PDA

View Full Version : Plastics

Charlatan
28th October 2006, 02:02 PM
A few of the plastics around my wheel arches have started to fade in patches. They look fine if I put bumper shine on them, but it never really lasts that long. Seeing as my warranty is about to run out, I thought I might see if I can hit Holden up for some new ones. Anyone know what my chances are like?

PaulyJ
28th October 2006, 03:19 PM
Maybe. You'll have to ask really politely. i dont think those items are covered under warranty.

EL BURITO
28th October 2006, 03:24 PM
they would mostly so its due to general wear and tair, maby its time for some colour coding ?

Charlatan
28th October 2006, 05:40 PM
meh, colourcoded barinas just look wrong.

I do find it incredible that Opel learnt nothing from the SB barinas in regards to cheap plastics. Not designed for the aussie sun i guess.

EL BURITO
28th October 2006, 05:55 PM
i do agree about the SB plastics they look dreadful

but the colour coding was one of those little things that pisses me off wen it comes to the Oz spec to the UK spec

digifish
30th October 2006, 10:15 PM
A few of the plastics around my wheel arches have started to fade in patches.

I used to have an SB Barina with black...turning grey...wheel arch plastic. I was using 'So Easy' foaming spray, and like you found it to only last a few weeks. Then I used some real tyre-black (the stuff that's coloured black in a can) and they came up perfect, black and shiny, and lasted 12 months at a time.

digifish

PaulyJ
31st October 2006, 12:21 AM
Can you remember the name of it?
I want to try it.

digifish
31st October 2006, 08:44 AM
Can you remember the name of it?
I want to try it.

Ummm...can't even find it any more in my garage. Look for something in a tin (with claims of gloss/shiny black) that is 'paint on'. I think these things are all basically the same.

Was a 250 ml can with 'Tyre Black' written on it :D Yellow and black is all I can remember about the colour scheme.

Thinking about this I also wonder if black shoe polish would work just as well?

digifish.

Tfer
31st October 2006, 08:59 AM
I have seen the tyre black tins in Big W and Kmart, but the ones I have seen are a white can with black and red writing/trim? By memory, the stuff holds on..... :)

digifish
31st October 2006, 09:07 AM
I have seen the tyre black tins in Big W and Kmart, but the ones I have seen are a white can with black and red writing/trim? By memory, the stuff holds on..... :)

Indeed. BTW: I had a latex glove on and applied it with a rag, just rubbed it in. After it was dry I gave it a bit of a buff.

digifish

InsaneAsylum
31st October 2006, 10:22 AM
i believe someone told me to use MR SHEEN

otherwise colour coding is a good option, but a litlle more costly

PaulyJ
31st October 2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys, i'll give it a try

JasonGilholme
31st October 2006, 12:26 PM
The UK lacks this stuff call UV radiation so they don't factor it in to their choice of plastics. :/

WLD-18L
31st October 2006, 08:32 PM
i saw this stuff in the car care section of super cheap auto, i forget the name of it but it was like a die. you had to mix up the 2 parts (like a hair die) and then apply to fadded or sun damaged plastic bumpers. it was for Black bumpers only.

it soundeed like an awsome product and the strenght of the stuff must mean that i would last a long time. i didnt buy it coz my plastics are fine i just use maguiers trim detailer. (which protects from UV and stops fadding)

try it out might solve your problem.

PaulyJ
31st October 2006, 08:38 PM
when i find some time, i'll head down and have a look

digifish
31st October 2006, 08:57 PM
when i find some time, i'll head down and have a look

Whatever you try, remember to do a test-patch first! :angel:

digifish

PaulyJ
31st October 2006, 09:04 PM
hehe dont worry, i will
i'd hate to do a whole section, stand back and go "Ohhh f***!"

digifish
31st October 2006, 09:09 PM
hehe dont worry, i will
i'd hate to do a whole section, stand back and go "Ohhh f***!"

...yeah, but, common-sense and logic can go out the window very quickly when you get back from the shop and are holding a shiny new can of the latest wonder-goop in your hand. :eek:

Repeat after me... "Will do test patch!"

digifish

PaulyJ
31st October 2006, 09:11 PM
Will do test patch
Will do test patch
Will do test patch
Will do test patch
Will do test patch

platypus
2nd November 2006, 10:47 PM
black chrome is awesome - had used that for aaages but lately i can't find the stuff :(

otherwise try and get pure silicone... its great stuff

beep beep sri
3rd November 2006, 03:31 PM
id be steering clear of anything with silicon as its petrolium and plastic and petrolium dont mix. it may bleech the plastic over time it may not. i have read about other people using silicon and they found out the hard way

platypus
4th November 2006, 10:29 AM
id be steering clear of anything with silicon as its petrolium and plastic and petrolium dont mix. it may bleech the plastic over time it may not. i have read about other people using silicon and they found out the hard way

silicone is a pure element... refer here - item number 14
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~lvw/physics/pertable.html
note i said PURE silicone, not spray on **** which is full of petrochemicals and hydrocarbons...

also worth noting... petrol is not a pure element...

Petey
6th November 2006, 09:06 PM
unless you colour code the arches nothing you spray on or rub into them will last that long.

after paint, colour dyes (yes shoepolish really works!) such forever black work for quite a while but can be hard to apply evenly.

least durable are the sprays, creams, gels & liquids such as Trim restore (poorboys), armour all, yuk off, gold class trim restorer (meguiars) & bumper care (auto glym). apply them thickly, let them set for a few minutes before buffing off. the trim will look good for a few days or so but then fade. keep applying on a regularly basis for best results.

if you can get them painted, it makes life so much easier.

Vectracious
7th November 2006, 05:04 PM
Mothers Back to Black

http://www.mothers.com/products/
(click on special care, second item down)

I have never tried this, but several people who I have spoken to swear by it...

platypus
7th November 2006, 11:48 PM
on another note - i have found that with many of the back to blacks etc the plastic actually absorbs the goop hardcore, because its been so starved - best to keep it up for a couple of weeks at 2-3 day intervals - sure its a PITA but it does settle down...