PDA

View Full Version : AH SRi

dustbug
23rd September 2006, 01:35 PM
Went to Arncliffe Suttons today to wash the car, and thought i'd drop by the new cars. Asked for the new SRi and the reply was "your lucky, just got one in last night".

And what a car it was. Out the back carlot with 18km on the clock, never been test driven, and will never be test driven. Sat in it with the engine on, and what a sound. Reving it to the redline and the turbo, awsome!!!! At 2K RPM you can hear the turbo kicking in.

I want one!!! Only one problem though....... $$$$$$

Has anyone had the chance to test drive one yet???

Oooooo and P.S. i was reading a motor mag at work on friday comparing the VXR & XR5T, they tested the VXR to doing 0-100 in 5.3 seconds........

Poogene2001
23rd September 2006, 06:10 PM
Werent there a whole bunch of posts from people a few months ago, about reactions to test drives? I'm pretty sure I was even one of those people! Also, did you really rev it to red line with the car having only 18km on the odometer? Thats nice, im sure the future owner will really appreciate that!

MK
23rd September 2006, 06:40 PM
yes, the Turbo Sri AH is nice...same here $$$ is the issue, i guess i should be happy with what i have (Astra AH CD) and work on that...

5.3sec is pretty good figure for a stock Turbo.

dustbug
23rd September 2006, 07:37 PM
i revved it to 4K RPM because of that reason. then i hoped out of the car, and then the salesman hoped in a revved it to the redline

EL BURITO
23rd September 2006, 07:50 PM
dam salesman.

RudeOne
23rd September 2006, 08:28 PM
the 5.3 sec 0-100 is wrong they did a miss print

its 6.1-6.2

I have had the pleasure of drving a sri ah twice now, and i loved it.... for comfort its 1000 times better than my old sriT, only 2 down falls - cup holder suck and clutch doesnt have a grab point

Mr T
23rd September 2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah the 5.3 was a typeo...the correct figure from Motor is 6.7 0-100 and 14.75 1/4. You have to read the article for those numbers.

The comment about the high revs when new...gone are the days of tightening down the head at 500 miles...give it its all from new, treat it mean, keep it keen...!!!

MatsHolden
23rd September 2006, 10:40 PM
Yeh mate they're fantastic, drove it again tonight.:p Absolutely love hearing the turbo spool up and blow off when you back off the throttle. And yeh there is another thread from a couple of months ago with all the first impressions of it.

aussie_in_london
24th September 2006, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=Mr T;153413]Yeah the 5.3 was a typeo...the correct figure from Motor is 6.7 0-100 and 14.75 1/4. You have to read the article for those numbers.QUOTE]

and thats a pre production Vxl VXR being tested running a differnet map to the production models, running them in the UK now at 0-100km 6.05 sec and i have seen a standard run a 1/4mile in low 14's, stage 2 was just tested in a mag 5.7sec 0-100.

dustbug
24th September 2006, 12:11 PM
Yeah the 5.3 was a typeo...the correct figure from Motor is 6.7 0-100 and 14.75 1/4. You have to read the article for those numbers.

The comment about the high revs when new...gone are the days of tightening down the head at 500 miles...give it its all from new, treat it mean, keep it keen...!!!

Really? i thought you should be careful with the car when new. I didn't go over 3,000RPM in my car for at least the first 2,000km. When the salesman was redlining it, i was like ouch, i wouldn't want this to be my car one day.

Moral of the story, if ur getting a car, make sure its not in the back car lot, get it from their warehouse thingo

aussie_in_london
24th September 2006, 07:02 PM
it is recommended to run them easily for the first 1000km, now the engine has been bench run prior to fitting so its more to bed in all the running gear and brakes!

phat-dave
24th September 2006, 08:12 PM
fcuk it i say, in all seriousness none of you will keep your car for 3-5 yrs, so caine the absolute hell out of it whilst youve got it... my car loves it and screams for more

bottom line is, if it blows up, it'll be repaired...

Poogene2001
24th September 2006, 10:42 PM
fcuk it i say, in all seriousness none of you will keep your car for 3-5 yrs, so caine the absolute hell out of it whilst youve got it... my car loves it and screams for more

You sound like just the kind of guy I would love to buy a used car off!
Keep up the good work.
Oh, and who will pay for the repair when it blows up 4 years in?

JP Dyno
25th September 2006, 10:10 AM
mmm the missus should be picking her ah SRI up later this week....

Shaun
25th September 2006, 04:00 PM

Another car to be added to the "Holden Database".... Someone to remind me to quote the above comments when this car has issues or is for sale on the forum .....

R3N
25th September 2006, 04:27 PM
Another car to be added to the "Holden Database".... Someone to remind me to quote the above comments when this car has issues or is for sale on the forum .....

I've seen cars with issues when its not even a week old.
I've seen cars with issues even when it was driven by a granny.

Why buy a performance car if you're not going to enjoy it? Why bother taking it easy so the owner after you can enjoy it? Enjoy it for what it is, its your property at the moment. I'm sure Holden is aware that a performance car will get cained but then again dealers always try to weasel out of warranty claims. The fact is its meant to be given a good run every once in a while.

Shaun
25th September 2006, 05:13 PM

Why buy a performance car if you're not going to enjoy it? Why bother taking it easy so the owner after you can enjoy it? Enjoy it for what it is, its your property at the moment. I'm sure Holden is aware that a performance car will get cained but then again dealers always try to weasel out of warranty claims. The fact is its meant to be given a good run every once in a while.

They dont always try to "weasel" out of warranty. When something is "Abused" and it can be proven ( Dealerships arent dumb) .

Yeah "preformance " cars are ment to be enjoyed. But be realistic about the comment made . Who in the right mind writes that about there car. Sure its in a lot of peoples mind's and that it happens...

Alfonzo
25th September 2006, 06:58 PM
I checked out an SRi Turbo down at Motorama Holden last weekend (the one past this one just gone) - it's very nice indeed.

Two things - first, I noticed that the indicator is on the right side of the steering column, not the left. Second, I'm a little disappointed in the "Vauxhall come-Holden" V-grille on the front, you can so tell they didn't even bother with that.

But yeah, looks hawt in black. Looks hot in black too, but more importantly, it looks hawt :cool:

MatsHolden
25th September 2006, 07:06 PM

There's a difference between driving a performance car properly and thrashing it.

MatsHolden
25th September 2006, 07:13 PM
Second, I'm a little disappointed in the "Vauxhall come-Holden" V-grille on the front, you can so tell they didn't even bother with that.

I'm glad they've used the Vauxhall grille, sets it apart from the standard grille. Not sure what you mean by you can tell they didn't bother?

Shaun
25th September 2006, 07:39 PM
I'm glad they've used the Vauxhall grille, sets it apart from the standard grille. Not sure what you mean by you can tell they didn't bother?

Second that. Chrome V Grille ****s all over the grilles fitted to the other models. Hopefully the Twin top cops the same Grille when they Hit Australia.

Makes them Stand out more then.

Apex
26th September 2006, 06:00 AM
Been driving mine for a few weeks now and love it, hard to compare it to the Astra G turbo as we never got them (apart from a couple of special order rag tops).

As for the grill, im in two minds not sure if I like it or not, thinking about a grill similar to the Walkinshaw one.

Red AH SRI T
26th September 2006, 07:59 AM
i third the comment on the grille.

Have a look at what Holden has now done with the V Grille.

SRi, Tigra and VXR.

Notice a pattern?

Apex
26th September 2006, 10:30 AM
So it’s an Opel with a Vauxhall grill badged by Holden, makes it feel a bit third hand that’s all im thinking.

I may de-badge the tailgate, and throw an Irmesher (spelling) grill on mine. Or maybe I can come up with my own car branding and re-re-badge it!:p

Shaun
26th September 2006, 11:26 AM
i third the comment on the grille.

Have a look at what Holden has now done with the V Grille.

SRi, Tigra and VXR.

Notice a pattern?

The Upper end of the market is getting a better finish so to speak to make them stand out.

Which i think is what needed to happen.

Wraith
26th September 2006, 01:03 PM

eeeerr, this made me absolutely cringe to read !

As Mat said there is a difference to spirited/hard driving and thrashing the hell out of a car without a care in the world as mentioned above.......

I dare say a true car lover will 'NOT' have this attitude !

I'm sure I'm not alone as one person who keeps cars for longer than 3-5 years, in fact I think the majority of people do ! statement above in my view relates more to company and or leased cars, not privately owned.

Good luck to the person who's unfortunate enough to buy your s/h car....

Back to the topic, AH sriT is indeed a beautiful car to drive and look at - still in 2 minds about whether or not to acquire a VXR.

I'll wait until they're common place and see how I go, would love to see a VXR run of the new twin top - that I'd buy immediately !

Shaun
26th September 2006, 04:10 PM
eeeerr, this made me absolutely cringe to read !

As Mat said there is a difference to spirited/hard driving and thrashing the hell out of a car without a care in the world as mentioned above.......

I dare say a true car lover will 'NOT' have this attitude !

I'm sure I'm not alone as one person who keeps cars for longer than 3-5 years, in fact I think the majority of people do ! statement above in my view relates more to company and or leased cars, not privately owned.

Good luck to the person who's unfortunate enough to buy your s/h car....

Back to the topic, AH sriT is indeed a beautiful car to drive and look at - still in 2 minds about whether or not to acquire a VXR.

I'll wait until they're common place and see how I go, would love to see a VXR run of the new twin top - that I'd buy immediately !

From my sources nothing is in the pipe line of a VXR Twin Top. But then again we heard that the VXR Wasnt even in consideration for Australia two years ago.

Things could change.. I too would love to see a Twin Top VXR.

aussie_in_london
26th September 2006, 09:20 PM
the VXR twin top will never happen, the chassie and body flexes to much for the power being put out, a tigra was tested also and scrapped for the VXR touch

on the V-grille front, colour code the silver, looks much better

Alfonzo
26th September 2006, 09:40 PM
I'm glad they've used the Vauxhall grille, sets it apart from the standard grille. Not sure what you mean by you can tell they didn't bother?What I mean is they have just popped off the little griffin logo and slapped a Holden one on. The matt black plastic backing behind the chrome lion just looked cheap close up, and I guess at the time I felt a little ripped off that that was the entire effort they went into what is the highest end 'standard' Astra (standard as in not including the VXR)

I reckon it stands out regardless of the different grille. The bodykit and rims look spectacular.

phat-dave
26th September 2006, 10:01 PM
i guess it depends on what you define as thrashing a car ... do i jump in and caine while cold, no... do i sit there and light up the tyres... no... do i chirp between gears... no... do i flat change.... no...

am i more than prepared to boost it and go through corners quickly, of course... do I regularly do this... of course....do i like to take off quickly from a set of traffic lights... of course.... do i take care of the cars ex & interior... of course, do i ensure it is mechanically sound and cared for... of course

i think many of you need to not contradict your own behavior and step down from the high horse.

i guess your comments of "ooh ahh that is so bad" .. "i pity the secondary owner" .. the above is the reason i am the first owner and not the second, besides i bought it to take advantage of its economy, comfort and prompt accelleration. if i wanted a posing toy i certainly wouldnt of bought an astra

theres a clear line between giving your car a hard time and simply disrespecting and abusing it.

oh and theres actual statistics that show (hardcopy so i cant post a link sorry) the average life of vehicle by the same owner is 28 months

Shaun
27th September 2006, 12:41 AM

Read your comment above.....

Words Like "caine" dont make it sound like you treat the car decently...

Buy your self a Flame proof suit for when you make comments like the above.

phat-dave
27th September 2006, 08:36 AM
i dont think its really necessary shaun, i think many, yourself included should possibly rethink before making comments. but i will agree the word caine was probably used too loosely.

the tread itself is about a guy sitting in a brand new car revving it in the lot then the salesman coming out and revving it to the redline.. all this with 18kms on it... nice... however, this is the behavior of the manufacturers representative, of course it will pass through to the consumer. the above is an example of the attitude of a majority of new car dealerships (regardless of which franchise), i will give you two other examples all of which are my own... a long post is to come...

its 2001 and ive always wanted an ss commodore, i have half the money ive physically saved so my first brand new car was going to be my pride and joy... what a great feeling ... so i buy a brand new vx commodore, look after her, baby her, treat her with the respect she deserves...

what a piece of junk, plagued with problems including two engine rebuilts due to infamous piston slap. after the first rebuild i think okay, its still my baby, shes nice and fresh now, no worries... 12000kms later, its back i take it back and it gets another rebuild, the service manager says to me its partially my fault because these engines need to be driven like i stole it??? ive just spent 2 years saving for half of the purcahse price, got my first loan and my first brand new car and he's telling me to thrash the guts out of it???? and this is the area service manager????

fast track six months after the last rebuilt and i want to get out of the commodore, it failed to upkeep the image in my head of a spanking new v8... so i look to trade on a used s15 and get offered a ridiculous price ... the vyii is just released and does it look sexy or what and how convenient that holden were the only ones to offer a decent trade price on their own product again... so i like the vyii and buy it, but im stuck with another holden...but i lease it because of the hit i took on the vx its not worth using my own dough - so before i hand it back, i get it serviced but i had a meeting early that afternoon and waited for it to be serviced and loe and behold i see a cosmo coloured ss being driven by a young punk entering the intersection near the dealership at nearly a right angle and to my amazement, its my bloody car. needless to say words were exchanged and that dealership did not receive my custom on the new purchase.

so i get to another holden dealership and test drive their brand new ah sri.. salesman gets in and thinks he'll impress me and redlines the gears and starts going around roundabouts at 65-70km/h - mindyou, the car had 8kms when we just into it... and as far as im concerned this is ridiculous behaviour

other than crapping on about holden dealerships, the moral of my story is that these cars cop a hard life from scratch even from the dealers in a demo situation due to the nature of the car. we're talking about vehicles that undergo major research & development and are essentially expected to have a harder than normal life as opposed to the run of the mill base model. you can carrying on as much as you like about my comments of "caining" the car so to speak but my view on vehicles has certainly changed in the past years and i dare say majority of people share the same view as myself... theyre simply a mode of transport not their pride and joys.

though from the comments on this thread, i find it interesting that this forum is full of enthusiasts (many of whom mod their cars and void warranties) that never give their car a hard time??? come on guys, get realistic.

JohnBu
27th September 2006, 09:39 AM
phat-dave

i agree with you, dont abuse it but definately drive it hard, as i dont think it makes a difference to long term reliability, rev it now and ten when its warm, as the turbos rev out quite easy, but thats not to say you should abuse the gearbox, clutch, brakes etc.

i cars that are babied dont seem to last longer than cars that are sensibly driven hard.

regardless, if you bought a turbo, and dont rev it often, you might as well buy the the non turbo.

Shaun
27th September 2006, 10:40 AM
No one saying they dont drive there cars the way the where ment to. I too own a SRi T and yes i like to drive the car the way it was ment to be driving in corners etc.

As for a Manafacturer Rep Salesman are FAR from it. They lack Knowledge of there product which is discraceful. (with the exception a few salesman i have met) They Only know one thing. How to Sweet talk you into it and point out a couple of Features they have learnt along the way.

For example one dealer over the weekend tried telling me the VXR will only come in red. HSV Are not releasing any other colour but Red.

When i said FFS his face was shocked... he argued for some more then i said go look at the HSV Site. So we did and he says ohh.

Its kinda sad that the Public have more idea about what they sell then they do.

Wraith
27th September 2006, 12:34 PM
the VXR twin top will never happen, the chassie and body flexes to much for the power being put out, a tigra was tested also and scrapped for the VXR touch

on the V-grille front, colour code the silver, looks much better

Thanks for this info Aussie, at least now I don't have to hang out in hope.

Now I'll definitely be looking at the VXR hatch more closely and give the twin top turbo a good look over as well when it eventually arrives.

aussie_in_london
28th September 2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks for this info Aussie, at least now I don't have to hang out in hope.

Now I'll definitely be looking at the VXR hatch more closely and give the twin top turbo a good look over as well when it eventually arrives.

no worries mate

the twin top is a very nice car i must say and the 200bhp turbo doesnt go to bad either, still a haridressers car but much better than many on the road at present, looks the part with the roof up, very much a coupe!

Shane

dustbug
29th September 2006, 09:44 AM
So it’s an Opel with a Vauxhall grill badged by Holden, makes it feel a bit third hand that’s all im thinking.

I may de-badge the tailgate, and throw an Irmesher (spelling) grill on mine. Or maybe I can come up with my own car branding and re-re-badge it!:p

I got the Irmscher grill on the front of mine, with an irmscher badge on the back too. Total irmscher car now!

Maybe some HSV badges......... hahaha i'd look like a wanker

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2659/dsc02028gx1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7717/dsc02031ed6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)