PDA

View Full Version : where to get 8000k lights?

i3omberman
17th October 2006, 04:15 PM
I have a MY2005 astra classic equipe. I am looking at getting 8000k lights installed. Where and how much should i pay for just the front lights? Im in sydney.

EL BURITO
17th October 2006, 04:50 PM
Pm DUSTDUG he got some and lives in Sydney

1OPL2C
17th October 2006, 05:20 PM
you can get some good 1's off ebay.. about $200 and they r piss easy to install. and they come with instructions aswell

platypus
17th October 2006, 09:25 PM
concur ebay is great -
but have to ask - why 8000k? they will be purple and not much chop in wet weather... (yeah i realise how much of that we've had)

dustbug
17th October 2006, 10:24 PM
The 8000k are a cool blue

When you get to 10,000 - 12,000 they start going purple.

7,000 are bright white, anything below is just yellow.

Yes you can get them off e-bay probs your best bet.

I got mine from SRSAUTO www.srsauto.com they are located in the CBD. You'd be looking around $350-$400 for ones made in china. Korea made are around the $700 and Japan are $1,000. They also do installs for $100 but don't. I thought i'd get them professionaly done, but they are just dodgy installers, they cut one of my rubber seals on my left headlight too big and when i take it to the car wash, it mists up. Not good.

Otherwise you can go to AutoJoy in Parramatta. Prices are a tad more expensive i beleive. I also think they do dodgy installs at the back too. Best to either install them yourself or take it to a liencsed auto electrican.

Any probs let me know.

Oooo and get a set of projector, thats another mistake i made. If you have an AH good luck finding a set for under $1,000 delivered to Australia.

Apex
18th October 2006, 09:59 AM
I have looked at installing these in my Astra too, my old Toyota Altezza had them, and my fiancés Toyota I.S.T has them. They are awesome.

Are these aftermarket kits any good, do they dazzle oncoming traffic any more than a standard HID would? Do they melt the standard housings as im told they do? What are the brands to go for? how long do they last?:confused:

Any advise/help appreciated.:D

sammykkwok
18th October 2006, 11:24 AM
DON'T INSTALL HID kit on the Astra TS. There is no glare shield in the headlights. You basically running your car pretty much like you got HID highbeam on whenever you turn the lights on.

Notice the halogen H7 light has a greyed out tips. 8000K HID kit don't have a painted tip and will just dazzle everyone on the road. Think twice before you install them.

Sammy

Wraith
18th October 2006, 11:25 AM
I've got 8000k Xenon HID's on 2 of my cars - Astra G and Calibra.
On my Astra I've installed different headlight assemblies with projectors, as someone's mentioned above, HID's will not work properly in the standard Astra G headlights.

They 'DO NOT' produce a purple light or anything like that, these are cheap imitations or something else.

All good brand Xenon HID's have 'CLEAR GLASS' bulbs - stay away from colour coated bulbs, these are the ones that give off deep colours that both look crap and do nothing to improve night driving vision, in fact in wet weather they provide terrible visibility.

'Clear lensed' 8000k Xenon HID's will give off a distinctive blueish glow, but light up the road better than any halogen globe, (that's the whole idea to using them).

'Clear lensed' 6000k Xenon HID's will give off only a faint blueish glow and 4000-4500k Xenon HID's will give off a bright white glow with hardly any blueish glow visible - this is usually what car manufacturers use as the OEM spec.

These days a good quality kit will cost $300-$450.

Lifetime is greater than most halogen bulbs - if installed properly !

Installtion is straight forward as most kits come with instructions, my intallations were about 4hrs. on the Calibra and 1.5hrs on the Astra.

Just make sure to secure the coil packs away from direct engine heat and make sure you have a definite water tight seal the the bulb itself.

Running temp from my understanding is less than a halogen globe as they typically run on 35W intead of 55W and high performance hologens run up to 110W - these will cause heat/melting problems and power feed wire melt down.

As for dazzling other drivers, just make sure to angle your headlight assemblies down a little and it won't be a problem, I've had them for over 1 1/2 years and encounted many cop cars head on at night with no problems.

For an Astra H you may be able to get yourself the proper headlight assemblies which have the auto tilt function and peace of mind is assured.

i3omberman
18th October 2006, 11:33 AM
DON'T INSTALL HID kit on the Astra TS. There is no glare shield in the headlights. You basically running your car pretty much like you got HID highbeam on whenever you turn the lights on.

Notice the halogen H7 light has a greyed out tips. 8000K HID kit will just dazzle everyone on the road. So dont.

Sammy

oh okay.. so i should just buy 8000k globes but not get an HID? I thought if you want new bulbs, u need to change the circuitry or something? Or am i incorrect?

Wraith
18th October 2006, 12:42 PM
If you install 'genuine' Xenon HID's, you will have some 'wiring up' to do, but as mentioned above you would need to change the entire headlight assemblies as they won't work correctly with the standard headlights.

8000k 'immitation' Xenon's are IMHO crap.........they give off deep colours which do nothing to improve lighting at night, all they are is standard or higher wattage halogens with coloured glass enclosures !

Your better off just getting standard replacement H7 halogens or 'bright white' versions like Narva or similar and then just plug em straight in :)

sammykkwok
18th October 2006, 04:11 PM
oh okay.. so i should just buy 8000k globes but not get an HID? I thought if you want new bulbs, u need to change the circuitry or something? Or am i incorrect?

There is no such product as 8000K halogen. It really depends on what you want to achieve. If you want true HID.. get a projector headlight enclosure with a decent 8000K HID kit. If you just want "HID look" light, buy a pair of decent japanese brand blue looking halogen bulbs or something similar.

There should be no need to change the circuit of the headlight harness. It is problematic with the Astra H because of the failure warning system, but with the Astra G, its just a direct plug and play system. If you want some safety of not frying your harness.. go to an autoelectrician to setup a new harness so you source your power directly from the battery and by pass your factory harness.

platypus
18th October 2006, 08:10 PM
smeh mine had a glare cut on them works fine, but mine are behind fresnels so not overly needed on them.... high beam from halogen, wired to run with hid so all passes lighting requirements... never use high beams as the HID lights are so much better!

yes i realise that this really should be done with projecters etc etc,

btw i might ask in cars with H1s they have no glare cut or H2s for that mattter