PDA

View Full Version : SRi Turbo Demo

rjastra
20th October 2006, 01:19 PM
Hunter Holden Ryde has a demo for $29500 drive away...

Red AH SRI T
20th October 2006, 01:33 PM
Highly unlikely

Mr T
20th October 2006, 01:42 PM
Highly unlikely

Copy that...

$29,500...must be the same bloke that's selling VZ SS's for $39,990...!!!

or, it could be a TS...

InsaneAsylum
20th October 2006, 02:24 PM
it's only a demo... you can buy the full version for $40K+ :D

Shaun
20th October 2006, 03:38 PM
Very true. In todays Car guide seen it my self.

ultim8DTM5
20th October 2006, 04:12 PM
But it's a demo. And a Turbo.
Therefore, it has been THRASHED.

Shaun
20th October 2006, 04:16 PM

Not always. More then Likely just Hit the KM mark they let there Demos go at. But could be the case

BA55UP
20th October 2006, 05:08 PM
my car was a demo :) but it wasnt a turbo so i guess it still couldve been thrashed....

ultim8DTM5
20th October 2006, 05:39 PM
If you buy a car with anything more than 10kms on it, someone else has test driven it. Do you really think someone test drives a Turbo without revving it past 2500rpm?

You are having yourself on if you don't think it's been thrashed.

Red AH SRI T
20th October 2006, 05:50 PM
it must have been a mis-print in the paper, cause that price isn't possible in a million years!

JasonGilholme
20th October 2006, 06:03 PM
It must be seriously focked up.

Wattie
20th October 2006, 06:11 PM

most engines these days are bench run in, and are ready to go from the get go.

with all the computer stuff on the car, they could do no worse than most of the drivers on the road would do to it if they owned it.

sparks
20th October 2006, 06:17 PM
demo or not any car you buy may or may not of been thrashed not a real issue unless there doing hand brake turns dumping the clutch and so on...just reving the car a little wont hurt a bit as id say the person that will buy the car will be giving it a bit as we all do....

xplosv57
20th October 2006, 07:39 PM
Doesn't matter if its been thrashed or not, the car is covered by warranty so if anything goes wrong itll be fixed!! Also alot of car companies these days give out company cars for the 5000km running in period so theyre run in and then sold as demos!!

blueraven
20th October 2006, 08:13 PM
my mate Jules bought a brand new EVO 9...it now has 2300km on it... most of that is motorkhana's and track days, driver training etc :D he asked the dealer about running in period and the guy told him to forget about it, thrash from the word go, its almost BETTER for the engine!! (some else explained that to me once and it all made sense, but we were talking about motorbikes :) )

anyway i wouldnt worry about buying a demo, thrashed or not, i would be thrashing it anyway so what difference does that make lol :D:D

Shaun
20th October 2006, 08:41 PM
If you buy a car with anything more than 10kms on it, someone else has test driven it. Do you really think someone test drives a Turbo without revving it past 2500rpm?

Anything is Possible. Just depends on how flexable the dealership is. But full repayments in the small print is 38k.

I dont think its a miss print and too bad if it is. they have to Honor it now .

BA55UP
20th October 2006, 09:18 PM
i do agree with pete hehehe, who doesnt boosta turbo every once in awhile,now times that by the 100's of people who have driven the car hahahaha

Mr T
20th October 2006, 10:46 PM

I worked for a Holden Dealer for 2 years...I have never seen an imported car with less than 14 KM on it, most of them had around the 17-25 by the time they got to the dealership. Local built cars could have as low as 7KM.

Whats wrong with reving past 2500, there hasn't been a requirement for a 'run-in' period since that wonderful invention known as the alloy head...the heads are tighted properly in the factory nowadays.

Oh, and my car was a Demo.

ultim8DTM5
21st October 2006, 08:02 AM
My Barina had 6kms on it, but I digress...

Theres a great debate as to how you should drive a brand new car. Personally, I think less than 4000rpm is reasonable for about 1500kms but I believe that the oil that is in the vehicle from the factory is the most vital component. In many vehicles the oil fitted is a different viscosity to that recommended for daily driving. Why is that, if a run-in is not required?

One of the greatest heads in a modern car is on the S54. Why did BMW void warranty on those vehicles which had been redlined for slightly sunstained periods, if those vehicles had less than 5000kms on them? For the furore it created, I don't think the engineers at BMW AG would reject warrantly willy-nilly on a $140,000 vehicle unless there was a very good reason.

Remember, its not just the engine but the rest of the drivetrain as well. When you discover your clutch has only lasted 50,000kms do you really think Holden will come to the party? I doubt it, they'll point the figure at you.

Personally, if I'm going to buy a demo I'd want to buy it at used-car prices, not a few grand off retail, because that is what it is.

xplosv57
21st October 2006, 10:21 AM
One of the greatest heads in a modern car is on the S54. Why did BMW void warranty on those vehicles which had been redlined for slightly sunstained periods, if those vehicles had less than 5000kms on them? For the furore it created, I don't think the engineers at BMW AG would reject warrantly willy-nilly on a $140,000 vehicle unless there was a very good reason.

With these type of vehicles there is a strict running in process that has to take place, we have voided many BMW warranties because customers have not followed the process (and it shows up on the computer diagnostics) Sustained periods or not, the owners manual (for BMW) states the car must be driven in certain conditions for a certain distance before it can be driven hard!!

rjastra
21st October 2006, 11:09 AM
Personally, if I'm going to buy a demo I'd want to buy it at used-car prices, not a few grand off retail, because that is what it is.

A few grand? This AStra is more like $8K off!

Mr T
21st October 2006, 11:28 AM
My Barina had 6kms on it

Must have been reset.

Tech2 can reset the speedo back to 0KM providing that it hasn't yet reached 100KM.

R3N
21st October 2006, 01:35 PM
my mate Jules bought a brand new EVO 9...it now has 2300km on it... most of that is motorkhana's and track days, driver training etc :D he asked the dealer about running in period and the guy told him to forget about it, thrash from the word go, its almost BETTER for the engine!! (some else explained that to me once and it all made sense, but we were talking about motorbikes :) )

anyway i wouldnt worry about buying a demo, thrashed or not, i would be thrashing it anyway so what difference does that make lol :D:D

I had read about similar before, here's the link http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

ultim8DTM5
21st October 2006, 01:43 PM
A few grand? This AStra is more like $8K off!

I never said it wasn't a great price, I'm talking about generally. Too often people associate the term "demo" with "new car" and not "used car." I'd say because dealers often price them relative to the RRP and not to the private market. Demonstrator is a misnomer - it's a used vehicle.

With my own car, it probably was reset (knowing which dealer it came from!) however IMO anything with less than 20 kilometres on it is not a new car - it is used.

I'm not talking about testing and so forth - no manufacturer apart from the elite/microsale manufacturers roadtest whole vehicles anymore. There is absolutely no reason why a brand new vehicle should have more than 20 kilometres on it.

Everything, even if it is imported, is roll-on, roll-off. If a vehicle has to be transferred across Sydney to another dealership, put it on a truck.

I realise I'm being pedantic but I don't believe I'm being facetious. It's a basic facet of consumer law; if I'm buying a new car and you sell me a new car, I don't expect it to be used.

SSS_Hoon
21st October 2006, 03:06 PM
nothing wrong with a demo at all, it has been drivin hard and knows what to expect already before you get it hehehehe

SSS_Hoon

imay
21st October 2006, 04:21 PM
Someone is bound to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe some of the advantages here in SA of buying a "demonstrator" is:
You are the first registered owner. The dealer doesn't actually count as the first owner. Perhaps it could help with resale, who knows?
You also don't pay the dealer delivery ransom.
And you pay sales tax on the price you pay, not the recommended retail.

By my way of thinking if you can get a low km demonstrator, that has to be almost as good as new, as long as the dealer prices it attractively enough.

I bought new only because I didn't have the opportunity to buy a demo, and I took advantage of Holden's "you pay what we pay" promotion on new cars.

RudeOne
21st October 2006, 04:37 PM
my god have we forgoten that the price is damn sweeeet.......

thats only 5-8k more than a second hand turbo G.... with new car warranty! somebody buy this dam car!!! :)

i heard a story of dealership that kept putting demo's back to zero with a tech 2 over and over and over again.. he got caught and fked.up

EL BURITO
21st October 2006, 04:46 PM
Someone is bound to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe some of the advantages here in SA of buying a "demonstrator" is:
You are the first registered owner. The dealer doesn't actually count as the first owner. Perhaps it could help with resale, who knows?
You also don't pay the dealer delivery ransom.
And you pay sales tax on the price you pay, not the recommended retail.

Thats same in WA, but its a Demo, When i got mine i had 3 available for deilivery by the end of the week "ultra blue" witch i had ordered but changed to black and a red Demo, that had just over 1K on the clock and was identical spec but it was only a few hundred less, I know what i chose.

Mr T
21st October 2006, 06:36 PM
i heard a story of dealership that kept putting demo's back to zero with a tech 2 over and over and over again.. he got caught and fked.up

I used to work for a dealer that done this...

pred8r
21st October 2006, 07:22 PM
Whats wrong with reving past 2500, there hasn't been a requirement for a 'run-in' period since that wonderful invention known as the alloy head...the heads are tighted properly in the factory nowadays.

The van has the no >2500rpm for 6000kms in the book (Which incidently passed last week, and its only 4 weeks old)

xplosv57
21st October 2006, 07:26 PM
At BMW, we are allowed a max of 50km on a new car, otherwise it cannot be sold and has to be returned to the factory! This 50km covers freight, pre delivery road test and general movement around loading yards and the dealership! On average they have 25km on it, however some higher models require more road testing and have around 40km, there are alot of things that need to be checked before a car is given to a customer just in case something goes wrong!!