PDA

View Full Version : BFYB Competition

Wraith
12th October 2006, 09:07 AM
Caught up with Motor Mags annual Bang For Your Bucks competition yesterday - anyone else check it out ?

Had a very quick read - well done Holdens new VE SS 1st place..........

13.4 sec straight off the showroom floor for a Holden 'family hack' sedan - VERY IMPRESSIVE !!!

I was surprised to see the new AH sri-t not score well, I believe it would have been a different story if the VXR was in there.

I was surprised even more to see how badly the new VW R32 scored - not well at all...

Lan Evo - top of it's class - was there ever any doubt ??

So Holden's billion dollar baby continues to impress !

SSS_Hoon
12th October 2006, 10:54 AM
bcoz holden payed the most hehehehe

SSS_Hoon

sri05
12th October 2006, 11:00 AM
Did you notice that MOTOR are now only evaluating racetrack performance without real road impressions.

This is fine if they have done road tests in previous issues and want to compare outright performance for contenders not previously matched up.

Many cars might shine on smooth racetracks but are not that great on public roads with their imperfections and stop start driving.

I don't accept the view that readers are more commonly keeping their performance car garaged during the week and only using them for track days and club events. And even if they did, I doubt they would have stock suspension/brakes/tyres evaluated here.

I mean, who would keep a Misubishi Colt as a weekend weapon. What would their daily driver be? A Datsun 120Y?

Apex
12th October 2006, 02:19 PM
I purchased Motor Magazine for the first time in years a few weeks ago (because it featured shots of the Astra Sri) and found it to be the same narrow minded crap publication it was 5 years ago.

I was surprised to see the new AH sri-t not score well, I believe it would have been a different story if the VXR was in there.

How Much does a VXR cost and how fast does it hit 100???? thats Motors
scientific way of evaluating most vehicles in the BFYB

I was surprised even more to see how badly the new VW R32 scored - not well at all...

More expensive than an Evo 9 and not half as good on the straights or in the bends, It’s bang for your bucks. Id take a Golf GTI over a R32 any day, and pocket 20 grand to boot!;)

blueraven
12th October 2006, 02:40 PM
i'm not suprised to see the new astra not perform that well in the test..

same engine as the ts...which is now an old engine, its heavier than the ts and doesnt handle as well apparently, so its not shocking that in the last few years the "base" astra turbo hasnt improved much...thus it certainly wouldnt go as well in a bang for your buck competition in a feild of newer cars. the VXR would have certainly performed alot better, but it wasnt available and the price would have kicked it down a notch too...

rjastra
12th October 2006, 04:54 PM
was surprised to see the new AH sri-t not score well, I believe it would have been a different story if the VXR was in there

You reckon?? it would have been turfed into the 40K+ bracket. The very same reason the Golf GTi DSG rated badly this year and well last year (<$40K manual model).

Blue_Dvl
12th October 2006, 05:23 PM
yeah the DSG volkaswagens dont rate too well i think because of the high price for the DSG transmission, which is escentially an AUDI box.

I also purchased the issue where they compared teh small cars.... Holden Astra SRi Turbo, Renault Megane F1 edition, MPS3 Mazda and the Volkswagen Golf GTi.

They ruled out the astra in the 1st paragraph saying it was rubbish, and went on to only speak about the MPS and the Golf GTi for the rest of the article....... waste of $8.95 cause i couldnt give a toss about the VE.

Couldnt agree more, BFYB only goes on track performance and price. Maybe back in the days of 351 fords and 350chevs people kept them for weekends but nowdays people want their nice performance vehicle for daily use.......

Apex
13th October 2006, 05:49 AM
I also purchased the issue where they compared teh small cars.... Holden Astra SRi Turbo, Renault Megane F1 edition, MPS3 Mazda and the Volkswagen Golf GTi.

They ruled out the astra in the 1st paragraph saying it was rubbish, and went on to only speak about the MPS and the Golf GTi for the rest of the article....... waste of $8.95 cause i couldnt give a toss about the VE.

Yea that’s the issue I purchased, for that article, only to read them bag the Astra and go on and on about the Golf and the SP23. I would take the Renault Megane F1, that’s a real hot hatch!

As for the BFYB I find it completely irrelevant as NZ car prices are completely different that Australia’s, consider that there is only $4,600 between the Astra and the Golf in Australia, and wares the gap is close $10,000 over here, the price gap extends to around $15,000 between the Renault and Astra WTF?

The Astra Sri would have taken out BFYB-NZ easily.:p

Ps: don’t be hate’n the H Sri blueraven it’s a great car,

xplosv57
13th October 2006, 07:26 PM
Hmmmm not sure what you guys are complaining about because the whole point of Bang For Your Buck is to see which car is the fastest for the least amount of money! For that reason the Astra wouldn't fare well b/c its not that quick and is not that cheap!! When it comes to Car Of The Year time, thats where they test out how the car is on the road for everyday people like u and me but for BFYB its the quickest car down the 1/4 and the most cost effective too!!

pred8r
13th October 2006, 09:32 PM
Was the polo diesel in it?