PDA

View Full Version : Revenue Raising at its finest...!

btm
25th September 2006, 08:13 AM
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=93952

Parking fine 'every 48 seconds in NSW'

Monday Sep 25 05:52 AEST
NSW motorists are hit with a parking fine every 48 seconds, with councils accelerating their fines haul by 23 per cent to $116 million last year, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Sydney City Council remains the state's biggest issuer of parking fines, new figures show.

Its fines revenue was $32 million, up about $5 million on the previous 12 months.

Over the same period, Ryde Council almost tripled the value of its fines to $1.774 million, after focusing on areas around schools, kindergartens and childcare centres.

Waverley Council, which controls Bondi Beach, doubled the parking fines collected to $12.24 million, placing it second to Sydney City Council.

Baulkham Hill, Wyong and Canada Bay also doubled their take.

The value of fines issued by NSW councils soared to $116,719,894 in 2005-06, up $22 million, the newspaper reports.

Just three years ago, in 2002-03, the figure was $59.8 million.

EL BURITO
25th September 2006, 01:20 PM
dont park your car were u shouldnt then.

Charlatan
25th September 2006, 09:59 PM
Agreed ^^^^. I have no problem with parking inspectors b/c I follow the rules. It aint hard, people are just lazy/selfish

oneightoo
25th September 2006, 10:03 PM
Agreed ^^^^. I have no problem with parking inspectors b/c I follow the rules. It aint hard, people are just lazy/selfish

i agree, altho i think the tactics used are a bit sus.. sometimes people need to park in no parking places.. i know i have had to in emergency type situations.. luckily i havent been fined..

tim_
25th September 2006, 11:21 PM
i park every day in the library car park at hornsby, which is 3 hour car parking, they targeted my car for a while, but the ineptitude flows thick in that council, they gave me 2 fines for being parked in a 3 hour spot for less that 3 hours, and on both fines specified the times, so i didn't have to pay them. suckers. still, i've had about 10 parking fines in the last 18 months lol

btm
26th September 2006, 08:34 AM
that was more the point i was referring to (tim's point above)

i agree that if you park in a disabled parking spot or over stay a parking metre metre by more than half an hour or something like that, then you are doing the wrong thing... but they will get ticket you the the minute your parking metre runs out and you havent vacated the spot!

i do not agree with the way they go about their ways in giving out fines

JasonGilholme
26th September 2006, 10:48 AM
Perfect example:

I was walking back to my car after going to see someone, as i was approaching my car i notice the parking inspector dude standing near my car watching the meter.

i said hi and unlocked my car, I had a quick glance and had a look at the metre and it was only had about 30 seconds left on it. I opened the boot and put my bag and a few other things in there and then jumped in the drivers seat. The parking dude was still staring at the parking meter.

Just before I started my car the parking meter had expired and the guy signed the parking fine and handed to me as my engine was turning over!!!

he told me that he signed the ticket before my car was started which meant my car was in the parking space for longer then the specefied time!!!

i always believed that they had to start writing the ticket after the meter had expired. he had it all written down and ready to sign before i even walked over to my car!!

i ended up having to pay the parking fine because some knob of a cop thought he was being smart.

Thats revenue raising at its finest.

tim_
26th September 2006, 11:59 AM
i think on the news i saw a bit of arse kickage happening about how many they are giving out, they are being told to give less?

Diabolical
27th September 2006, 05:30 PM
I got one after parking (in what I thought was a perfectly legal space) for 2 mins trying to run something into one of my friend's at thier work. They really are quick to hand those things out.