PDA

View Full Version : Astra TDi: Info please.

Turblue
24th October 2006, 12:18 PM
It is getting close to a point where I need to trade in. And one of the cars I am seriously looking into is the Astra TDi. I need to get some info before I consider it fully and go for a test drive.

1: What is the average fuel consumption that you are experiencing, and under what conditions? My reason is that I mainly travel very short distances, 12 km one way to work. So my SRiT gets crap economy (~10.5L/100km) as it never really warms up. Will the TDi suffer the same due to the short distances?

2: What are they like on the road? Handling, clutch etc....

3: Build quality and interior fitout? Comfort levels?

I will not look at another SRiT as my budget will not be higher than $30k.

Thanks all...

Wraith
24th October 2006, 12:52 PM
Hi Wayne, don't know who's going to be able to answer your questions here, as you may very well be the 1st to get one !

O/S Astra forums might be the go :confused:

Only thing I don't like about these and pretty much all TDi cars, is the big cloud of black smoke behind you when you give em a bit of stick :( you may have also seen the comparo on 5th gear - VXR vs Triple 8 TDi, the TDi had a big black plume following it everywhere on the track :o

The one good thing however I think we'd all love is the massive torque output :)

All the best with it whichever way you go ;)

blueraven
24th October 2006, 01:41 PM
heaps of guys on www.astra-sport.co.uk have em wayne..have a looksee there.

Mr T
24th October 2006, 02:02 PM
My experience with diesels is that they use less fuel when driving slow than fast...My Rodeo used 10L/100 around town and about 12L/100 on the motorway (gearing and aerodynamics were big contributors here) also deisels have no choke, hence no extra fuel during warm up. Bank on about 7L/100 combined for this car.

The astra CDTi is only available in CD trim...so say goodbye to luxuries like leather seats etc...AH has a higher standard trim level so this will compensate a little

Handling...??? add a least 150KG over the front wheels for the Oiler, combined with stock wheels and springs...I'd dare say you'll be changing them in no time.

But think about this...you're abit of fiddler...you can make your own Bio-Deisel for about 40c/liter. There is a bloke in Melbourne that sells the kits.

I looked right into this car as it is 4Dr, Opel, reasonably priced and massive performance gains are available, I then found out that it was only in the Poverty Pack...Hence why I am still looking for a new car.

phat-dave
24th October 2006, 06:18 PM
my understanding is the cdit is same trim level as the cdx top of the range 5dr astra? i could be wrong, but this is why i thought the cdit was such great value for your money

EL BURITO
24th October 2006, 06:24 PM
my understanding is the cdit is same trim level as the cdx top of the range 5dr astra? i could be wrong, but this is why i thought the cdit was such great value for your money
no cos leather isnt even a option at present :(

phat-dave
24th October 2006, 07:00 PM
damn, thats ordinary then especially at 30k

rjastra
24th October 2006, 07:14 PM
The CDTi get a mixture of CD and CDX features.

Handling...??? add a least 150KG over the front wheels for the Oiler, combined with stock wheels and springs...I'd dare say you'll be changing them in no time.

Doesn't the manual CDti get the lowered sports suspension with electronic adjustable shock absorbers?
CDti also get 16 inch rims and tyres off the CDX.

Overall about the only major difference is the seat trim and trip computer.

xplosv57
24th October 2006, 07:40 PM
How come leather isnt an option, wouldn't it be a straight swap with a CDXi interior of does the CDTi have different interior bits where a leather interior can't be fitted???

So Wayne, does this mean the SRi-T is on the market???

Captjono
24th October 2006, 08:55 PM
Check out specs on following page;
http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/specs.php?key=HOLD06HI&new=1

I generally find this site awesome at looking up car specs...both new and used.

www.redbook.com

PaulyJ
24th October 2006, 10:44 PM
Wayne, ask the guys on the Vic Forum that have had the chiptune done. Better yet, meet up with them and see whats its like.

Red AH SRI T
25th October 2006, 07:50 AM
The CDTi is pretty much CDX spec, same saeats and trimmings ect, however it has the CD models stereo and a more basic trip computer.

Turblue
25th October 2006, 08:17 AM
For the right price, yes the SRiT is on the market.

I have to look into the details of what the car is realistically worth as a trade-in and on the open market.

NUTTTR
25th October 2006, 09:25 AM
Drive one first before you say it'll be heavy, etc.

The stock CDTi outhandles the CD AH astra's hands down. It also handles better than the 2.2 SRi in stock form. It seems to grip the road quite a bit better. The clutch is quite heavy, i mean, the 2.2L clutch is light and very easy, but the diesel is heavy. They are very efficent. Even playing traffic light tag i was getting about 7L/100. At high speed they are stupidly efficent. I mean, 3.9L/100 on the freeway average. A mix of driving lead me to get about 6L/100. That's with booting it off the lights too. They need to be lowered IMHO for the look, and need better mags, but even stock they are scarily quick. Inside they don't sound like a diesel even when flogging them. However open the window in a carpark and they sound diesel like. Turbo sounds nice :) Seats were the killer for me, they simply aren't as nice as the SRi ones, and having a bad back, i'd need different seats. It's not JUST the CDTi, it's the CD AH, etc as well (Fiancee has one). I just can't get comfy. The torque is scary, they have so much torque. A remap would see you with more smiles than the SRiT now delivers and also with a lot of surprised people at the lights :)

GET ONE!

Aaron

[edit - as a comparison, with the same driving style in the SRi 2.2, i get about 10L/100k's on ultimate! At the moment i average 13/100K's on ultimate (!!!) as i'm driving about 5k each way :(]

mintaka
25th October 2006, 12:07 PM
G'day,

As a 4 month owner of a CDTi I can say that you won't look back if you get one.

First to answer your questions;

1 My fuel economy hovers around the 4.8 to 5.2 l/100 km. Don't get too excited, as I live in a semi-rural mountainous environment with few traffic lights and top speeds of 80 kmh. I tend to drive it careful; wife tends to flog it, thus the variation. If I lived in a flat country town it would do a lot better. City?? At a guess high 5's to low 6's, but don't hold me to it.

2 I have a manual, and yes it's lowered. Handling is fantastic! It will easily go around corners at speeds that scare me. It will need a braver / stupider driver than I to find its ultimate limits. Little bit of torque steer when you boot it, but with 320 Nm going through the front wheels, what do you expect? I wouldn't call the clutch heavy. The dampers are not adjustable. The 'sport' button only changes the accelerator and steering response. Does have 16'' alloys.
The downside for all that handling prowess is the ride is very firm. It was quite a shock going from my Pug 307 to the Astra. You know you're on a crap road with the Astra, with the 307 it would just kind of glide over it. But I'm getting used to it now.
As for performance, I think Nutter said it all. It's a real 230 km + car. I can give most things a fright off the line, and I'll kill just about anyone going up a hill. The best bit is you can tootle around, never going past 2K rpm if you want to ... or give the thing a right fanging. Either will put a smile on you face.

3 Build quality is great, much better than the 307. Feels solid and well screwed together. No leather options, very few options at all. Big disappointment for me was no climate control. (got used to it in the 307) I thought the 307 had a nicer interior, but there is nothing wrong with the Astra's. Seat's are fine IMHO. Firm, as most German cars are, but no numb bum after hours in the saddle. Trip computer has all the functions, basic LED display but it works. Otherwise, cruise, AC, lots of safety gear, good stereo that can play MP3's, buttons on steering wheel. Not a lot of storage bins (the 307 had heaps) but a decent glove box (307's was a joke). I wouldn't call this the poverty pack by any means. Just would have been nice to have a few more options.

My opinion? Get one, get it in Black. But don't buy it just because it's fuel enconomy. It's a whole package, performance, handling.

JohnBu
26th October 2006, 02:54 PM
im thinking why doesn't australia get the diesel in coupe format?

wayne, only one way to find out... test drive one..

but i dunno, doesnt seem overly sporty.

i'll retain/refinance the SRiT get the AH SRi, $5k extra on a lease is nothing after tax

dan_kind
27th October 2006, 06:15 PM
I am pretty impressed with it! A family member recently purchased a TDi (interestingly some seem to have red badging, others not..) anyhow.. its awesome (in as much as diesels in Aus are concerned).... compared to the Barina SRi it feels a lot heavier.. tends to understeer more but can be pushed into pretty lurid throttle off oversteer as well... (esp off obviously)..

I _dont_ think i would grab one over the petrol Astra SRi, but then again, if you like the idea of crazy amounts of low down torque.. this is your car!

EL BURITO
27th October 2006, 07:34 PM
the reason some have red badging is cos the manuels get red badging and the auto just the silver

digifish
29th October 2006, 11:36 AM
As a 4 month owner of a CDTi I can say that you won't look back if you get one.

100% Agreed. I have had one for about 6 weeks...

The car is tight in all respects. There is no body flex and the handling inspires great confidence. The car feels safe to drive and the suite of electronic stability enhancements will protect drivers from the consequences of their own stupidity.

This diesel engine is obviously a diesel at idle (although you get used to it after a couple of days). At any speed over 30 km/hr the engine has a smooth grunty sound, with a faint turbo whistle spooling down on changes. At anything over 40 km/hr you are struggling to hear that the engine is a diesel any more.

I have 1300 km on it so I am yet to give it a thorough thrashing but the in-gear acceleration takes your breath away, with 110 kW and 320 Nm of torque it can catapult out of corners and keep up with V8s.

It can go up steep hills in 6th gear with 4 people on board and the air-con and you will barely know it’s happening, quite amazing. Indeed, this is the only car I have ever driven that I can't feel the air-con kick in or know if it's on or off.

What is insane to me is that my average consumption around town (Adelaide) is 5.5 l / 100 kM...all while trying to peel the front tyres off the rims :D Every night when I get home from the daily commute I have had a huge grin on my face.

While the suspension is 'stock' it's 15 mm lower than the standard AH and a bit firmer. The ride comfort is good, although not as nice as the standard model. However the improved handling is worth it.

The only issue I have at the moment is the 6 speed manual is a little tight/notchy, hard to get into 1st when cold. But that I am sure will loosen up with a few 1000 km.

BTW: Before you buy a SRi Turbo, drive it back to back with the CDTi...I preferred the CDTi, that's why I have it. This was both in terms of comfort (seats in the SRi are too bolstered) the ride is just a notch harder/harsher, the turbo seems a tad laggy/lumpy in its power delivery and the coupe while looking very sexy is far less practical. :confused:

If you do test-drive one, keep a very close eye on the speedo, the car runs through gears so quickly en effortlessly, and with so few RPMs on board that it seems the gearing is too short. It's when you look at the speedo you realise you have just dropped into 3rd and are doing 80 in a 60 zone :eek: .

The Astra CDTi has to be the best kept secret in Australian car scene. I have no idea why Holden isn’t flogging this for all it’s worth.

I am never going back to petrol

digifish

dieselhead
30th October 2006, 10:13 PM
i agree, the Atra DTI is amazing! I test drove one a full weekend and just couldn't get enough of it. I was thinking to buy one but the hatch doesn't have enough boot... you know how it is, need to fit in family+dog... my only hope is they release a wagon with that brutal oil burner, now that would be the ideal family car imho :)
do you think there's a chance to see the astra diesel wagon down under?

digifish
30th October 2006, 10:23 PM
my only hope is they release a wagon with that brutal oil burner, now that would be the ideal family car imho :)
do you think there's a chance to see the astra diesel wagon down under?

I heard that's indeed the plan, if they sell enough standard cars and it looks like the market is taking to the deisel. A diesel wagon would probably suit the demographic better than the CDTi 'sport' pack.

digifish

EL BURITO
30th October 2006, 10:24 PM
If sales are high anouth, and the fact they didnt bring out the wagon in the 2.2L could mean that they are thinking about it.

maby ?

Clint
1st November 2006, 08:02 PM
a guy near where i live makes his own biodiesel, costs him less than 10c/litre to make. he had a seminar on how to do it not long ago, made some infront of everyone put it in his car and used that to get home. he uses quite a lot of it though, so that would probably decrease the cost of making it. he has no electricity conection to his house, he has a generator with biodiesel and battery to store power, which turns out cheaper to run than paying for electricity from energex.

and he also uses it in his competition drag racer. he has put the racer on the dyno with normal diesel from the fuel station, then did another dyno test with his biodiesel and it showed increased torque and performance. so biodiesel sounds the way to go, cheap and gives more performance.

digifish
1st November 2006, 08:16 PM
a guy near where i live makes his own biodiesel, costs him less than 10c/litre to make.

It's a growing trend... :D

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/australian_biodiesel/

digifish

Clint
1st November 2006, 08:23 PM
it is a growing trend. he has been doing it for years and recently was in the newspaper about it because of how much he makes and using it for his car/drag racer/powering the house/tractor/farm machinery and how efficient it is and easy to make. so he then had a seminar on how to do it

dieselhead
4th November 2006, 11:14 PM
oh boy, i don't think i can wait much longer to get my hands on a diesel one... the best price i have found so far for a manual in silver is $26,990 + onroads, in Melbourne. any chance to get a better deal than this guys? should i wait another few months? please, don't say that i should, it hurts... :)

can't stop day dreamin': one of those beast remaped, with 380 Nm torque at 1,900 rpm on tap, why need more cylinders than 4? or petrol?

digifish
4th November 2006, 11:27 PM
oh boy, i don't think i can wait much longer to get my hands on a diesel one... the best price i have found so far for a manual in silver is $26,990 + onroads, in Melbourne. any chance to get a better deal than this guys? should i wait another few months? please, don't say that i should, it hurts... :)

can't stop day dreamin': one of those beast remaped, with 380 Nm torque at 1,900 rpm on tap, why need more cylinders than 4?

Looks like a very good deal to me.

I paid about $31250 drive-away (12 months rego, carpets, astra kick strips, number-plate frames, tank of diesel) for the CDTI manual.

digifish

dieselhead
5th December 2006, 09:42 PM
i have been offered a black cdti demo for $27,000 drive away, but i really want a silver Astra... as a deal that would have been fantastic, don't you think? oh well, i'll wait another few months, price has to get down a few $K anyway :)

i have a question: since the manual CDTi sits 25mm lower than the standard AH, do I need to lower it further if I go 18"?

digifish, are you thinking to remap that engine of yours? the price at powerchip seems too steep since is only a software mod, but i'm tempted to get those extra Nm...

EL BURITO
5th December 2006, 09:45 PM
no shouldnt do cos it has the same ride hight as SRI that has 18"s

dieselhead
5th December 2006, 09:47 PM
EL BURITO, that's so quick! and good news, too. i hate to mod suspension for some reason. i have a lacetti on 17" that looks like a small SUV because of that :)