PDA

View Full Version : YE Calibra Turbo AWD

Roquefort
5th November 2006, 07:45 PM
Lets say i was looking at a project car after buying the CDXi, what are these Calibra's like?
After going for a spin in my mates SR20DET powered Bluebird, i would not mind stuffing around with a turbo, and to be a little different i looked at this thing.
Are they any good? or not worth messing with, Are the CS20's a strong motor or would a motor out of an astra turbo bolt up?
lol i cant beleive im asking about a turbo 4

blueraven
5th November 2006, 10:22 PM
ask the same question on www.clubcalibra.org :D

but i will start them off : they calibra motor is a MUCH stronger unit than the astra turbo, but the awd system can break easily if not treated properly. they are very tunable, with well over 300hp easily reached. they are heavy and in stock form they handle ok, but if you put it next to say. an old wrx, the wrx would better allround (but would cost you a hell of alot more, and remember the calibra turbo was designed in 1990!!)

these days they are cheap, look great for their age and if you find a turbo with a good awd box then you should have a good time. ask more on the calibra sites, in fact i am sure there are buying uides on there if you are looking for one!

i used to have a non-turbo cally, and it was great :D

Tfer
5th November 2006, 10:30 PM
Don't know much about the Calibra's but what I do know is that they still grab my attention.... very nice proportions, and has definitely stood the test of time..... sweet project ;)

CAL.16V
5th November 2006, 10:49 PM
i have one and i am happy with it...

very easy to get power out of it.. some chips, bit more fueling, exhasut, fmic and intake should see you have 160kw atfw ++ l;ike me :) .. so for not much cash you have a fairly quick car ... with these mods 0-100 in about 5-6 seconds depending on driver with 1/4 mile in the high 13's if your driveline will take it well lol

they weigh 1400kg so kinda lardy ... have vewry good grip! in the wet no wheel spin at all with 20psi overboost, weras in the dry in fwd it fries thge tyres in 2nd when it hits boost if you want it to which is ok for 18s i guess on a car which weighs 1.4T

handle ok.. bit boaty in stock form... i have changed all the suspension which has cost me heaps and it feels alot better althouygh i am still not happy with it for trhe money paid but i guess i cant really get muc more out of it

brakes are ok, has heaps of options, looks good and holds up well against 200sx's, wrxs, v8s ect..

in stock form a wrx is quicker though and the cally is not too much quicker then an integra type r but with a few cheap mods it goes alot better...

i have fitted a fwd switch, which is easy so i can change it when i want and i actually find it better to drive in fwd mode personally just because it feels more lighter/agile and feels quicker bt that might be due to the fact that its got more grip in 4wd mode..

if you get a good one with a good history it is a good car... go to the cally site and search and you will find a buying guide, but the mors are very strong, they can handle 400bhp on the stock internals if you dont rev it to redline but generally about 350bhp which is heaps you can redline it all day everyday if you wish and they will handle it.. weakest point is the rods/rod bolts which should bne upgraded at about 350bhp

stock turbo will flow a maximum of about 300bhp

cybermonkey
6th November 2006, 12:00 PM
good solid cars let down by a poor passive 4WD system. C20LET engine is hard as nails if its been treated well over its life and looked after with frequent servicing. the tell-tale signs of a dodgy transfer box are uneven tyre wear left and right. Even a small amount of tread difference is enough to send the transfer box up the wall. Saying that, if it is treated well there is no reason not to buy a car of this age. Interior is comfy, and feels nice to drive, much like a tourer rather than a hard-edged coupe.

Misguidedangel
6th November 2006, 12:57 PM
After going for a spin in my mates SR20DET powered Bluebird,

Completely offtopic... is that an imported Bluebird SSS or just the locally delivered ones with an SR20 conversion?

CAL.16V
6th November 2006, 04:50 PM
import cversion sss attesa

Roquefort
8th November 2006, 09:30 PM
Completely offtopic... is that an imported Bluebird SSS or just the locally delivered ones with an SR20 conversion?
Noy quite sure, i thought they came with the n/a version of the sr20 when they were sold, but he bought it already with the engine swap, i assume from a GTi-R or something, if any one knows about the SR20 engines, it has a red cover, if that means anything.

CAL.16V
9th November 2006, 02:37 AM
4wd bluebird sss atessas.
2L sr20det not 2.4