PDA

View Full Version : Mods and your insurance

EL BURITO
4th November 2006, 07:34 AM
em thats the scary one ay

I was insured with allianze (dam bad spelling but its 430am) they refused to renew my policy cos of the amount of the modification so my insurence tripled when i moved to GIO but they are good about the mods. Basicly i do some thing ring them up and they say its $x amount extra. Some insures have issues with certain things at certain ages, but that should not present a problem for u i dont think. I just declard moded suspension and the total cost of all the bits. extra $40 a year.

hope that makes sence

EL BURITO
4th November 2006, 07:35 AM
WTF y are the posts muddled up?

Noir
4th November 2006, 04:42 PM
When modificating your car I presume it is best to always check with your insurance company first and then notify them of any changes.

Do you declare everything from rims to sway bars?

I havent checked with my insurer yet :doh: What can I expect? How has it changed your fees and claims?

mackeysam
5th November 2006, 02:14 AM
When modificating your car I presume it is best to always check with your insurance company first and then notify them of any changes.

Do you declare everything from rims to sway bars?

I havent checked with my insurer yet :doh: What can I expect? How has it changed your fees and claims?

i'm insured with 'just car' and they were the only company that would insure my car cause its been lowered 2". the maximum for the other companies was 1.5". i told them that it was lowered, sound system, exhaust, rims, front strut brace and yeah thats about it and im paying $1748...but then again im not 18 till february and i havent had my p's for a full year yet, so my insurace will go down a bit next year...

hope this helps,
sam

Petey
6th November 2006, 09:27 PM
before you change, modify or add anything to your car its better to talk to them to find out if you'd still be covered...

the worst thing that could happen is they refuse to cover you after a collision as you had not advised them of any changes from the original vehicle

and yes i know someone this happened to. he modified his dad's 01 Magna (it was given to him as a gift), lowered, body kit, rims, exhaust etc... but he didn't tell his insurance. they refused to cover him as he didn't tell them about these mod's.

better to let them know & be covered even if it costs a little more or find somewhere that will cover you...

cyclonic
6th November 2006, 11:42 PM
Yep, declare everything and ask first. Otherwise, you'll be in poo.

pred8r
7th November 2006, 01:02 PM
ask them first then insure and wait 12 months for the next years renewal.

Last year agreed value (with mods inc.) was $21k
Just got renewal - agreed value ?!? $16.5k

Id hate for anything to actually happen in the next month while last years policy still stands.

SSS_Hoon
7th November 2006, 01:09 PM
my insurance i can do whatever mods i want as long as i tell them and are legal and all is fine with no xtra charge on top.

SSS_Hoon

JasonGilholme
7th November 2006, 01:53 PM
Im with just cars and they seem to be pretty good.

I emailed them about insuring my gauges that i'm installing. I told them that the retail price was around about 1200 bucks and the said they would cover my gauges for an extra 60 dollars a year.

I'm not complainin at all!

Jase

vectraguy01
8th November 2006, 06:55 PM
include everything and tell them everything, otherwise u get into wat i was in when i told them everything i mod'ed and once i had my accident they wouldnt cover me for damage to my rims or anything, i had to go up higher up the chain to get it worked out, it does work, but if u dont tell them and u need to claim they wont cover u otherwise

Noir
12th November 2006, 05:08 AM
I rang them this morning to update the insurance and got a response I was not prepared for.

I can modify my car in any way shape or form and it will not increase my premium providing it is legal! I insured the rims and increased the agreed value of the car. My new adjusted premium is less than what I pay now all due to the approve alarm I installed last week.

Well that was easy. Now I just have to decide which body damaged area I wish to make a claim on.