PDA

View Full Version : Whats better a Holden Rodeo or a Toyota Hilux Feedback plz.

maloo97
3rd October 2006, 04:41 PM
Sup guys just thought id post this up.

Got given a car allowance from work to get a new ute. I am tossing up between a Holden Rodeo 3.6 alloytec cab chassis or the Toyota Hilux 4.0 Sr cab chassis. there much of a muchness.
what do you guys knoe or think on this topic.

DirtyHarry
3rd October 2006, 04:48 PM
id go with the toyota. cant go wrong with that.
my uncle bought a rodeo not too long ago and already had to get the fuel pump replaced.

maloo97
3rd October 2006, 04:50 PM
id go with the toyota. cant go wrong with that.
my uncle bought a rodeo not too long ago and already had to get the fuel pump replaced.

Thats one reason im not replacing the the ford falcon i have at the moment. 4 years old , New sump new steering rack , new fuel pump and now new diff. so Yeh either a rodeo but high on fuel and the hilux.
Also hilux is cheaper.

low astra
3rd October 2006, 05:35 PM
rodeo is expensive to service, the ones at work feel like bags of **** to drive, where as the hilux that is a 1990 model is still goin strong, just a few dents,

hilux 4wd V6 is shocking on fuel however, a lot worse than people give them credit for

xplosv57
3rd October 2006, 05:48 PM
Both are reliable and i didn't think they were that bad to service, i however know the old 3.2 and 3.5 Rodeos are ridiculous on fuel not too sure how the Alloytec stacks up but yeah id go the Hilux, bit better quality and i like the look of the new ones!!

Have u considered the diesel option???

pred8r
3rd October 2006, 06:00 PM
anything with a 'turbo diesel' ;) dont even consider the petrol ones

Jackson
3rd October 2006, 06:39 PM
haveto agree there,'unless you get a fuel allowance as well ??

mate is a plumber and they all have rodeos and he said they have had heaps of problems with them, petrol ones anyway !

can't go past a toyota for strength !!!

Blue_Dvl
3rd October 2006, 07:26 PM
watch top gear.... the hilux is truly unbreakable.

On a serious note, go with the Toyota. By all reports the Rodeo is very poor on fuel economy. My mate just got a new one for work, and has already has some problems with it.

Toyota has made a name for work vehicles, i dont think you could go wrong with a hilux.

EL BURITO
3rd October 2006, 07:38 PM
Toyota diesels are dam reliable. 95% of the RIO TINTO northwest road fleet are Hilux and Cruisers

Nice to drive, u can roll em :eek: turn em back on there wheels and keep going (some exceptions of corse) but i would pick one

and the diesel isnt with out power

Mr T
3rd October 2006, 07:46 PM
I've owned both...old ones at least

A 1979 diesel Hilux and later a 1992 diesel Rodeo. The Hilux started out with 380,000km and then sold it 2 years later with 500,000km for $200. The Rodeo started with 180,000km and 3 years later sold it with 380,000km. I prefered the Hilux for durability and general ruff and tumble ability but the rodeo **** all over my dads 91 Hilux for comfort and drivability (on sealed roads that is).

Neither ute cost me alot in repairs.

I know these two cars are chalk and cheese with the new stuff but its good to know that they can both stand up to a beating...although the Hilux does this better...!!!

Lt Ketch
3rd October 2006, 08:16 PM
I have no experience with any Hi-Lux

BUT

We have an Auto V6 RWD 03 Rodeo in the fleet at work.

Of all the cars I have ever driven that had at the time of being driven been recent models this particular Rodeo is probably the second worst car I have ever had the displeasure of piloting. The last AU falcon to leave the fleet took that honor...by a big margin! Back to the Rodeo. It handles like a boat...no it handles like a very big ship, is uncomfortable, relatively slow considering the size of the motor and has enough crap plastic to make you feel like your traveling in a big freezer bag. The worst thing is that it has never even been used as a commercial vehicle other than the weekend Bunnings trip by the manager who has to take it home every night, so its not like it should be worn out.

maloo97
3rd October 2006, 08:42 PM
Both are reliable and i didn't think they were that bad to service, i however know the old 3.2 and 3.5 Rodeos are ridiculous on fuel not too sure how the Alloytec stacks up but yeah id go the Hilux, bit better quality and i like the look of the new ones!!

Have u considered the diesel option???

Yeh i looked at diesel but i Only have $15k to spend on a new ute,
Both the rodeo an hilux are 15k changeover after trade of au falcon.

Thanks for the feedback i was leaning hilux and i think it's the better bet.
Quick test drive of the 2 tomorrow and we'll see how we go.

rjastra
4th October 2006, 12:57 PM
What are the new Mitsubishi Tritons like? Bet they would do a good deal :)

Apex
4th October 2006, 01:12 PM
go The Toyota!

MK
4th October 2006, 01:23 PM
Mazda Bravo (Ford Courier)? Nissan Navara? My cousin has bought a Toyota Hilux (Crew cab V6) he has had a lot of cars and swears by it...

maloo97
4th October 2006, 01:44 PM
Yeh iv looked at all of em and i put a deposit on the hilux
Only prob is that there is no stock in oz.
So i have to wait 5 weeks for a silver one to come off the boat.

EL BURITO
4th October 2006, 02:53 PM
5 weeks isnt to bad thou. considering how long ppl wait for some cars

pred8r
4th October 2006, 05:02 PM
5 weeks - Thats what they said about the TD hiace van. So happy i couldnt wait. :D

WLD-18L
4th October 2006, 06:34 PM
My dad just got a new rodao and its awsome. but yes it is very expensive to run and service but the toyota probably is aswell. we got it coz we go out in th country a bit. its got laods of power can take on any hill climb and the LSD is awsome down the dirt tracks :) i think its somthing like 13.5 Litters to the 100klm which at the time was exactly the same as the SS 5.7L V8. it cost us bout 80 bucks a week to run. done 60,000 and havent had a problem yet.

ive got a Landcruiser for sale if you wonna have a look !
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?total_rec=7&selected_region=0&search_type=20&vehicle_id=3533697&keyword=1995&model_id=28&selected_model=33&state_id=7&current_rec=1&search_distance=25&used_rec=7&make_id=8&category_id=3

xplosv57
5th October 2006, 11:43 AM
:) i think its somthing like 13.5 Litres to the 100klm

Is that the Alloytec V6 model?? Because thats awesome compared to the 3.2 and 3.5 Isuzu versions, i got 2 mates with both and they get 350km out of a tank (17l/100km) regardless of weight or gearbox (one is manual, the other is auto) Took it on a trip once and pushed it to 410km out of the tank, id rather the 5.7 SS, more power and way better fuel consumption!!

Don
6th October 2006, 09:50 AM
Sup guys just thought id post this up.

Got given a car allowance from work to get a new ute. I am tossing up between a Holden Rodeo 3.6 alloytec cab chassis or the Toyota Hilux 4.0 Sr cab chassis. there much of a muchness.
what do you guys knoe or think on this topic.

You need to look at dealer support also in your decission. I know from first hand experience that the Toyota dealer network is more interested in supplying service generally than the Holden Dealers. Toyota's testing requirements in vehicle design are also more stringent than those of Holden. Again this is from first hand experience.

pred8r
6th October 2006, 06:05 PM
Its a bit late as you've already put the deposit down but....

look at;
how long do you think will have the vehicle?
Who will own it?
is the $15k given to you as a lump or an allowance ($XX/wk)?
Who is paying for the fuel?
How long is the $15k for? ie will you get another in the forseeable future or was it a one off

either way, i'd consider getting a better(?) (more expensive) vehicle, consider the $15k as repayments over 2 years and you could have gotten something around $25k, excluding trade-in.
After 2 years the car should still be worth more than $10k, so if need be sell it and you wouldnt've been out of pocket anyway.

my 2¢

maloo97
7th October 2006, 06:36 PM
Its a bit late as you've already put the deposit down but....

look at;
how long do you think will have the vehicle?
Who will own it?
is the $15k given to you as a lump or an allowance ($XX/wk)?
Who is paying for the fuel?
How long is the $15k for? ie will you get another in the forseeable future or was it a one off

either way, i'd consider getting a better(?) (more expensive) vehicle, consider the $15k as repayments over 2 years and you could have gotten something around $25k, excluding trade-in.
After 2 years the car should still be worth more than $10k, so if need be sell it and you wouldnt've been out of pocket anyway.

my 2¢

Yes not thanks pred, But to all above the company pay's for the lot.
Also i get a new care every 4 to 5 years. Cheers.

pred8r
8th October 2006, 09:01 AM
In that case choose the one with the most comfy seat :D

If they're paying for the lot, enjoy it. (I am :D:D)

maloo97
4th December 2006, 04:48 PM
Finally off the boat and in my driveway.
picked it up last week.

Hilux Sr 4.0 c/c. Nice ute.

pred8r
4th December 2006, 08:15 PM
Congrats (wheres the bundy rum and N.R.N.R stickers? :D)

EL BURITO
5th December 2006, 04:07 AM
still think when it came to wheels for the Hilux the team got high that day cos the wheels look too small