PDA

View Full Version : SRI owner turned to the dark side(VW)

SSS_Hoon
27th September 2006, 08:50 PM
anyway we used to see a black turbo sri in our area a fair bit plates were TRO 47Y i think black and white anyway stoped seeing it for a while and then the other night same plates were on a black golf not sure if it was a GTI or not but didnt look like a standard golf either the GTI or TDI maybe.

another convert to the dark side well not really the dark side still euro but you know waht i mean.

so is there any other opel owners out there on tis site that have sold to buy another car if so what was it and y?

SSS_Hoon

Bernard Siong
27th September 2006, 11:29 PM
i bought a honda ek civic cause its much cheaper to maintain and run
and has a larger range of after market parts and performance bolt ons...

id love to own another euro like a golf gti or clio sport but they're just out of my budget at the moment

Vectracious
27th September 2006, 11:59 PM
Bought a MY05 WRX over an SRiT because

1. AWD
2. Mods are more plentiful, easier and cheaper
3. Need a 4 door car - I'm planning on keeping this car a while - which will mean kiddies down the track - 2 door car would just be impractical.

+ Fantastic drive, Japanese Quality.
- Not a pretty car, interior from the 80's.

GTi would have been good, but waiting list is too long and its a bit girly.
XR5 would have been good, but its a Ford.
SRiT would have been fantastic, but only comes in a 2 door.

blk_tyga
28th September 2006, 12:04 AM
GTi would have been good, but waiting list is too long and its a bit girly.

Solution = get an r32!!

PaulyJ
28th September 2006, 12:07 AM
yeah.. the r32 screams "I've got balls!!!"

MatsHolden
28th September 2006, 12:17 AM
yeah.. the r32 screams "I've got balls!!!"

Except it comes at a price... bit too much for a hatch I think. lol

blk_tyga
28th September 2006, 12:18 AM
dont worry about the price, when you hear the latest iteration of r32 golfs ull understand... or maybe its just coz of love the sound of v6s when they're opened up

rjastra
28th September 2006, 01:57 PM
I sold my TS Astra Sri at the beginning of the years and bought a Polo Gti.

The wait for a new Astra Sri TUrbo (AH) was too long. Reviews of the new Astra SriT seem to bear out that it wasn't really worth waiting for.

SSS_Hoon
28th September 2006, 04:28 PM
another vw convert hehehehe

well we never owned a opel in the frist place hehehe.

although i did sell my holden to buy my nissan although it was a VL and i sorta regret selling it now that i can get my hands a full race spec rb26dett fairly easily and cheaply grrrr.

oh well

SSS_Hoon

oneightoo
28th September 2006, 04:50 PM
if i had the money id get that vw with the w12 engine, cant remember what its called.. the same engine in the bentley that was on top gear the other night..

jvl
28th September 2006, 05:52 PM
that would be the Bugatti Veyron.... which actually has a W16 - its got 2 twin-turbo V8s :eek:

loved the bit where the French coppers were coming up alongside of him and telling him to go faster!!

VW built it to prove they could.... from memory Porsche and a few other companies are now making similar cars just to beat the Veyron.

xplosv57
28th September 2006, 08:13 PM
I haven't sold my Opel yet but i am considering selling it for something else (maybe a bit quicker). That something else however has not been decided yet!!

SSS_Hoon
28th September 2006, 08:18 PM
i would love the clio sport 192 cup or whatever it is sweet ride.

and another GTI DSG is just so much fun too drive but already got one of those.

the bugatti no thanx i dont like it.

me the zonda for sure.

or a muricalago

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon
28th September 2006, 08:35 PM
and i thought the VW car they were talking about was the W12 phaeton not the bugatti?

SSS_Hoon

jvl
28th September 2006, 08:37 PM
possibly.....I haven't watched any Top Gear on SBS. Was it the episode where they have a race from the south of France to London with Jeremy driving and JAmes and the Hampster in a light plane ?

aussie_in_london
28th September 2006, 09:09 PM
our crap megane td will ne going next year for one of these

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/aussie32/leon01.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/aussie32/leon05.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/aussie32/leon06.jpg
pics borrowed from Seatsports owners club UK

its still a turbo diesel but 170bhp & 350nm of torque, a simple remap is seeing around 220bhp and over 400nm, i am all for it for my misses work car and my VXR wont be going anywhere : )

oneightoo
29th September 2006, 07:32 AM
possibly.....I haven't watched any Top Gear on SBS. Was it the episode where they have a race from the south of France to London with Jeremy driving and JAmes and the Hampster in a light plane ?

nup wasnt that challenge.. it was definatley a w12.. it was the episode that james tested the bentley in dubai and had the local blueys close off a section of hwy so he could hit the top speed.. it was 2 v6's bolted together.. the vw had the same engine and was about 5 bazillion dollars cheaper than the bentley..

Wraith
29th September 2006, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't replace my TS turbo convertible for anything !

I would like to add a AH HSV VXR to it though.....

Would never consider a VW Golf, they've never done for me - it's a personal taste thing - the R32 is quite a machine though.

Have any of you Golf enthusiasts considered the new Golf GT 1.4ltr. 'Twin Charger' ?

125kw 240nm from a 1.4ltr, 7-9ltr/100km combined cycle economy - not bad at all !

This may eventually include the 2.0ltr engine.

Why would you bother with the TDI ........

rjastra
29th September 2006, 09:46 AM
Have any of you Golf enthusiasts considered the new Golf GT 1.4ltr. 'Twin Charger' ?

125kw 240nm from a 1.4ltr, 7-9ltr/100km combined cycle economy - not bad at all !

My polo has been "chipped" to 150Kw/330Nm, weighs the same as my old Sri 2.2 yet used 15% less fuel in city traffic. Go figure.

Vectracious
29th September 2006, 11:32 AM
Solution = get an r32!!

Yeah, an R32 is a different story, but still, 50+K for a hatch??

rjastra
29th September 2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah, an R32 is a different story, but still, 50+K for a hatch??

So if you packaged it in a 5 yr old sedan body like a WRX it would be ok? - lol

Vectracious
29th September 2006, 01:29 PM
So if you packaged it in a 5 yr old sedan body like a WRX it would be ok? - lol

Err, where did I say that?

rjastra
29th September 2006, 04:05 PM
Err, where did I say that?

Then what did you mean when you made the statement "but still, 50+K for a hatch??" ;)

SSS_Hoon
29th September 2006, 04:25 PM
he meant that 50k for a hatch is not worth it, but the r32 is more then 50k a GTI can set you back 50k

SSS_Hoon

rusole21
29th September 2006, 05:08 PM
i changed to subaru to. 2001 forester gt
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9101/dscf0725js6.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1070/dscf0729qt0.jpg
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8205/dscf0731rg5.jpg

SSS_Hoon
29th September 2006, 05:11 PM
i like the forresters although not that qwik but a great family car, would love the liberty gt though nice ride.

easier to put a pice of paper on the plates then to shop them out eh...

SSS_Hoon

rusole21
29th September 2006, 05:17 PM
my foz isnt that quick but low 13s are what alot of guys are doin with them at the moment. the standard xts do low 14's so yeah your right. theyre slow as:D

SSS_Hoon
29th September 2006, 05:33 PM
didnt say they were slow as just that they are not that fast is all.

i do like the older ones better then the current ones.

same as the wrx's the older ones were heaps better loking then the current and the last model too.

SSS_Hoon

Vectracious
29th September 2006, 06:05 PM
Then what did you mean when you made the statement "but still, 50+K for a hatch??" ;)

Ummm..... I meant exactly what I said - its still 50+K for a hatch.

I love how you assumed that just because I have a Rex that I think its the be all and end all car of all time....

I personally wouldn't pay that much for a hatchback, just like I would not justify spending 50+K on Japanese shopping trolley with lots of boost and a 6 speed (read STi). SSSHoon understood....

Also, I prefer sedan's over hatchbacks (in most cases) - but thats really personal preference for most people.

platypus
29th September 2006, 10:15 PM
its still a turbo diesel but 170bhp & 350nm of torque, a simple remap is seeing around 220bhp and over 400nm, i am all for it for my misses work car and my VXR wont be going anywhere : )and its still technically a VW :p

or an audi

or a skoda

is there another here?

anyway good to see seat have a car with some power behind it... the seat range here was just waay to gutless (cordoba and ???) ac made the whole thing laggy - had to switch it off to attempt driving up small inclines.... like driveways

aussie_in_london
30th September 2006, 12:30 AM
and its still technically a VW :p

or an audi

or a skoda

is there another here?

anyway good to see seat have a car with some power behind it... the seat range here was just waay to gutless (cordoba and ???) ac made the whole thing laggy - had to switch it off to attempt driving up small inclines.... like driveways

under the bonnet plenty of audi badges : ) the previous model Leon td and lower sports spec has the golf TD 150 engine the upper FR specs has the audi td 170 power plant, These new FR (formula racing) range do have some go in them and the new Leon CupraR is just about to be released with 240bhp

but like i say the VXR wont be going anywhere, the seat will replace the crap a*s td megane we have as our get around and shopping car, plus the wifes car to drive around the UK for work

typetnt
1st October 2006, 01:28 PM
I gave my mum my '02 Astra City (Auto) in Oct '05 and saved up to get an '04 Mini Cooper (Manual). My reasoning for this was because I wanted a manual car that wasn't a Holden and also gave a different driving experience without being a turbo/supercharged 6-Cylinder+ behemoth.

My experience with Holden dealers have unfortunately been very negative, but I still miss and drive the Astra from time to time. It still has the OpelAus stickers on the rear windscreen.

180HOA
1st October 2006, 02:43 PM
The GTi Golf is a nice car, and if I were looking for a new car right now it'd be on the list. But the honest truth is, to me, it's no where near being $20,000 better than my TS SRiT.

Even if i were in the market for a new car now, I think it'd be hard to fork over $10,000 more for the GTi than for an AH SRi. Quality-wise they're hard to pick the difference, the SRi looks hotter, and the Golf has that horrible tartan trim, unless you fork out $3,000 more for leather.

rjastra
4th October 2006, 01:00 PM
think it'd be hard to fork over $10,000 more for the GTi than for an AH SRi

$10000?? its more like $4000. And frankly from what i have read the new Astra SRiT isn't even near best in class. Which is unfortunate.

SSS_Hoon
4th October 2006, 01:57 PM
yeah not 10k diff, and the seats are great brings it back to the good old days of the mk1 gti but i guess if your not a fan of vw then you wouldnt like it.

although a fully optioned GTI would be close to 10k more i guess.

well with the focus and the mazda did u really think the srit would be best in class? it would be top 3 though for sure wouldnt it?

SSS_Hoon

rjastra
5th October 2006, 09:38 AM
well with the focus and the mazda did u really think the srit would be best in class? it would be top 3 though for sure wouldnt it?

Hmmm. I reckon it's problem the worst in class now behind the VW/Mazda/Focus. Once the 207 Gti and Clio 197 arrive it will drop even more spots.

Luckily it is fairly cheap.

SSS_Hoon
5th October 2006, 09:59 AM
i forgot about the clio coming, and the pug well not so much hehehe....

SSS_Hoon