PDA

View Full Version : supercharger

BJ31OS
21st October 2006, 06:37 PM
Hi Does anyone know where i could find a supercharger or a bolt on turbo for a vectra js 1998

any help would be much appreciated

RobotWarrior
21st October 2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah but it is gonna run you about $9400 for a supercharger plus shipping from the UK.
Have a look here http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/asps/Search.asp?type=Turbo+%2F+Supercharger+%2F+Nitrous +%2F+Water+Injection+%3E+Vectra+B&types=yes

BJ31OS
21st October 2006, 07:41 PM
cheers mate

RobotWarrior
21st October 2006, 07:48 PM
No worries

InsaneAsylum
22nd October 2006, 09:00 AM
regal and courtenay aren't worth it

if you're going to flash that sort of cash around you may as well get a custom turbo conversion done here. you'll get more power from a custom conversion than a kit from overseas. i think the dbilas turbo kit makes 145 flywheel kilowatts... 40kw over stock for 10 grand!!

when you weigh it up like that, you could put that into a stock turbo car. maybe add a few g's and get a 2nd hand TS astra turbo, then mod that.

you'll kick yourself when you have spent all this money on a car that still couldn't beat a brand new falcon or commodore in a straight line, and your 10K short.

i own a vectra too, a '99 JS. it's a great car but it's never going to be fast unless i win tattslotto in which case i would consider buying a newer, faster car anyway. i'd never get the money i spent back anyway so unless you can do a lot of work yourself, then i aint worth it.

i started a project a few years ago and gave up.... i did most things myself but when it came to welding things together I couldn't find anyone who'd help (even though i have mates who are welders) so i gave up.

blueraven
22nd October 2006, 12:25 PM
i completely agree, for 10k you could go custom all the way, and see a sh1tload more than 40kw and at least who ever does the work for you will know exactly what they are dealing with, and not just some 'kit'.

hell for 10k you could do any number of engine swaps, the vectra will fit any of the astra motors, you could grab a z20let, or a c20let and have that fit into it for less than 10k...or maybe even shove a v6 from a commo and convert to rear wheel drive for that kind of money...

xplosv57
22nd October 2006, 12:58 PM
If u really wanna spend $10G on a FWD car i always recommend a VTEC motor, the 2.2 from a Prelude would go very well in a Vectra and modifications are very cheap compared to parts for a euro motor, if it was me however, id buy another car!! Buy an Astra Turbo and chuck all the stereo gear in it!!!! I think a V6 RWD conversion would cost a hell of alot more than $10G but then again ive seen crazier stuff before!!

blueraven
22nd October 2006, 01:08 PM
if you really wanna stay fwd, you just cant go past an SR20 conversion..you can get a front cut with everything you would need for about 3k...

Wraith
22nd October 2006, 01:19 PM
I agree with Insaneasylum and Blueraven.

I looked and investigated at getting a supercharger or turbo set up for my V6 Calibra from O/S nearly 4 years ago and concluded that both the cost of the forced induction kit and shipping were simply not justified when considering the power increase and then what to do if you have significant problems with it, they the supplier are O/S, so your on your own.......

If you have a budget of 10k, definitely get it done locally, you'll get just as good if not better and you can always go back for problem fixing and further tuning - this is a very important aspect most people ignore or don't consider !

PaulyJ
22nd October 2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah forget the kits
If you're going to do that, get it done locally.

InsaneAsylum
22nd October 2006, 09:47 PM
if you really wanna stay fwd, you just cant go past an SR20 conversion..you can get a front cut with everything you would need for about 3k...

ZING!!! right on the money

FWD sr20det's were found in the bluebirds and they're worth bugger all at jap wreckers, yet they are still an sr20det, and we all know how readily available performance upgrades are, you've got pretty much everything including replacent ecu's available off the shelf, safc, powerfc, wolf3d plug in, e-manage take your pick! plus forged pistons, gaskets, bolt on turbo upgrades, clutch and flywheel upgrades, cams, plus a number of people who are know enough about building a tough one.

if i had disposable income this is the route i'd take (other than just buying an s15)

BJ31OS
22nd October 2006, 10:05 PM
if i was to do a conversion what would i be looking at price wise for a astra turbo engine

MAD-16V
22nd October 2006, 11:11 PM
I got quoted $9500 for an astra turbo engine from holden :)

Try to get a front cut from a reputable wrecker - this will save you heaps.

InsaneAsylum
22nd October 2006, 11:42 PM
I got quoted $9500 for an astra turbo engine from holden :)

Try to get a front cut from a reputable wrecker - this will save you heaps.

how many written off astra turbos are laying in wrecking yards?

i doubt there are many, if any at all. z20let's will always be like c20let's rare and expensive

blueraven
23rd October 2006, 12:36 AM
^^^ damn skippy.

(what he said)

PaulyJ
23rd October 2006, 12:38 AM
:stupid:

:whistle:

platypus
24th October 2006, 09:10 PM
how many written off astra turbos are laying in wrecking yards?

i doubt there are many, if any at all. z20let's will always be like c20let's rare and expensive

more than you think... cars get crashed and written off all the time - and we are talking about a car that sold fairly well - its not as if your looking for parts for a mescherschmidt

blueraven
24th October 2006, 09:33 PM
more than you think... cars get crashed and written off all the time - and we are talking about a car that sold fairly well - its not as if your looking for parts for a mescherschmidt

only 450 ish astra turbos were sold in australia, and i havent ever heard of/seen on that had been written off.

i think you would be better off looking for that messerschmidt :D

PaulyJ
24th October 2006, 10:29 PM
hmmmmm a messerschmidt engine in a vectra... that would fly :think:

Lt Ketch
24th October 2006, 11:45 PM
NOT!

http://info.detnews.com/joyrides/story/index.cfm?id=97

PaulyJ
24th October 2006, 11:49 PM
I was actually talking about the fighter plane from WWII...

Wraith
26th October 2006, 01:27 PM
The BF109 no doubt.............;)

And BR's correct (ie: for the Z20LET) around 450 hatches and 200 verts - not that many around at all !!

The Don
26th October 2006, 11:13 PM
If I could get a sr20det engineered, I'd probably VERY STRONGLY consider one. No offence to the turbo guys out there, but getting huge power isn't as easy or cheap as it is with that japanese whore of a motor :D

Also, would need to consider such things as how it would be mounted, any conflicts with gearbox, convert dbw to wire throttle (I'm sure this isn't allowed) and about a million other things.

lee866
28th October 2006, 05:08 AM
i've never heard of a sr20det conversion's. is it something that's been done b4

Lt Ketch
28th October 2006, 07:57 AM
Dont know of any but as Wraith said not really many Opel based turbo's around here, BUT we literally get 00's (if its not 000's now) of performance Japanese motors either in half cuts or out of the car and to be honest this would probably be the easiest and cheapest way to JS Vectra performance Turbo Nirvana! (or even Vtec Nirvana if you wanted to go N/A Honda). Plus we have so much off the shelf plug-n-play stuff for these engines as well you'd have to at least consider it!