PDA

View Full Version : Checking out VXR's

Wraith
6th November 2006, 06:15 PM
Hi all, as you all know, there are now quite a number of VXR's in Holden dealerships.

This is the second I've checked out up close and personal :)

A beautiful red example, first was a black - at the same dealership, Booran in Dandenong, very much prefer the red duco.

Now all I am waiting for is the twin top to land and get the missus to decide if that's what she wants - if so, I'm gonna pursuade her to wait and grab a turbo variant :D

Also checked out an AH 1.9 TDi, very strange standing next to an idling small car that sounds exactly like a truck :D very weird indeed, might take some getting used to :)

Anyways here's some pics - enjoy :)

http://i13.tinypic.com/2ufrbdi.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/3zk1bux.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/4fxaxcw.jpg

Poogene2001
6th November 2006, 07:50 PM
Im not a huge fan of the Vauxhall left over V grille.
They could have tried something unique for the "HSV" badged VXR's here.
They spent countless millions to move the HSV tail lights on the new VE's but couldnt invest a few bux into a unique grille to stand out from the rest of the world.
Still a desirable vehicle though!:p

phat-dave
6th November 2006, 08:28 PM
the red just doesnt do it for me.... black as per rudie's beast or that sweet looking blue... theyre the colours to have in my opinion!

digifish
6th November 2006, 10:36 PM
Nice Pics. The grille looks a bit plastic and cheap. I also think I prefer the OPC blue :)

Also checked out an AH 1.9 TDi, very strange standing next to an idling small car that sounds exactly like a truck :D very weird indeed, might take some getting used to :)

You get used to it the first time you put your foot down :D then all is forgiven...

digifish

JR
7th November 2006, 01:25 PM
wat was the options list like? if any?

i pretty disappointed with the limited choices that HSV is offering on the VXR

OPC
7th November 2006, 04:45 PM

id say the options would be same as usual...

never been a fan of the options list...

who really needs a boot lip protector thing and head light covers and rain sheild thingies apart from the people who travel the highways alot

EL BURITO
7th November 2006, 05:50 PM
i want a bonet protector for the next car.

also i have the VXR screensaver atm and i musu say i want one the blue look
ace but i coundn't get plates in the colour

Wraith
7th November 2006, 06:18 PM

Well, now that you ask JR, I was a little dissapointed in that part of it and the car itself 'has not' made me flip over backwards like I thought it would sadly :(

Firstly I don't like the half hearted effort by HSV with the badging, it makes the car look like a bit of joke and an obvious rush job, ie: having both Opel and HSV logos - truly ridiculous.......

Not impressed with the mph domonant speedo either, hopefully future batches get a km/h dominant display.

Then there's the 'blue only' brake calipers, they look good, but don't match all exterior colour choices, red like all other HSV's would have been a much better overall choice IMHO, I think it will be that way on future batches.

The part I really liked though are the gorgeous Recaro seats fitted up front and of course it is O/A a very good looking car.

I know that what I've mentioned above may be only small aesthetic concerns, but they are asking nearly 50k for this thing, so I'd expect to recieve a little more attention to detail !

I only briefly discussed the options list, as the driveaway price was already close to 50k, with additions I'd want, it would easily go over 50k.....would not pay that much for a small hatch - twin top coupe/convertible, different story - just my opinion of course ;)

OPC
7th November 2006, 06:53 PM
Firstly I don't like the half hearted effort by HSV with the badging, it makes the car look like a bit of joke and an obvious rush job, ie: having both Opel and HSV logos - truly ridiculous.......;)

dont forget the VXR logo aswell on the steering wheel right below the opel flash

Not impressed with the mph domonant speedo either, hopefully future batches get a km/h dominant display.;)

mine has KM/H its the OPC dials

Then there's the 'blue only' brake calipers, they look good, but don't match all exterior colour choices, red like all other HSV's would have been a much better overall choice IMHO, I think it will be that way on future batches.;)

they would look much better if they were color coded with each specific color of the purchased car

The part I really liked though are the gorgeous Recaro seats fitted up front and of course it is O/A a very good looking car.;)

DITTO

digifish
7th November 2006, 08:08 PM
I only briefly discussed the options list, as the driveaway price was already close to 50k, with additions I'd want, it would easily go over 50k.....would not pay that much for a small hatch - twin top coupe/convertible, different story - just my opinion of course ;)

Ouch. For not much more you can have a VW R32

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/golf/model_R32.asp
http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car-review/1968806.aspx

or probably better a Golf Mk V GTI.

At 30-35K the Astra CDTi and SRi are a steal, at 40-50 I think better value is to be had elsewhere.

digifish.

Red AH SRI T
7th November 2006, 08:22 PM
Not impressed with the mph domonant speedo either, hopefully future batches get a km/h dominant display.

The Speedo's are in KM/H only.

Shaun
7th November 2006, 10:19 PM
Guy Vauxhall VXR's have MPH / KM/H speedo clusters. Opel only need a KM/H as in Europe its the only messurement they use.

Shaun
7th November 2006, 10:23 PM
Also guys with the Opel Blitz on the Steering wheel and OPC Dash. Nothing will change. HSV isnt importing the volume that Opel Deems for the change to be made.

imay
7th November 2006, 10:33 PM
Just do it Wraith . . . you know you really want to!
We've waited so long for something like this, and now I detect a note of unhappiness in the air?? This is the same car that Top Gear described as "insane" is it not? And with so few available . . . well, if you sit back and think about it for too long, you'll have to wait for a second hand one to come available, and that just wouldn't do.

Love the red, by the way. Wonder how it will fare under the Aussie sun!

Just a couple of conditions before you upgrade, though, Wraith:

A full pictorial on your current TS Convertible for all of us to enjoy (long overdue, by the way);

And . . . I get first dibs on the turbo front bar before you sell/trade/give away the TS!

PaulyJ
7th November 2006, 10:53 PM
I dont think he will ever sell that vert... i wouldn't!

R3N
8th November 2006, 06:28 AM
Also guys with the Opel Blitz on the Steering wheel and OPC Dash. Nothing will change. HSV isnt importing the volume that Opel Deems for the change to be made.

OPC Dash I can understand, but why the Opel blitz on the steering wheel? i'm sure the vxr in the uk doesnt have that!

Red AH SRI T
8th November 2006, 07:42 AM
well it would either have to be the Vauxhall Griffin, the Holden Lion or the Opel Blitz, and i think they made the best choice to go for the Blitz

JohnBu
8th November 2006, 10:16 AM
Ouch. For not much more you can have a VW R32

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/golf/model_R32.asp
http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car-review/1968806.aspx

or probably better a Golf Mk V GTI.

At 30-35K the Astra CDTi and SRi are a steal, at 40-50 I think better value is to be had elsewhere.

digifish.

Unless you know someone at VW, you wouldn't get a Golf GTi with leather for under $45k drive away..

I wouldn't expect to drive away in a R32 for under $60k.

RudeOne
8th November 2006, 11:23 AM
my boss just paid 49k for a gti with leather (but with dsg not manual) with out dsg id expect to be paying 47k

Wraith
8th November 2006, 01:35 PM
Just do it Wraith . . . you know you really want to!
We've waited so long for something like this, and now I detect a note of unhappiness in the air?? This is the same car that Top Gear described as "insane" is it not? And with so few available . . . well, if you sit back and think about it for too long, you'll have to wait for a second hand one to come available, and that just wouldn't do.

Love the red, by the way. Wonder how it will fare under the Aussie sun!

Just a couple of conditions before you upgrade, though, Wraith:

A full pictorial on your current TS Convertible for all of us to enjoy (long overdue, by the way);

And . . . I get first dibs on the turbo front bar before you sell/trade/give away the TS!

Hi there again Ian......:)

O.k sorry guys for any negative feeling I may have passed on, I really do like the VXR alot, probably expected too much, hence my slight (it is only slight) dissapoitment.........If I really wanted one I would get it regardless and mod/fix all the things I don't like :)

And I'm happy to confirm Pauly is correct - ie: No way I'm ever replacing/updating my Astra T vert for anything - I'm getting burried with that car LOL :D

I was looking at the VXR as a possible addition to my 'car collection' or replacement for my Calibra.

However as of late, my missus is starting to grow very keen of the new twin top - as am I and this may very well be the next Opel purchase - more her car than mine however, a set of 20's is going on whether she likes it or not hehehhe :D

I'm gonna hang n wait, 2008 is meant to be the release year for the new Monaro - VE 2 door hatch/coupe......:drool: have lots of special things planned for one of these babies :D oh yeh ...

JR
8th November 2006, 03:02 PM
wat i was trying to say with options was that there was a lack of it. if u go to the vauxhall site - u can see stacks more options available for the VXR.
atleast HSV could or should've provided us with more options. then again, the car isn't here in big numbers, so i can see why.

here is wat i got frm their build configurator:-

Model shown:
Astra Sport Hatch VXR 2.0i 16v Turbo (240PS) in Black Sapphire

Key Features
* 18-inch alloy wheels
* VXR front grille and bumper
* VXR fog lights
* VXR rear roof spoiler
* VXR instrument panel
* Electronic Stability Programme (ESP)
* Remote control ultrasonic security alarm
* Air-conditioning
* Sport switch
* Multi-function trip computer

Interior trims available with Black Sapphire :
* Race/Leather - Silver/Charcoal

Options included as standard:-
* CD 30 MP3 (in lieu of standard audio unit)
- Stereo radio/CD/MP3 CD player
- Remote display
- Full RDS EON with Traffic Programme
- Seven speakers
* Remote control ultrasonic security alarm
* Electronic Stability Programme-plus (ESP-plus)

Costed options:-
* CD 70 (in lieu of standard audio unit) with colour information display
- Stereo radio/CD/MP3 CD player
- CD ROM-driven satellite navigation system
- Steering wheel mounted audio controls
- Seven speakers
- Colour information display
- TMC (Traffic Message Channel)

* CDC 40 (without DAB)
- Stereo radio
- Integral six-disc CD autochanger
- Graphic information display
- Steering wheel mounted audio controls
- Seven speakers
- Note: Does not include Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB) facility.

* Sight and Light Pack
- Rain-sensitive windscreen wipers
- Electro-chromatic anti-dazzle rear-view mirror
- Automatic lighting control

* Sports Pack (std with 1.9CDTi 16v (150ps) and 2.0 16v turbo (170ps))
- 17-inch 10-spoke alloy wheels with 225/45 R 17 tyres (steel space-saver spare)
- Uprated sports steering
- Sports switch
- Electronic Stability Programme-plus (ESP-plus)
- Lowered and uprated sports suspension

* Interactive Driving System (IDS+)

* Mobile phone system with Bluetooth (does not include phone or cradle)

* Electrically foldable door mirrors

* Adaptive Forward Lighting (AFL) incorporating bi-xenon headlights with dynamic beam leveling and high-pressure washers

* 19-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels with 235/35 R 19 ultra-low profile tyres

* Rear parking distance sensors

* Keyless entry and start

* Cruise control

* Electronic Climate Control (ECC)

Shaun
8th November 2006, 11:08 PM
JR. Quick Point on the Vauxhall Spec and this is for everone. In the UK Most things are Optional.
Read the Keyless Entry thats standard on a CD here.

This is how Vauxhall keep the cost of there Models down. HSV have speced the car with Many Features. Bare in mind what cost 1000 Euro will cost us close to 1800 Australian dollars. Now take into account that Xenon Lighting with active lighting is arround 200 British Pounds which comes close to about 5k AUD.

i have priced a Milltek landed from the UK and its close to 3k . (1200 pounds)

So HSV have Speced the car to a level that was Achievable for people to buy and Achievable for them to sell. No Point appointing a car that is going to be 48k + orc to Australia. Its unfortunate but thats the way the cookie crumbles as our Dollar is Not that strong against the Euro or the British Pound

Shaun
8th November 2006, 11:16 PM
OPC Dash I can understand, but why the Opel blitz on the steering wheel? i'm sure the vxr in the uk doesnt have that!

Its all do with Volume. Its not a matter of putting another badge on there. The unit has to be tested with an Airbag. The badges on the Steering wheel shouldnt be pulled off for that matter as you can damage the air bag unit which can deploy at any given time once damage accours.

HSV are importing about 300 max a year. the cost on Air Bag testing is into the tens of thousands of dollars which would mean its not Viable for the Factory to do so. On the Other Hand Opel And Vauxhall sell 2500 VXR and OPC Units each in a year . The cost for Opel to do a Vauxhall Griffin on the Wheel is and Opel Biltz is justifiable. Personally i think the Griffin Looks Better . But im getting more acustom to the Opel Blitz and OPC Dash.

For those who have VXR's already my contacts in the UK tell me you can change the dials over to VXR Spec. You need to Just order them in from the UK. The dealers can pull the cluster dials out and changed them.

Shaun

OPC
9th November 2006, 11:22 AM
shaun... i dont wanna change it to vxr specs... i wanna change it to opc

eg. the vxr symbol on the steering wheel (i want the opc badge)

the vxr badge on the right bumper (i want the opc badge)

the hsv wheel caps (i want the flash caps)

the hsv front grille (i want the flash grille)

Shaun
14th November 2006, 11:54 PM
Jay,
You need to Order them from Overseas the OPC Gear. HSV / Holden wont bring them in (Same as the SRi T TS) When you were looking for them on your old one. You need to Order them From a Dealer either in the UK or Europe.

OPC
15th November 2006, 07:02 PM
Jay,
You need to Order them from Overseas the OPC Gear. HSV / Holden wont bring them in (Same as the SRi T TS) When you were looking for them on your old one. You need to Order them From a Dealer either in the UK or Europe.

stuff that... ill talk to slim...

i thought you had contacts :(

For those who have VXR's already my contacts in the UK tell me .

Shaun

Shaun
15th November 2006, 11:55 PM
stuff that... ill talk to slim...

i thought you had contacts :(

I have contacts within Vauxhall and Astra Forums that Have close dealings with Vauxhall VXR. But i have an E-mail for a Dealership where i bought my gear from if you would like it ?

OPC
16th November 2006, 05:29 PM
I have contacts within Vauxhall and Astra Forums that Have close dealings with Vauxhall VXR. But i have an E-mail for a Dealership where i bought my gear from if you would like it ?

ah yeah we will talk about that when i see ya this weekend