PDA

View Full Version : Pimp up my SRi T (G) please?

opal
7th October 2006, 06:34 PM
hi guys.
had my sri for 18 months in Melbourne (2nd hand) and looking to spice it up...
No mods currently so the canvas is clean - how can i make it a masterpiece?

blueraven
7th October 2006, 07:14 PM
refer sig pic :D

opal
7th October 2006, 07:30 PM
what do you mean?

mr corsa
7th October 2006, 08:10 PM
hi guys.
had my sri for 18 months in Melbourne (2nd hand) and looking to spice it up...
No mods currently so the canvas is clean - how can i make it a masterpiece?

neons -airbrushing-removal of rear seat for sound system-and tvs all round - and a half naked promo chic with a fat ass sitting on your bonnet:eek: cant get any more pimp that and forgot get sum fake ass bling bling rims too and sum more bling bling to go around your neck so u look like a pimp

dustbug
7th October 2006, 10:18 PM
neons -airbrushing-removal of rear seat for sound system-and tvs all round - and a half naked promo chic with a fat ass sitting on your bonnet:eek: cant get any more pimp that and forgot get sum fake ass bling bling rims too and sum more bling bling to go around your neck so u look like a pimp

Sounds like a good plan. I think i like the "half naked promo chick" the best. Thats no.1 on the list.

MatsHolden
7th October 2006, 10:24 PM
Give him some serious suggestions guys. :)

lowey22
7th October 2006, 11:27 PM
you looking just at mods for looks or performance as well?

and do you want it "pimped" or just a nice looking ride? I would get some nice 18s (not chrome, shadow chrome possibly), lower it a little, debadge it, get a new front grill of some sort. that's a start...

what colour is it?

MK
8th October 2006, 08:26 AM
hi and welcome to OpelAus.com, congratulations on your purchase. Astra G SRi Turbo are a fantastic cars...

1. if you are looking for a performance upgrade to your car, this depends on many factors; how much you are willing to spend, then its where will you be using those upgrades (racing track or daily driving like a law obiding citizen?)

once you have this answered you will definiately take the right direction and enjoy your car...so here, our members like Turblue, Mr.T and other Astra G turbo owners will be able to direct you and share their views as to what is the best and safest way to go about...

2. if you would are looking to change the look of your Astra? That's pretty much the same as above but the most important is your taste and no body elses.

in this department you are the most qualified to suggest to yourself what you want, but input from our members will also be helpful.

our resident members such like Dustbug, R3N, Bassup (your cars look great guys!) and others will give you suggestions, tips and where to purchase.

good luck and enjoy your Opel...

opal
8th October 2006, 09:57 AM
you looking just at mods for looks or performance as well?

and do you want it "pimped" or just a nice looking ride? I would get some nice 18s (not chrome, shadow chrome possibly), lower it a little, debadge it, get a new front grill of some sort. that's a start...

what colour is it?

the colour is silver

OK great. i mainly want performance upgrades and i have gathered from other threads that this should start with turblue's ecu flash.
i found these:
BRAND NEW GENUINE EIBACH SPRINGS FROM EUROPE, SET OF 4. NEVER USED, WILL FIT ASTRA SEDAN AND HATCH VERSIONS. RETAIL PRICE $450 A SET.
lower a standard car by 35mm.
has anyone used this brand and will they be compatable with SRi?

Presentation is still important so i was thinking of changing the front and rear lights, and a nice purr from the exhaust would be sweet mate

opal
8th October 2006, 10:00 AM
yeah i plan to keep it street legal. for cosmetics - i have an idea what i want and just need to know the easiest way of getting hold of the gear

Wraith
8th October 2006, 11:20 AM
Yes I've used Eibach's as have many others here - to answer your question, yes I most definitely recommend them, you won't be dissappointed ! they are worth every cent !

Match em up with a nice set of 19's (this size is legal - 2 up from stock 17's) and it'll look much better than 18's and be more unique, as most people settle for 17's or 18's.

With the above you are well and truly on your way to achieving your goal.

Next step ecu reflash (you already know all about that one) and see how you feel after that.

Up to you (in terms of budget and effort) if you want to take it to the next
level !

Happy motoring......

opal
8th October 2006, 11:34 AM
thanx. is there a set width for the 19's ?

opal
8th October 2006, 11:47 AM
how do i know if say: commodore / senator 19' are compatable?

blueraven
8th October 2006, 12:17 PM
no they arent, we have a rare size for our wheels. yuou need:

5x110 PCD , +45 offset, max width rim 7.5", and you will struggle to find tyres for anything bigger than 18". (at least tyres that arent $600+ )

Wraith
8th October 2006, 12:27 PM
Oh yes, the good old offset question......

Holden Commo rims are NOT compatible, they have the wrong PCD (bolt holes) 5x120 instead of 5x110 - too far out to be re-drilled and the wrong offsets - usually under 35 instead of at least 43 and over with 49 being the optimum.

With 19's, choose a rim with a width of no more than 7.5" - that's it !

Any wider you'll have clearance issues and scrubbing, remember you will be lowering 30-40mm as well.

There are a few nice looking 19x7.5" rims out there with offsets (ET) from 42-45mm and in PCD of 5x114.3 or 5x112 which can be successfully re-drilled to the required 5x110.

Some of these come with centre covering caps, so re-drilling is no issue at all !

Oh and the appropriate tyres are not hard to find for 19's (for 20's yes, that's another story) I don't think BR's looked hard enough LOL and good quality tyres will cost you upwards of $600 even for a set to suit 18's, in fact you can get 17" tyres that cost over $300 each, it all depends on what you want.

You will be able to score a complete set of wheels, ie:set of 19x7.5" rims with good correct load rated tyres for around $2100-2700 depending on brand chosen and who you buy from !

Check out the Advanti range - 'Manic' is one rim that comes to mind with above specs, only prob is it's only available in chrome, but you may like chrome......

Also Koya have a couple of rims fitting that size.

If your a wheels freak like me, you'll have no probs coffing out ridiculous amounts of money and getting custom wheels made up - but at around 6k and up for a set, I'll understand if you drop that idea.

Cheers, let us know how you go.

R3N
8th October 2006, 01:05 PM
There are a few nice looking 19x7.5" rims out there with offsets (ET) from 42-45mm and in PCD of 5x114.3 or 5x112 which can be successfully re-drilled to the required 5x110.

Some of these come with centre covering caps, so re-drilling is no issue at all !

I thought you could only get PCDs redrilled into larger ones, ie. 5x100 redrilled into 5x110.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. And is redrilling legal?

pred8r
8th October 2006, 01:28 PM
no they arent, we have a rare size for our wheels. yuou need:

5x110 PCD , +45 offset, max width rim 7.5", and you will struggle to find tyres for anything bigger than 18". (at least tyres that arent $600+ )

HAHAH rare....CRAP:p.

try and find 5x118 :(

blueraven
8th October 2006, 01:40 PM
if you dont think its rare, start looking through catalogs i think out of about 8 catalogs i only found a handful that were "off the shelf" that would fit...

5x118? what the hell is that on? yeah that sounds alot worse :D

afaik redrilling is totally legal, alot of wheels these days are made as blanks and drilled to suit the order, so i dont see any difference?

and ange, i'd like to see a tyre that has the correct rolling diameter and load rating in a 19"... 215/30/19? i tried 3 shops and only one said they knew of one with the right load rating and that he would have to order them in for about $750 a tyre....the tyres i bought on friday for my 18's cost $280 each and performed really well on the track..better than the stock dunlops anyway at twice the price....

pred8r
8th October 2006, 03:13 PM

Opel Vivaro/Renault Trafic (van on left side of sig) AFAIK irmscher are the only correct load rated alloy wheel available off the shelf in aftermarket.

R3N
8th October 2006, 04:08 PM
lol pred your sig is awesome

pred8r
8th October 2006, 08:49 PM
lol pred your sig is awesome

I stuffed the size(and perspective) of the van, Its almost big enough to put the whole barina in the back of.

colour is correct though :p

Kudo's go to you for the original recolour though.

Now all i need is the 300C SRT8, CLK430 convertible or E55 for the middle

EDIT: redited van for better perspective, close enough, still a little small though, oh well

opal
8th October 2006, 10:11 PM
thanx guys, this is gold.

PaulyJ
8th October 2006, 11:56 PM
Mate, what is it that you want your car to do? ie. performance, looks, etc.
ECU flash do after you do mods like exhaust, CAI (Cold-air intake) and FMIC (Frontmount intercooler).
Enternal like springs and wheels, its all up to you, and what your tastes are. With lowering your car, do you want to do it just for looks, or performance handling aswell? These come into consideration when choosing springs/shocks.

Good luck, and let us know how you go. Join the VIC forums aswell and we'll help you finding what you want.
http://vic.opelaus.com/forum

Wraith
9th October 2006, 12:48 PM
I thought you could only get PCDs redrilled into larger ones, ie. 5x100 redrilled into 5x110.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. And is redrilling legal?

You can re-drill either way, ie: from eg: 5x114.3 to 5x110 or from eg: 5x108 to 5x110.

You can also get away with using 'offset lugs' or 'wobble bolts' as they are reffered to by rim manufacturers with PCD's of 5x112 or 5x108 to 5x110, as the difference is only 1mm to bolt centrelines. (ie: the O/A difference devided by 2).

The governing factor is how much away you are, normally you don't want to exceed 2-3mm or it will become obvious on 'exposed hole' rims.

I've had numerous sets of 5x114.3 rims from different manufacturers re-drilled to 5x110 and had no problems and only left a little scar in the original holes, that's only noticeable if you stick your face right next to the rim.

Yes it is illegal to do, just like about any modification you do to your car that it wasn't originally born with, but as you all know 5x110 is a PCD to which not many types of rims are available, so this is the only way to get around it.

It's up to the individual to make a decision to do it or not.

Adopting a set of rims with caps in the centre hides it a little better, or you may be able to acquire a set of 'blanks' as I have for one of my sets of rims and get them drilled to the correct PCD.

Wraith
9th October 2006, 01:03 PM
if you dont think its rare, start looking through catalogs i think out of about 8 catalogs i only found a handful that were "off the shelf" that would fit...

afaik redrilling is totally legal, alot of wheels these days are made as blanks and drilled to suit the order, so i dont see any difference?

and ange, i'd like to see a tyre that has the correct rolling diameter and load rating in a 19"... 215/30/19? i tried 3 shops and only one said they knew of one with the right load rating and that he would have to order them in for about $750 a tyre....the tyres i bought on friday for my 18's cost $280 each and performed really well on the track..better than the stock dunlops anyway at twice the price....

Hi BR, when you go up in wheel size, the O/A diameter is always going to increase, so it is impossible to achieve the same O/A diameter as stock, in the case of 19's your better off adopting a tyre of 35 series and getting the required load rating and then adjusting your speedo if need be.

In my case I have 20's which are a total of 39.2mm bigger in O/A diameter compared to the stock 17's and the speedo is less than 4km/h out at 100km/h, this will be less with a set of 19's fitted with say 225/35 tyres and 35 series tyres for 19's are more common, but if you try and stick to 215 or 225/30 series, as you said, you won't find any that are above 85 load rating.

As for re-drilling, I do believe as I've mentioned in my other post, it is illegal, but getting blanks drilled is perfectly ok as they are not actually being 're-drilled', but will become the original '1st' holes.

But as far as safety and structural integrity of the rims is concerned, it's fine as new steel inserts are installed in the re-drilled holes.

blueraven
9th October 2006, 01:19 PM
my wheel size went up but my speedo is only .6% out due to buying the correct profile tyres....

an increase of 39.2mm over stock is a 6.9% increase in rolling diameter.

check it out here...

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

check your % speedo out there. if your running 20's, to get even close to a correct reading, you will have to get 215/30's on 20's....and that will be 6% out.

Wraith
9th October 2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for that BR, I've got a wheel bible diff to that one that I use as my knowledge base.

It states to try and not exceed 2% greater or smaller on O/A wheel diameter to retain the integrity of your speedo.

But as I've found out from numerous, nah dozens of wheels changes, it takes alot more to affect your speedo than that amount.

And if necessary you can easily do something about it anyway - re-calibrate your speedo !

So for an Astra G, stepping up to as big as 19's should not be a prob with finding correct load rated tyres - as mentioned adopt 225/35 series.

Going to 20's as I've done - that's a prob LOL, one that is solved only by using 235/30R20's but guard panel beating as well as inner guard surgery is required.

auzvectra
9th October 2006, 08:37 PM
hey hands off, those coils are mine :P.
so who will win the bidding war :D