PDA

View Full Version : Quiet wirring lingers on?

Jerry Crockford
11th October 2006, 07:43 PM
I noticed the other night that there is a quiet wirring (Or is that whirring?) sound under the dash when I turn the ignition off ACC.

It goes for about 30 seconds.

It isn't the cooling fan.

Duz anyone know what it is? It isn't important. I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

nicecar
12th October 2006, 12:07 AM
Hi Jerry,

I think the sound is the hydraulics compressor running ready for the roof to be raised/lowered.

Matt

Wraith
12th October 2006, 09:34 AM
I've heard the same noise in mine.

I've just always ignored it thinking it was common to all TS Astra's not just the convertible ??

It dosn't sound like something wrong either, more like a mechanical operation that the car seems to have to do - whatever it is ??

Matt, don't know if it's roof hydraulics as these are located in the rear right quarter panel, not under the dash, where this sound seems to be coming from, but then again I don't know for sure, I did have all the interior pulled apart for my ICE install, didn't notice ant hydraulics gear in under the dash area ??

Jerry Crockford
12th October 2006, 09:52 AM
Naaah.... I doubt it is hydraulics. It is WAY to soft and quiet for that. It makes even less noise than a mirror motor. I don't think is a 'convertible' thing at all. It's sumpin else. :confused:

I'm suggesting :rolleyes: that ALL OpelAus members:
• Drive to a quiet spot.
• Get out of their cars,
• Turn around,
• Dive back in HEAD first.
• Get under the dash and
• Listen carefully when they turn the ignition off.

That way, we can see if ALL Astras make the sound.

And who knows, we might even get to know what it is! :D

Cheers,

jerry

stevedee3
12th October 2006, 01:42 PM
My Vectra makes a noise like your description for about five seconds, and it's definitely not a convertible.

blueraven
12th October 2006, 02:44 PM
Its your ecu :D

bet you $5

(note: may not be australian currency)

Jerry Crockford
12th October 2006, 06:38 PM
ECU?

Do you mean the ECU itself?

Or :rolleyes: ...

Is there a cooling fan for it that goes for a few seconds after you turn off the ignition?

That'd explain it. It sounds like it could be a little ;) fanny.

Cheers,

jerry

Miss Baby Zilla
13th October 2006, 08:01 PM
Its your ecu :D

bet you $5

(note: may not be australian currency)

I accept your bet and raise you a fuel pump.

MatsHolden
13th October 2006, 08:08 PM
With the noise coming from around the dash area, wouldn't be fuel pump.

Miss Baby Zilla
13th October 2006, 08:11 PM
Didnt read that bit!!

auzvectra
14th October 2006, 12:23 AM
i've heard the same (i think) noise, n followed it to down near the elec-hydrualic p/steer pump, i have read on an official write up on the astra turbo's that they have some sort of water pump that runs after u turn it off to pump the heat away from the motor, not sure if thats it, but makes sense.
i couldnt find it, but it seemed to be coming from above the gearbox, which is where some coolant lines are, so it might be. not under the dash, but could sound that way, as i heard it inside the car, n tracked it to the engine bay.

Jerry Crockford
14th October 2006, 08:21 AM
Hmmmm....

Mine isn't a turbo, so it isn't that cooly-pumpy thing you mentined.

HOWEVR, I will now go (Well, after I mow the lawn. You know how it is: "A happy wife means a happy life" :o ) and have anudder listen to make SURE it is under the dash and not from the engine bay.

auzvectra
14th October 2006, 02:47 PM
oh, thought urs was turbo :).
might be like that on the stockies also.

astra03
16th October 2006, 06:15 PM
My stock standard 1.8 TS has done the same since brand new every time you switch it off, a like fan noise for a few seconds. I know it isnt the electric fan cos i have checked that out. Never worried me, but has me curious now!!

auzvectra
16th October 2006, 08:12 PM
try looking above the gbox, it sounds like it's coming from there to me.