PDA

View Full Version : Astra CDTI sales? how is it ? any news?

Cheetahs
7th October 2006, 05:33 PM
how popular of astra CDTI ? see any around?

Turblue
7th October 2006, 06:14 PM
Damm diesels....

Scared the crap outa me. Surprised the daylights out of me off the line.

I would love to know the answer to this question. Thinking about a change.

Andrew888
7th October 2006, 08:23 PM
From what ive been hearing from wrexed03 the CDTI's are proving popular down under. Lets hope they dont follow the Europeans and add a DPF ( Diesel Particle filter) as Vauxhall are having quite a few problems in the UK with this system ;)

Andrew

dustbug
7th October 2006, 10:17 PM
i've seen 1 on the road. Quiet expensive though. Around the $29,500 mark i beleive. If they dropped it to around $25 i reakon it would be a much bigger seller. And with 110kw im sure its a lot faster than the 1.8 petrol.

EL BURITO
8th October 2006, 04:35 AM
I have seen stacks, the moment my local Holden seems to get a few in there gone the next time i drive past. seen a few on the roads as well.

Still needs to be available in a 3 door (I can only hope)

pred8r
8th October 2006, 08:53 AM
Is the diesel available as a wagon? (in Oz)

bornwild
9th October 2006, 07:54 PM
From what ive been hearing from wrexed03 the CDTI's are proving popular down under. Lets hope they dont follow the Europeans and add a DPF ( Diesel Particle filter) as Vauxhall are having quite a few problems in the UK with this system ;)

Andrew

Sorry for going off topic, but what model are those rims on your GTC Andrew?

Cheers mate

Andrew888
4th March 2007, 08:43 AM
Sorry for going off topic, but what model are those rims on your GTC Andrew?

Cheers mate

Theyre a Triple 8 wheel manufactured by Team Dynamics

Alix
4th March 2007, 08:57 AM
how popular of astra CDTI ?

Around 10% of Astra sales, apparently:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=36526&vf=7

see any around?

Yep, every time I look in my driveway. :D

digifish
4th March 2007, 01:58 PM
how popular of astra CDTI ? see any around?

As above, every time I drive my car :)

However, why do you care how many they are selling? Test drive one and see if you like it. The manual has monster torque and does 0-100 in about 8 seconds.

The untold story is the mid-to-top-range acceleration. I'd like to see a rolling drag between a CDTi, SRI and VRX

digifish

digifish
4th March 2007, 02:04 PM
Lets hope they dont follow the Europeans and add a DPF ( Diesel Particle filter) as Vauxhall are having quite a few problems in the UK with this system ;)

Andrew

The auto has the DPF the manual doesn't. What sort of problems?

If they offered the manuals engine (4 valve vs 2 for the auto) in an Auto model I am sure we would see even more sold.

The manual diesel Astra is a joy to drive, particularly when it gets hilly :D

digifish

Andrew888
4th March 2007, 09:04 PM
I'd like to see a rolling drag between a CDTi, SRI and VRX

digifish

Astra 888 1.9CDTI v's Petrol VXR Video :)

I have just sold my Triple 8 as the cars with the Green system are producing more power then the Triple 8 with re-map :eek::eek::eek:

CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo987X-Au48)

Oh, and the re-mapped T8 smokes a lot more than the GREEN/CRD2 systems too :p

poita
4th March 2007, 09:12 PM
wow thats impressive

Andrew888
4th March 2007, 09:19 PM
wow thats impressive

Im Not sure if Peter is a member of opelaus.com but he recently sent us this email

CRD2 On Astra 1.9 CDTI
From Peter Loone - Australia - 22nd Feb 07

A track day with some mates, one in a Boster S and one in a WRX STI.

After about 35 laps (ie lunchtime) they were both down to less than 1/2 a tank and had to go back into town to refill.

At the end of the afternoon session, they were down to less than a quarter of a tank again and had to go back into town to fill up before driving home.

I drove home, without any refills, and still had almost 1/2 a tank left.

So I hear you suggest that their lap times were probably worth the extra fuel

Let's just say that they were as surprised as I was:

WRX STI 1min 15sec
Boxter S 1min 16 sec
Astra CDTI with CRD2: 1min 18sec

After declaring that next time I was turning off traction control, putting on low profile tyres, and putting in heavy duty clutch fluid, both may friends were looking worried.

I can't bear to take the box down a notch for normal driving, but my wife is getting a bit ****ed off with the torque steer when she has to drive it on long trips, so I may have to submit. The reason she takes it on long trips instead of the Volvo S40 T4, is that it uses 1/2 the fuel on the highway.

I never realised being eco-friendly could be so much fun.

dieselhead
4th March 2007, 09:46 PM
well, we'll see how good the green thingie is. mine should be on it's way to Adelaide by now.

in regards to Holden Astra CDTi sales, there's something i find puzzling. why would you sell a car that has sport and lowered supension, upgraded brakes and a cracker of an engine as a fuel saver only? economy is the only thing they talk about in the ads. this is not your miserable scarce fuel user like a 1.4L petrol or something! you can really have the cake and eat it with a high performance diesel car.
another thing is, for aussies diesel is something slow and noisy, like the old Toyota Landcruisers. my mates are simply blown away when they see how this little monster pulls uphill. see, i'm doing my share to change such a wrong perception.

on the other hand, i like diesel Astras being rare. the look on those bogan faces driving V6s when i take off at the lights, is indeed priceless. hope the green system will allow me to take on older V8s, too. :)

my advice is: don't think of buying a CDTi only to save on fuel. that's silly, do the mats and find you're much better off in a Yaris or something like that. i would rather compare it with the Astra 2.0 Turbo by the way it pulls in 3rd, 4th and 5th at just 2,000 rpm (flame me now, i'm ready!). anyway, take one for a test drive and see if you have fun behind the wheel. at the end of the day that's the only thing that matters if you're an enthusiast.

digifish
4th March 2007, 10:05 PM
my advice is don't think of buying a CDTi only to save on fuel. that's silly

Indeed, I bought mine because I wanted something fun to drive. I wasn't even thinking about fuel consumption. The car won on pure driving experience.

digifish

Andrew888
4th March 2007, 10:15 PM
well, we'll see how good the green thingie is. mine should be on it's way to Adelaide by now.

Sure is :D if you cant get a hold of Joe, u can always give me a shout :)

Andrew

For the record, ive seen a Green powered CDTI 5 Door up against a VXR recently, and once they got moving there was nothing between them :clap::dance:

Diesel is the future :cool:

mintaka
6th March 2007, 02:42 PM
Just wanted to add my voice to digifish and dieselheads. The performance of the CDTi was what I wanted, all that torque down low were it can be used, rather than way up the rev range were you have to rev the tits off it.

And in outside the cities (where I live) it means you can potter around in sixth gear and keep up with traffic if your feeling mellow, or knock it down to 4 and put the wind up all the local falcadores.

Mintaka

nadg63
6th March 2007, 05:01 PM
Astra 888 1.9CDTI v's Petrol VXR Video :)

Oh, and the re-mapped T8 smokes a lot more than the GREEN/CRD2 systems too :p

Yeah, just watched the video and my first impression was how much smog the diesel blew out the back!

dieselhead
6th March 2007, 06:36 PM
well, you know what they say, there's no smoke without fire. :)
seriously now, that's all you can say after watching that video?! how about the fact the much cheaper diesel is running so close to the mighty VXR?
don't really get it when people say that, you know, diesels are good but they make all that smoke... so? i don't care cause i'm looking forward when i take off :)

CJB
6th March 2007, 09:11 PM
I drove one today, and it f*cking hammered. Shocked the hell out of me.

The only let down/s I have, it's rather bland on the inside, I thought they would have matched the specs to the CDX ... and I didnt like the steering wheel. The leather wrap looked cheap.

But otherwise, like in the SRiT the 'sport' button worked wonders and I love it! Sooo much more power then I expected.

digifish
6th March 2007, 09:25 PM
The only let down/s I have, it's rather bland on the inside. But otherwise, like in the SRiT the 'sport' button worked wonders and I love it! Sooo much more power then I expected.

I really wanted one with a leather interior...but not available :( I'll probably get mine done, I was quoted $2500 from a place that does excellent work and can deal with the in-seat air-bags.

If you drive one by ear (that is an ear tuned to petrol engine revs) you will quickly find yourself doing 100 in a 60 zone in 3rd :eek: ...only afew seconds after you started rolling.

digifish

nadg63
6th March 2007, 09:52 PM
Anyone know if they intend bringing the Diesel Coupe' to Aus?

J
14th March 2007, 12:01 PM
Sounds like it's time for me to upgrade from my Corsa C :)

Does anyone know if the current "Up to 15% off RRP on '06 models" clearance applies to the CDTi manual? If so, has anyone taken advantage of this? What's the best deal you managed to get?

Thanks in advance :)

Jeff

dieselhead
14th March 2007, 01:17 PM
got mine brand new for $30k and some change, on road, with 18" alloys and 225/40/R18 tires. can't give more details, so please don't ask :) it was a rather special arrangement between my employer and the dealer. i'm writing this just to show you there are ways to get the oiler at a smashing price if you shop around hard enough.
on top of that i spent $95.00 on the K&N panel filter and $830.00 for the DTUK Green tuning box.
all up, $31k for a car that does 0-100 km/h in low 7s seconds and runs 800km on a 52 litre tank in Metro area only. driven fairly hard too, because i never care about fuel economy.
fuel cost: only 7.75c per km.
constant grin behind the wheel: priceless :D

CJB
14th March 2007, 05:28 PM
Ross Llewellyn have 06 stock that they are marking down - up to 15% if anyone is interested.

We have a grey one, and a silver one - both auto.

They don't do too bad in the auto either.

Alix
14th March 2007, 07:00 PM
got mine brand new for $30k and some change, on road, with 18" alloys and 225/40/R18 tires.

And I thought I got a good price!

I paid $28K for the manual, including about $1K worth of extras (towbar, metallic paint, mats, liner, temp rego permit, fueled, interstate delivery to my workplace). I paid for my own local stamps/rego on top of that. MY07 model.

pred8r
14th March 2007, 07:25 PM

I paid $28K for the manual, including about $1K worth of extras (towbar, metallic paint, mats, liner, temp rego permit, fueled, interstate delivery to my workplace). I paid for my own local stamps/rego on top of that. MY07 model.

You purchased from interstate????
Someone you know or a LOT of shopping around?

Red AH SRI T
14th March 2007, 07:43 PM
Sounds like it's time for me to upgrade from my Corsa C :)

Does anyone know if the current "Up to 15% off RRP on '06 models" clearance applies to the CDTi manual? If so, has anyone taken advantage of this? What's the best deal you managed to get?

Thanks in advance :)

Jeff

Yes the UP TO 15% off sale does apply to CDTi's.

Alix
14th March 2007, 07:45 PM
You purchased from interstate????
Someone you know or a LOT of shopping around?

A LOT. Was dealing with around 50 dealers in five states, all in one day.

Gee, I love the internet...

Red AH SRI T
14th March 2007, 07:51 PM

:eek::eek:

pred8r
14th March 2007, 07:56 PM

Congratulations :D

NEVER thought of shopping interstate, have to think of that next time.

What states from/to?
Anything to watch out for?

Red AH SRI T
14th March 2007, 08:00 PM
just remember when you buy a car from out of state, all you are paying for is the car itself. When you register the car in your own state you then have to pay all state taxes including Rego, CTP, Stamp Duty, Number plates ect.

Alix
14th March 2007, 08:28 PM
:eek::eek:

Yeah, sorry about that. (You're a dealer, aren't you?)

EDIT: To clarify: I'm not trying to be rude. I meant, you must hate it when customers shop around so much - makes your job so much harder. At least, that's how I read your "Eek!"

Alix
14th March 2007, 08:43 PM
What states from/to?

I'm in the ACT. I went with (some of the) dealers in the ACT, NSW, Vic, SA and Qld. Emails went out at 9am, had the deal signed by that afternoon.

Checked out the car and did the test drive locally before that though.

Anything to watch out for?In my experience, not any more than usual dealer stuff - and honestly, some were great to deal with, others more like the stereotype.

In the ACT you don't have to pay for plate fees or CTP - it's built into the rego. But yes, I had to pay my stamps and rego, plus a $30 vehicle inspection fee when I got the car here.

I factored that (plus the delivery costs, or alternatively, me going to pick up the car and drive it home) into the negotiations. I just compared "final cost to me for car here and on the road" prices, however the deal came together.

pred8r
14th March 2007, 09:45 PM
just remember when you buy a car from out of state, all you are paying for is the car itself. When you register the car in your own state you then have to pay all state taxes including Rego, CTP, Stamp Duty, Number plates ect.

meaning the ORC's?

If a car is $19,999+ORC, and one dealer says $18,000+ORC, you have basically saved $1999 (minus the delivery and, if required, an inspection etc.)

Servicing can be done at any OEM service centre Auswide, cant it? meaning it doesnt have to go back to the original dealer to maintain warranty.

Alix
14th March 2007, 10:00 PM
meaning the ORC's?

Depends on how you define the On Road Costs.

You see a lot of car ads that say "Plus ORC" when they are refering to both government charges (stamp duty, rego etc.) AND the dealer costs (dealer delivery).

So, I guess the answer to your question is "No - ORC means more than the government charges".

Always work on the final price - the total cost for you to get the car you want in your driveway with number plates bolted on. Who you pay each bit to doesn't really matter in the end, just the total cost.

pred8r
14th March 2007, 10:27 PM
That is a fantastic piece of info.......almost deserving of its own thread, oh well.

dieselhead
14th March 2007, 10:34 PM
I can't agree more Alix. people who bought new cars tend to tell you the price they paid the dealer, leaving ORCs out for some reason. i tend to include everything, even the insurance for one year!
so, where are all those diesels Astras Holden is selling? plenty of Astras H around, but i have seen only one automatic diesel on the road since June last year. no manual yet, other than my own. where are they hiding? :)

Alix
14th March 2007, 10:55 PM
people who bought new cars tend to tell you the price they paid the dealer, leaving ORCs out for some reason. i tend to include everything, even the insurance for one year!

I can sort of understand it.

The government charges part of the final price can vary from state to state - they each have their own stamp duty and rego rates. Some include CTP, others make you pay someone else.

And insurance can vary too, depending on what sort of driver you are, your history, your sex, age, suburb, which company you go through, what discounts you're eligible for, what level of insurance you take out. And, I guess, if you're silly enough, if you take it out at all.

You could add all sorts of "extra" costs in as well - loan application fees, monthly fess, loan insurance, any duties payable on the loan contract etc. Or not, if you pay cash I suppose.

When you're buying the car, and you have to pay all this stuff out, sure, keep track of it all when comparing deals. It makes a difference - to you.

However, when you're comparing the price you paid for the car with other people, a lot of the variable stuff can be left out. The very fact that it varies so much from person to person means that it's more useful when comparing prices paid. Just let who you're telling know that's what you're doing, so they can compare equally.

That's how I look at it anyway.

so, where are all those diesels Astras Holden is selling? plenty of Astras H around, but i have seen only one automatic diesel on the road since June last year. no manual yet, other than my own. where are they hiding? :)I've seen one other in Canberra, months ago - before I bought mine.

EDIT: +1 this morning, in the carpark I used as I headed over to work. Didn't have time to go around the back to see if it was an auto or manual, but recognised the wheels - it was a MY07, and even the same colour as mine.

(Actually, the dealership I test-drove at had two demo CDTis the same colour I wanted, one auto, one manual. Maybe this one I saw was one of those?)

J
15th March 2007, 12:04 AM
Ross Llewellyn have 06 stock that they are marking down - up to 15% if anyone is interested.

We have a grey one, and a silver one - both auto.

They don't do too bad in the auto either.

Yes the UP TO 15% off sale does apply to CDTi's.

Thank you. I will email all the dealers to do up a '06 CDTi manual then! Failing that, I will go back to Plan B ;)

I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but any updates in the '07 models that I will miss, apart from cosmetics? What about equipment levels?

Alix: Do I just email their new cars sales directly? And just be firm and assertive, isn't it? :)

Cheers.

Jeff

wrexed03
15th March 2007, 02:17 AM
Hey folks just thought i would say a quick hello. Never under estimate the diesel lol. In regards to this topic Astra diesels are definetly moving people are buying i see a fair few in the carpark where i work. I know of 2 people i work with who have them and they are enjoying them very much and happy with the reliability of the vehicle. Both of these are boxed with a green dtuk unit owners are quite happy with the purchase.
Only thing they dont like is when they remove the unit from their vehicle when it goes in for a service it feels a little lethargic without the box lol..
If you are keen on the Astra CDTi definetley check it out because this vehicle has a lot of potential.

Alix
15th March 2007, 08:26 AM
I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but any updates in the '07 models that I will miss, apart from cosmetics? What about equipment levels?

I think the biggest change was the wheels - MY07 has a thin, ten spoke design. MY6.5 has thicker, double spoke design.

Photo showing the older wheel design: http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_3046/title_Holden-Astra-CDTi-Manual/article.html

And the new one: http://www.discountusedcars.com.au/usedcars/holden/astra/3358751-details-0.htm

Apart from that, just paint colours, AFAIK.

Alix: Do I just email their new cars sales directly? And just be firm and assertive, isn't it? :)

Cheers.

JeffPretty much. Although I just stated exactly what I wanted, and when I wanted it asking for their best price. Then I sat back and took the calls and emails and went from there. I won't get into negotiation skills now - I've got to get to work!

Red AH SRI T
15th March 2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah, sorry about that. (You're a dealer, aren't you?)

EDIT: To clarify: I'm not trying to be rude. I meant, you must hate it when customers shop around so much - makes your job so much harder. At least, that's how I read your "Eek!"

he he he

I don't mind ppl shopping around, hey a car is a lot of money and ppl want to be sure they are getting a good deal. Its when ppl openly lie to you that it pisses me off, but its all part of the job.

I was more amazed that you had the time to contact so many dealers, but then i realised you got it done in one day, so well done!!!

ope126
15th April 2007, 08:59 AM
I think the wheels look better on the MY06.5 than the MY07! :D

wrexed03
15th April 2007, 05:39 PM
Must agree with OPE 126. Not too keen on the new wheels. Probaly take longer to clean as well..