PDA

View Full Version : Motor mag - Fast Opels in Aus

JP Dyno
16th May 2004, 02:05 PM
Dont know if any of you guys have read this or not,
Just skimming through the lastest Motor Magazine reading up on the little bits i glossed over, and there is an article on the HSV GTO coupe being exported and sold in the Vauxhall VX performance range (like VX220, but bigger and badder)

It goes on about the new 'VX performance range', including the VX Corsa, VX Astra and VX Vectra will most likly be a mix of OPC parts and custom vauxhall engineered bits.

but the most interesting bit is the last paragraph -
"HSV and Australia will benefit from all this with access to the Vauxhall/Opel-based VX models to sell here as HSV-badged versions of the Astra and Vectra" .......... yummy.

I remember reading a quote (sorry, bad memory, cant remember where) from a HSV spokesperson saying that HSV is for V8/V6 RWD 'Muscle' cars and will not move into any other area.... Its funny because more recently (since all this AWD shenanigans) i remember another spokesperson saying that HSV are looking to open up into more areas, and that one possibility they were looking at was an Astra.

Either way, i reckon i could really grow to love a VX/HSV Vectra... B-)

Jass
16th May 2004, 02:33 PM
HSV Astra oh yeah, wish they would have kept the astra G shape though

Anonymous
16th May 2004, 03:32 PM
HSV have Released other Cars that arnt V6/V8 RWD.
1988 A Limited Number of Astras(Nissan Pulsar) were released, Had HSV Decals, Colour Coded Bodykits, Alloys and Exhaust Package. 500 Units Built/Sold

1995 A Limited Edition HSV Enhanced Jackeroo/Monterey was Released, Specail HSV Badged Wheels, HSV Badging, HSV Suspension Kit(Bilstien) and HSV Interior Embriodery. Unknown How were Made Close to 1000 I think

1998 A Never realesed to the Public Barina GSi Turbo was Built.
The 1.6 Unit was Turbo Kitted By AVO(Melb) Only Made in Red or Black with Colour Coded Rims. Originally 250 were going to Made, But Engine Problems killed the Project and only 3 got Built and still remain @Holden in Adelaide now and I was told now in the Museum in Echuca(Vic)

Also that year a HSV Enhanced Astra GSi (F) was Built in a Limited Run(250) to help sell of the remaining stock to make way for the Astra G.
This Astra had: MOMO Leather Steering Wheel and Gearknob, Larger Bore Exhaust, Suspension Package(Lowered and Sway Bars) HSV Enhanced Badging and Peter Brock Signature on the Dash(1998 Super Tourers he drove a Astra F).

I worked at Holden/HSV from 1998 to 2001 in Various Areas, But Spraypainting was the Longest. I Painted the Barina Turbos and Astras Parts and Even Blew the Engine in Barina Turbo :D

I heard a Rumour that HSV might be Releasing Barina,Vectra and Barina Models again this Year. So the Vauxhall Theory could the Shot.

JP Dyno
16th May 2004, 03:58 PM
heh i knew about the old astras and the jackeroo, but not the barina., sounds pretty cool. come to holden a few years too late.

sunny
16th May 2004, 08:06 PM
is hsv astra a rebadged version of opc astra though??? :wink:

FlySri
17th May 2004, 11:21 AM
A hsv Sri Turbo would be so sweet :D

Jass
17th May 2004, 12:08 PM
Even better if the car was given a bit more boost and torque, while your at it, thrown in some better pistons, and suspension hehehe :mrgreen:

dug74
17th May 2004, 12:42 PM
Dont know if any of you guys have read this or not,
Just skimming through the lastest Motor Magazine reading up on the little bits i glossed over, and there is an article on the HSV GTO coupe being exported and sold in the Vauxhall VX performance range (like VX220, but bigger and badder)

It goes on about the new 'VX performance range', including the VX Corsa, VX Astra and VX Vectra will most likly be a mix of OPC parts and custom vauxhall engineered bits.....................................

Either way, i reckon i could really grow to love a VX/HSV Vectra... B-)

I remember this when i visited the Vauxhall site last week and they were advertising VX Monaros, they even have the same "GAME OVER" ad that we used except it says Vauxhall @ the end and its a Vaux badged coupe in ad.

Also was reading a UK Vauxhall forum and they announced that Australia would be adding Vauxhall range in 2005.

I didnt now they meant Astras...but it did announce that they were going to release the Vectra in a sports version.

Jass
17th May 2004, 12:53 PM
I wonder if it will be the twin turbo version that OPC did, but its a diesel from memory aint it?

PilkyGSI
17th May 2004, 12:58 PM
while back in the UK i heard that Vauxhall/opel may be bringin a GSI in the current shape model but with a 2ltr 16v engine. anyone heard any more about this

imay
17th May 2004, 02:05 PM
Also worth noting:
This month's Wheels magazine did an 11 hatch comparison. The "6 year old" Astra still came in 2nd place, behind the new Mazda3 hatch. Well ahead of VW Golf, Renault Megain, Ford Focus, etc., etc.
Ian.

sunny
17th May 2004, 02:41 PM
Also worth noting:
This month's Wheels magazine did an 11 hatch comparison. The "6 year old" Astra still came in 2nd place, behind the new Mazda3 hatch. Well ahead of VW Golf, Renault Megain, Ford Focus, etc., etc.
Ian.

was it VW Golf R32? Focus ST170? if so its like OMG !!!!! :wink:

imay
17th May 2004, 03:19 PM
No! They were only doing a comparison on "Joe Average" models, like CD Astra, etc.
I really can't imagine an Astra beating a Golf R32 at anything, except maybe price! That's about the only car (of it's size) that I would like to trade the Astra in for.
Ian

Anonymous
17th May 2004, 03:29 PM
mmmmmm r32 golf....... :D

astra_city
17th May 2004, 06:20 PM
I saw a genuine R32 Golf in a carpark the other day. Looked really menacing 8)

Anonymous
17th May 2004, 06:25 PM
:shock:
Did you steal it and send it to me? :wink:

PaulTheBall
17th May 2004, 07:29 PM
An R32 was in Box Hill a few weeks ago. He eyed off my Opel badges then took off like a bullet :shock:

Nice, but soooooo damn expensive for a small car. I wonder how much they cost to insure.