PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Tyres

Noir
7th October 2006, 12:32 AM
Has anyone dealt with these guys before?

Tempe Tyres (http://www.tempetyres.com.au/)

There are some great rims on this site and there are a few Astras in the gallery. Feedback would be appreciated.

jvl
7th October 2006, 01:20 AM
Hey there, I'm in Brisbane and bought mags and tyres from them for my last car and they were cheap thats for sure. Also as I ordered with some friends , and hence got multiple packages, they gave us better tyres than the ones that normally came in the packages we were getting. However they did send the shipment to Melbourne instead for some reason which delayed things a bit, was a tad annoying.

When I have to get new tyres for my Astra I will definately take a look at using them again (depending on pricing as I will only be getting tyres this time, not wheels as well).

Thats my $0.02

Cheers,

Andrew.

Noir
7th October 2006, 01:36 AM
what size are you rims Andrew?

jvl
7th October 2006, 02:49 PM
On my Astra they are the standard 17s that come with the SRi Turbo.

The one's I bought from Tempe were 15s (for the Pulsar that I no longer own).

Cheers,

Andrew.

Charlatan
7th October 2006, 04:42 PM
Cheap rims and cheapo tyres, what a good idea!

Cars with Tempe wheels always look cheap.

Gildo
7th October 2006, 04:49 PM
well said,
"we will upgrade the tyres for you from nangkangs to flakens"
LOL

ultim8DTM5
7th October 2006, 05:02 PM
Tyres are cheap, parallel importing is a marvellous thing.

platypus
7th October 2006, 05:49 PM
dodgy bros inc. was my impression - went to them when i lived down there - apart from cracking 3/4 wheel nuts then having the hide to charge me for them (hey they prolly coulda been done) and then proceding to lower the car to the ground with directional tyres pointed backwards....

terrible in house guys there -

but having said my negatives - the alignment guys there are awesome, they gave the car a total alignment (thrust, camber/caster/toe) for $35

Noir
7th October 2006, 06:40 PM
Interesting views I appreciate the feedback.

They seem to be quite popular with the ladies on the DBH forum where I found the link. I will shop around local for now. :)

dustbug
7th October 2006, 07:37 PM
Hello,

I got my 20's from them.

They are cheap for rims and tyres, won't find anywhere cheaper. Ok, they are cheap rims, but are you going to be racing the car at 200km/h +++.

They will do the job for the normal use of a car. I've had my 20s for 9 months now with Nankang NS2 tyres and havn't had any problems yet.

Now for the negatives.

1: They put underloaded tyres on and at the time i didn't check only realising this 4 weeks later. Rang them up and they pretty much said to "get ****ed".

2: When i got my rims, i said do a wheel alignment. They said you don't need to because the car is new. Got an alignment around 3 weeks ago and it was sooo off (JAX Kingsford) and they said tempe should of done the alignment when i got my wheels.

Summary, if your gonna get rims and tyres, make sure they put load bearing tyres and give you a wheel alignment!

lowey22
7th October 2006, 11:33 PM
ive got 2 sets of wheels and tyres from tempe. the service leaves a little to be desired, but they are cheap and neither of the wheels made my car look cheap (in my opinion anyway, let me know if you think the current ones do :) )

im with dusty on this one, wherever you buy wheels, make sure you get what you need.

MAD-16V
7th October 2006, 11:41 PM
17's on my charade came from them - Good quality wheels - Great tyres.

Started to drive down the highway , And thought that the car had caught fire.

Took it back - Turns out they didnt put the spring back in the cup properly so it was sitting on the inside of one of the rear tyres.
They said it was my fault and they wanted to charge me for a new tyre - I said no one else has worked on the car in the last 30 seconds so they better do something - They fitted a new tyre and basically told me to fug off.

But good prices :)

pred8r
8th October 2006, 08:57 AM
Summary, if your gonna get rims and tyres, make sure they put load bearing tyres and give you a wheel alignment!

Get the correct speed rated tyres too. (dont give your insurance co. an excuse to not pay up if anything happens)

Wraith
8th October 2006, 12:12 PM
mmmm, very interesting comments here.

I not from NSW, so I obviously havn't dealt with tempe, but let me say - cheap wheels and cheap tyres don't make the car their fitted to look cheap !

More like the style of the rim chosen and it's finish/condition might make the car look crappy if they are a crappy looking rim ie.

There are plenty of cheap rims out there that look awesome and some wheel outlets with huge buying power are able to sell top shelf rims at great prices -this dosn't make em cheap and ugly !

As for cheap tyres, at a glance when fitted to the car, they all look the same, how can a cheap tyre make the car look cheap... LOL.

Personally I would always recommend spending more on tyres and getting a higher quality item, more for safety issues than anything else, but there are some very good cheaper brands out there that do a very good job.

As far as load rating is concerned (in the case of Dustbug) I suspect what's happened in your case is they opted for a 225 30 series 20" tyre for clearance and O/A diameter considerations and all 20" tyres of 30 series except if you step up to 235's are load rated at 85.

If you have the clearance, then fit 235's and you'll get the required 87, on my Astra G also on 20's I could not fit 235's, they were simply too big in O/A diameter and clearance issues would have resulted.

dustbug
8th October 2006, 10:37 PM
Yes this is true. They are 225/30/20s

Well, when i went there i said, whats the biggest rims i can fit, and they said 20s.

Well as a normal everyday person, you would suspect that 20s would comply with tyre and speed loadings but they didn't. So really they should of said 19s would be the biggest rims that would fit due to that 20s would not comply with speed / load ratings.

So my next set of tyres would probs be a 245/34/20 if they fit. If not will need some mods to make them fit

PaulyJ
8th October 2006, 11:24 PM
So really they should of said 19s would be the biggest rims that would fit due to that 20s would not comply with speed / load ratings.
Business is business, and when the business is good, dont change the formula.
I dont agree with how they operate (mates have been d!cked), but they are one of the most successful tyres place in Australia simply on how they operate.

Noir, you've heard the opinions, you make the final decision.
If I were you, I'd look around, and find a good package. By good I mean the rims you want, and good tyres, thats the important part.
If Tempe can give you that for the price you want, go for it.

Gildo
8th October 2006, 11:44 PM
good tyres refering to anything non nankang ns2, or falkens or the kumho they will offer you

Wraith
9th October 2006, 01:20 PM
Yes this is true. They are 225/30/20s

Well, when i went there i said, whats the biggest rims i can fit, and they said 20s.

Well as a normal everyday person, you would suspect that 20s would comply with tyre and speed loadings but they didn't. So really they should of said 19s would be the biggest rims that would fit due to that 20s would not comply with speed / load ratings.

So my next set of tyres would probs be a 245/34/20 if they fit. If not will need some mods to make them fit

Hi there again Dustbug, I think the only spec you will have issues with on your 225/30/20's is the load rating.

The speed rating should be at or in excess of what's required.

All available low profile 20" tyres are high performance and extra reinforced.

I also believe from the calculations I've done that you will easily fit 225/35/20 tyres on your AH as the clearance is much greater than the TS and your load rating probs are over.

Jai
9th October 2006, 01:41 PM
ok.. to add my 2c to this argument... i have been involved in tyre ind for 6 or so years... (been to long.... hahah) i might live in WA but i know alot about TEMPE tyres.... they have one of the biggest buying powers in AUS, they hold around 50,000 units of stock in their own warehouse.

they also then have different shops in each state that supply to the public for them. like it was said they parallel import basically eveything they sell, some is good. some is very very bad.

the problems i have seen is the finish will peel off, crack or discolour, the tyres arent fitted correctly, they have totally wrong load index's, they arent ballanced correctly if balanced at all, most stuff you can hold them accountable for, BUT if u live outside of driving distance you will have to freight them back, pay the freight both ways and wait for your wheels.

most of their wheels come from china and the quality of alloy is questionable at the best of times.

Now that ive said that... when you are buying something and its that cheap... esp wheels and tyres you get what you pay for. they normally always look good and you wouldnt know they were cheap by looking at them.

tyres all look the same from the side really.... they to most people are black and round... and considered expensive. but i'll put it this way.. when you've going 120km/h and your racing someone, or your doing 40km.h past a school, and you have to stop fast, or turn hard.... what connects your car to the road?

JR
9th October 2006, 11:18 PM
my wheels were frm sydney tempe tyres, got a package deal - 17" rims with 215/40/R17 tyres. excellent price - crappy service.
but at the time, i didn't realise the load rating was below the minimum required.
and so i changed the tyres, after i wore them out. cheapo tyres, but they gripped fairly well, n dats with hard braking, turns, n accelerating.
but they were noisy az...big time

but i'm very happy with the rims - can't complain.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/jrappai/Da%20Car/Shoot01.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/jrappai/Da%20Car/Shoot02.jpg

JR
9th October 2006, 11:28 PM
.....oh, n the number of pot holes i've hit - both big n small, n driving on crappy sydney roads, the rims r still good...touchwood.
2yrs, n still going.

mr_sikma
10th October 2006, 12:24 AM
theres also...

www.ozzytyres.com.au

mates have ordered mags from tempe and had them sent to sa with no probs!

tim_
10th October 2006, 08:04 PM
ozzy tyres is where i'm considering getting wheels from, as for 18" $2000 or so is a pretty good price.

Jai
12th October 2006, 04:29 PM
ozzy tyres is where i'm considering getting wheels from, as for 18" $2000 or so is a pretty good price.

if you want wheels for you AH i am considering selling my factory TURBO 18" wheels from my SRi

Genuine as opposed to Aftermarket.....

dustbug
13th October 2006, 01:18 PM
Hi there again Dustbug, I think the only spec you will have issues with on your 225/30/20's is the load rating.

The speed rating should be at or in excess of what's required.

All available low profile 20" tyres are high performance and extra reinforced.

I also believe from the calculations I've done that you will easily fit 225/35/20 tyres on your AH as the clearance is much greater than the TS and your load rating probs are over.

Reading this i checked the plakard on my petrol cap and it says 91H which implies that the speed rating index is 210 km/h with 615kg per tyre.

With my rims, they are 85W, therefore speed index of 270km/h with 515 per tyre.

Do you think these would even out???

http://www.michelin.com.au/tyres/tyreBasics_speedRating.asp