PDA

View Full Version : When are we going to see AWD Opels & Holdens?

vectra_zc
1st November 2006, 08:43 PM
When are we going to see AWD Opels & Holdens?

To be honest, I can't believe they are still doing FWD from Opel.
Interestingly the new VE Commodore hasn't got a AWD variant as an option. I would have thought that was a given.

On a side note, I hear Holdens attempt at AWD with the Adventra was full dodgy. In that the design of the AWD system was very primitive. Not that I am a tech head or support the comment but it is common opinion Holdens AWD system isn't a legit AWD system.

Anyway, interested in your thoughts and any info on introducing AWD models.

Wattie
1st November 2006, 08:52 PM
erm holden captiva??

auzvectra
1st November 2006, 09:07 PM
i think it was a rwd system that called on front wheels when needed, i think the biggest issue with it was the high fuel consumption.

vectra_zc
1st November 2006, 09:10 PM
erm holden captiva??

Wow! A SUV with AWD. No wonder it can climb tall buildings in the advert. Gee that is an innovation...............!

:eek:

one2have
1st November 2006, 09:19 PM
Wow! A SUV with AWD. No wonder it can climb tall buildings in the advert. Gee that is an innovation...............!

:eek:

Do I detect some sarcasm?

Adventura wasn't that bad - if you really need to have a large Holden AWD that is. Other option is the HSV Coupe4.

bill142
1st November 2006, 09:48 PM
You won't see any on current platforms. I highly doubt that AWD has been factored into many of the Opel platforms. A high powered Astra with AWD at a reasonable price (probablt VXR pricing and power) would be a serious competitor to the WRX.

The old Commodore platform was not AWD ready and the coupe 4 and Adventura were simply modified to suit, however they were not ideal. The coupe4 wasn't as powerful as its rwd counterpart due to restrictions placed on the exhaust cause of the awd.

The new Zeta platform has had AWD factored into its design, however clearly Holden havn't developed it yet, or there isn't a market for it. Lets not forget that AWD usually adds to the overall weight of a car and with current fuel prices, the Commodore has enough challenges.

CAL.16V
1st November 2006, 09:56 PM
cough, calibra turbo

Red AH SRI T
2nd November 2006, 07:33 AM
i think it was a rwd system that called on front wheels when needed, i think the biggest issue with it was the high fuel consumption.

you think worng :p

CrossTrac was a constant AWD system, and was infact more advanced in design than the sytem in the Ford Territory.

Just a shame it was slammed under a commodore wagon shell.

Wraith
2nd November 2006, 08:05 AM
cough, calibra turbo

Pat, I think he's referring to new Opel platforms, not past blasts like the Cali :D

Speaking of which as an AWD the Cali was a disaster........most of you guys drive em as FWD, for reliability, making it not much of a 4WD contender at all.......;)

CAL.16V
2nd November 2006, 01:13 PM
Speaking of which as an AWD the Cali was a disaster........most of you guys drive em as FWD, for reliability, making it not much of a 4WD contender at all.......;)

true, is there when i need it though :)

oneightoo
2nd November 2006, 03:07 PM
if its looked after it'll serve you well tho..

Wraith
2nd November 2006, 04:31 PM
Would be great to grab one that someone's already installed the improved TX box assy. to - it's about 6k's worth of hardware and effort :eek: seen at least 2 for sale over the years with that :)

vectra_zc
2nd November 2006, 07:56 PM
you think worng :p

CrossTrac was a constant AWD system, and was infact more advanced in design than the sytem in the Ford Territory.

Just a shame it was slammed under a commodore wagon shell.

Now that is a very interesting point. So the question is, how will the Captiva go in a head to head battle with the Ford Territory?

I just watched AIM Captiva video, it didn't look too bad at all. But the Daewoo stigma is bound to put off many potential buyers. One day the consumer will get over it, but it is still fresh in everyones mind.

stevedee3
2nd November 2006, 08:26 PM
But the Daewoo stigma is bound to put of many potential buyers. One day the consumer will get over it, but it is still fresh in everyones mind.It will be interesting to see how the Captive MaXX (Opel Antara) is perceived then...

juzza
2nd November 2006, 10:44 PM
I get a disturbing feeling that there won't even be rear wheel drive Holdens in the next 10 years, sure they're V8s and they're great and everything but how long can GM, who at the moment is suffering justify throwing RWD into cars.. just look at what stupid Toyota are doing pushing 200kw+ out of a FWD.. it's madness I tell you, but I get the feeling it's going to be the future, ~230kW front wheel drive V6 Commodores, with RWD either reserved for the V8s/HSVs or completely non-existant.

I reckon it's just a matter of who will snap first in Australia, Holden or Ford. We all know the benefits as well as the downfalls of FWD versus RWD.. cheaper cost at manufacturing/selling the thing versus reduced handling and pushing all that power through the wheels which are steering as well.

AWD is good but I think we need to be a bit more realistic - look at the state of American brand cars with their FWD and V8s :| If companies here want to keep attracting buyers to their big cars (especially with stupid fuel prices going always up) they'll need to entice them, and what better way than having a cheaper car?

Ah I don't know anymore, it's all too complicated :p

Red AH SRI T
3rd November 2006, 08:12 AM
GM ain't suffering justifying RWD.

They have made Holden the global leader within the GM empire for all RWD vehicles, and there are a hell of a lot of new RWD cars to come from GM.

So i wouldn't right off RWD just yet.

180HOA
3rd November 2006, 06:50 PM
erm holden captiva??

Isn't the Craptiva just an on demand system a-la Honda CRV (i.e. normally FWD with drive to the rear when the front slips)? And is there any handling benefit in this sort of system anyway? I kinda imagine it'd only be useful when tromping the throttle off the lights in the wet?

Wraith
4th November 2006, 12:32 PM
Hi Pat, at that price it's a wonder why people with Cali T's don't do this mod.

Would be the best mod you can do for it, you could then bump up the power as the C20LET has plenty to offer with minimal effort and enjoy constant and reliable AWD performance...... :)

As for Holden going to FWD for their V8's hopefully it'll never happen, the U.S. went that way ages ago, but GMH never followed suit then and havn't since.

CAL.16V
4th November 2006, 03:52 PM
Would be great to grab one that someone's already installed the improved TX box assy. to - it's about 6k's worth of hardware and effort :eek: seen at least 2 for sale over the years with that :)

they are 2k landed if you pay full price... install isnt more than 500-1000

if looked after they are fine though with regular oil changes and ps changes, just like any car...

Oz
5th November 2006, 05:48 PM
Correct, the Captiva's AWD system is simply on demand like Honda's etc. So most of the time it is FWD only.

There is apparently some very serious thought in Europe that the next Vectra (Vectra D) will be or at the very least offer a variant or two with AWD. Problem for us here is that Holden has fallen victim of the "lets sell cheap unsafe korean junk to make a buck" syndrome which could be a serious obsticle in our chances of seeing the Vectra D come here. :(

Miyagi
5th November 2006, 08:53 PM
Would be nice to see a AWD VXR out here. Based on Holden's support of the VXR from a marketing / launch perspective i wouldn't hold my breath on it happening anytime soon though.

Vauxhall / Opel need to get a VXR into the WRC. :cool:

bill142
5th November 2006, 09:39 PM
It would be great to see an Astra WRC. I doubt it would be a VXR as WRC cars are essentially prototypes based on production cars. Unlike our Group N based championship which has a prototype catagory, but it must use parts from the manufacturers catalog hence the Corolla using Celica GT4 running gear.