is it accurate? I assume you jsut set it up to take a reading at intervals over a set period of time at a constant speed?

digifish
9th November 2006, 04:26 PM
I'm going to do the same thing. But how do you do it and is it accurate? I assume you jsut set it up to take a reading at intervals over a set period of time at a constant speed?

GPS (with enough satellites tracked) do distance travelled very accurately. Within 2-15 meters. I need to find out more about average and instantaneous speed.

digifish

Blue_Dvl
9th November 2006, 07:09 PM
i noticed this with my X-Trail. at indicated 100km/h people were flying past me like i was doing 80. I also thought the trip computer to be a touch out also when compared with other vehicles.

I approached nissan, and was told they cant calibrate the speedo..... only check if its working.

Pretty sure the trip computer/odometer and speedo run off the same wheel speed sensors. Definately consult holden

stevedee3
10th November 2006, 12:22 AM
It might be something to do with not be able to adjust the odomoeter calibration (to prevent milage fraud), while the trip computer may be able to be calibrated... just a half-considered guess.

Red AH SRI T
10th November 2006, 08:14 AM
ADR regulations allow the speedo to read +/- 10 %