PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Detailing

Blue_Dvl
19th September 2006, 08:26 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted some suggestions on a good Exterior Detailing company. I have used VIP before, but only for interior work. I have a lot of swirl marks/light scratches and would like to get a professional exterior cut/polish (with buff) done.

CNBLU
19th September 2006, 09:50 PM
i can recommend someone. cant get you a discount but can guarentee there work!

maloo97
19th September 2006, 10:06 PM
Where are you located ?

MatsHolden
19th September 2006, 10:36 PM
Have a crack at it yourself mate. Can easily get swirl marks and shallow scratches out with the correct polish.

Wraith
20th September 2006, 12:33 PM
Have a crack at it yourself mate. Can easily get swirl marks and shallow scratches out with the correct polish.

Asolutely totally agree......

I don't let ANYONE touch my cars when it comes to cleaning and detailing !

Do it yourself, someone else will never do it as good or with as much care, because they don't love your car as much as you do.

If you don't know how, ask questions and read up some literature on the topic, it's not rocket science and it will give you heaps of satisfaction having done it yourself also - that's MHO.

Pones
20th September 2006, 12:48 PM
If you live in Syd/Central Coast I can give you the number for Aznew Car detailing. A mate of mine runs the business and his work is great guns.

Wraith and Matts holden have a valid point though.

blueraven
20th September 2006, 12:56 PM
do it yourself you lazy git :D

take about $100 and then buy a good (meguirs/autoglym/mothers..i would say meguirs) car wash and 3 stage polish system and soem good polishing pads & buffing cloths (i just use a good towel..missus hates it :D).

if you do it properly it should take about 3 hours, if you really want to do a great job then buy a clay bar too :).

xplosv57
20th September 2006, 03:21 PM

Do it yourself, someone else will never do it as good or with as much care, because they don't love your car as much as you do.

True that!! When it comes to cleaning my car, i do it myself its really not that difficult, however if your after a full detail, better to get a pro, if u use a buffer incorrectly it can strip paint etc!! Lucky for me, i got a detailing dept at work :p !!!

Blue_Dvl
20th September 2006, 04:59 PM
Located in Melbourne, Nah im not that lazy, i have run some meguires paint cleaner, then some gold class polish when i bought the car, and its very shiney, but still has a lot of fine "spider webs" ive heard it called. I was told this can be rectified with a buff...... im not willing to use the buff myself, as I dont want to burn through the clear.

Should i perhaps try ScratchX?? or similar scratch remover?? is AutoGlym a better quality polish than meguires??

What are the best type of polishing rags to use for removal.... i have been using the Meguires applicator pads for putting on.

KID_SRi
20th September 2006, 05:17 PM
I highly Recommend. http://www.finalinspection.com.au
Its pricey, But its the Best Job you'll get in Melbourne.

Alfonzo
20th September 2006, 06:16 PM
Asolutely totally agree......

Do it yourself, someone else will never do it as good or with as much care, because they don't love your car as much as you do.Yeah, I agree with this. I'm very particular about my car's appearance, and I was totally unimpressed after paying someone to do it for me once. Mind you, it was a 'cbf' effort on my behalf, because I had mass tar down both sides of the car from where I'd driven back and forth through freshly laid bitumen, and I really didn't want to sit on my arse on the concrete for hours on end polishing it away. So in that sense the money paid was kind of justified.

What pissed me off the most however was that after he spent 5 hours working on my Vectra, he wrote ASTRA on the receipt. Ironically, it seemed this detailer's attention to detail wasn't too detailed...

ultim8DTM5
20th September 2006, 07:53 PM
I wanna take you to a Clay bar!

Jerry Crockford
20th September 2006, 08:46 PM
Detailing?

Couple of things I have unearthed:

1. Have bought products online from www.waxit.com.au (http://www.waxit.com.au) Very helpful. Great service. Fast delivery. Recommend 'em. They also have 'how to' info on their site.

2. I found a great aussie detailing site http://www.detailparadise.com.au/index.php For inspiration, look at the before/after shots (especially of black cars!) in community> forums > show 'n shine.

Cheers,

Jerry

Blue_Dvl
20th September 2006, 09:53 PM
I highly Recommend. http://www.finalinspection.com.au
Its pricey, But its the Best Job you'll get in Melbourne.

oops, i neglected to read that they are in melbourne.......... I think their Stage 2 exterior details seems what im after. Will let you know the results.

thanks

MatsHolden
20th September 2006, 09:54 PM
Should i perhaps try ScratchX?? or similar scratch remover?? is AutoGlym a better quality polish than meguires??

What are the best type of polishing rags to use for removal.... i have been using the Meguires applicator pads for putting on.

Yeh you could use Meguiars ScratchX, I personally use Meguiars Nxt Generation Tech Wax and it removes any ugly swirl marks and light scratches. For application use the Meguiars foam applicator pads as you have been doing and get a Meguiars microwipe polishing cloth. Comes up an absolute treat.

Lt Ketch
21st September 2006, 08:33 AM
I have used info off this site in the past for my car!

http://www.properautocare.com/

Petey
21st September 2006, 09:28 PM
if you really want to get rid of those "swirls" then the only way is with a polisher... doing it by hand just wont cut it (no pun intended)

there's a great section in the www.detailparadise.com.au website of professional's in all States who could do the job properly, especially if you dont want to purchase a machine polisher yourself...

have a look, they do showcase their work & you can contact them directly for a quote/price.

whilst I always do my own detailing, I do respect others who would rather pay a pro to do it correctly too. Not everyone has the equipment & time to detail their ride!

Lt Ketch
21st September 2006, 09:54 PM
I agree with Petey, a polisher is the only way to do it properly

BUT

it is real easy to do significant damage to your paintwork with such a tool if you are not real careful.

I bought a polisher last year that had a slow enough speed to polish a car - most orbital/rotating sanders cant rotate slow enough - and spent quite a while getting a shine I was proud of. I was though very cautious about the process and am certain a pro could do a lot lot better than me!

MatsHolden
21st September 2006, 10:39 PM
Hmm i beg to differ, I have no swirl marks whatsoever and I only do it by hand.

M40COO
17th October 2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Guys... loads of sites showing how you can clean your car.

For the amateur buffer, us lot in the UK use a Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher... which has variable speeds and random orbits so as not to concentrate solely on one spot and risk damaging paint.

These machines are available from the states, and are idiot proof !
Very hard to do any damage using them.

Heres some good links:
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/guides.html (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/guides.html)[/URL]
[URL="http://www.properautocare.com/problemsolving.html"]http://www.properautocare.com/problemsolving.html (http://www.polishedbliss)

It's an addictive part of car care when you get into it...some waxes costing $1000 dollars Aus easily (zymol) !

Lt Ketch
17th October 2006, 09:23 PM
M4oCOO I would LOVE a porter cable, price wise these seem to be the bee's knees BUT here in AUS we have a 240V power supply not the American 110, what Voltage is your power delivery in Scotland?

M40COO
17th October 2006, 10:56 PM
We have 240v also....apart from the machine, we also need to buy step down transformers to go to 110v, oh and a plug for the machine to fit it !

Our building sites / industry works with 110v so transformers are readily available.
such as:
http://www.airlinktransformers.com/prodpics/31-2lg.jpg

mr_sikma
17th October 2006, 11:44 PM

i had my black car polished by a buffer a while back, and there was alot of swirl marks when looking at it in the sun!

also the paint wasnt heaps smooth and was a bit rough to touch.

also the paint was only about a year old!

i find that with alot of black cars they are left with swirl marks? why is that?

my mates white cars never show!!!

Lt Ketch
18th October 2006, 12:02 AM
my mates white cars never show!!!

They 99% probablility have them, you just can't see them cause they show up a lighter than the rest of the car, obviously on a white or silver car this makes them almost invisible to our eyes! On the plus side for those with dark cars is that when trying to fix this problem its easier to see if your effort is working!

As Petey said check out http://www.detailparadise.com.au/ there is heaps of info, and the show n shine section is well worth a look to see what can be achieved! http://www.detailparadise.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=3

Blue_Dvl
18th October 2006, 10:10 AM
well i have given it a try myself. Ran Meguirs paint cleaner, then their new Next Gen Tech Wax...... never been as shiney. Even when its dirty its not shiney.

It still has a few minor swirls/scratches which i think would come out with a buff, but for now im pretty happy with it.......

Wraith
18th October 2006, 12:52 PM

I absolutely agree also.

I have removed swirls easily enough by hand and it is 'THE ONLY' way I'll ever do it - a close mate of mine who owns his own detailing buisness agrees, he uses a machine, but only because it's easier and saves time when doing it for a living - but on your own car once a blue moon, carefully doing it by hand is far better.

If you must use a polishing machine, make sure you know 'EXACTLY' what your doing or you'll end up with a disasterous result.........

I've seen some in my time - not a pretty picture, the really bad ones requiring a re-spray to rectify !

Jerry Crockford
18th October 2006, 08:16 PM
never been as shiney. Even when its dirty its not shiney.

Um....

I'm getting all excited about doing my car myself by hand. :)

But that bit I quoted has me confused. :confused:

Are you saying it ISN'T shiney?:o

Or that it IS shiney?:o

Did you mean to say "Even when it is dirty it is shiney"? :confused:

What's the go? If that's what you meant, then I'll get all excited again.

JohnBu
19th October 2006, 11:26 AM
If I wasn't married, I'd SLEEP with my Astra convertible!!

i find that disturbing..

Lt Ketch
19th October 2006, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Crockford http://www.opelaus.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=158067#post158067)
If I wasn't married, I'd SLEEP with my Astra convertible!!

i find that disturbing..

Very disturbing, hardtop maybe but not the convertible!!!!!!

Wraith
19th October 2006, 01:18 PM
Hahahaha LOL guys it's a soft top thing - you either love em or not.....

I'm with Jerry, but not going as far as to sleep with my vert :D

imay
19th October 2006, 01:21 PM
As long as it's his convertible that he's sleeping with, why should anyone else worry.

Just keep away from MINE!

xplosv57
19th October 2006, 07:56 PM
So do u like her with her top on or off heheheehe!!!!

Miker84
21st November 2006, 10:59 PM
Kinda new to the site and have been reading these sorts of posts regarding detailing.

I've got a Black 03 Astra SXi - metallic black. Bought it 2 weeks ago - looked great paint in very good condition, engine only done 16,000kms...

I've bought a high pressure washer that works with a bucket and got new sponges etc. I spent an hour and a half washing the car in the late arvo - looked pretty good...UNTIL...the following day- I parked at work outside on the street, walked out at lunch, sun shining bright - heaps of swirl marks on the doors and bonnet.....my jaw dropped!

My previous car was a off-white (non-metallic) old school Mazda - paint always looked great and polished it regularly.

I've read about the many products out there but was hoping to get some specific info/suggestions/opinions from those who own BLACK METALLIC cars or have used products specifically for BLACK cars.
Which specific products do you use?
What is your process?
How often do you wash/polish etc?

MatsHolden....mr_sikma...blueraven...any ideas?

Thanks all!

digifish
21st November 2006, 11:05 PM
I've read about the many products out there but was hoping to get some specific info/suggestions/opinions from those who own BLACK METALLIC cars or have used products specifically for BLACK cars.

What is your process?

Thanks all!

Three videos here to watch...

http://www.meguiars.com/video/index.cfm?vid=1

Meguiars stuff is good.

digifish

MatsHolden
21st November 2006, 11:10 PM
Kinda new to the site and have been reading these sorts of posts regarding detailing.

I've got a Black 03 Astra SXi - metallic black. Bought it 2 weeks ago - looked great paint in very good condition, engine only done 16,000kms...

I've bought a high pressure washer that works with a bucket and got new sponges etc. I spent an hour and a half washing the car in the late arvo - looked pretty good...UNTIL...the following day- I parked at work outside on the street, walked out at lunch, sun shining bright - heaps of swirl marks on the doors and bonnet.....my jaw dropped!

My previous car was a off-white (non-metallic) old school Mazda - paint always looked great and polished it regularly.

What is your process?

Thanks all!

Mate I have the same colour as you and use to get the swirl marks a long time ago before i did something about it. I Recommend the following...

A lambs wool mit for washing... Meguiars have them. about $20
Meguiars Gold Class Wash... very good wash and not to pricey about $12

Meguiars nxt Generation Tech Wax... FANTASTIC removes all swirl marks and light scratches and leaves a deep wet look gloss. Since i've been using this i'm forever getting comments on my paint work. costs about 40 to 50 bucks.

Apply the nxt gen tech wax with the foam applicator that comes with it.

Buff off with a Meguiars microfibre polishing cloth.

I wash once a week. And polish/wax every 2 or 3 months.
I will continue to use these products on all my future cars!

Hope that helps.

Miker84
21st November 2006, 11:43 PM
Awesome guys!

Thanks heaps, I'll go and get some products in the next few days and give it a red hot go over the weekend!

So pleased to hear that it's not ruined forever!

I'll post pics soon!

More comments welcome....

:-)

ultim8DTM5
22nd November 2006, 12:54 PM
Whilst Meguiars is good, it is not great. Personally I'm using my remaining Meguiars stuff until its empty, then spending up big on a random orbiter and some nice gear from Poorboys.

I've also got a black car, and this is the procedure you should follow when detailing-

1. Wash.
Start with the wheels first and use a seperate sponge and seperate bucket. As brake dust particles are very fine, they will not get washed out when you rinse the sponge and are very likely to scratch your paint if you use it on the body of the car. Usually I use another dedicated mitt to do the bottom edge of the car (eg lower front spoiler, side skirts etc) as these parts are far more dirtier.

For the body of the car, use two buckets - one filled with cold water, and one mixed with shampoo of your choice. Most detailers I know use Johnson's Baby Wash (as it's ph balanced) however I use Meguiars Soft Gel wash.

Use a microfibre washing mitt and wash your panels in either vertical or horizontal motions - do NOT use circular motions. This will cut down on your swirl marks, as light reflects more off swirls that are circular (360 degrees) than straight (180 degrees). Usually I use horizontal strokes on the side of the car and vertical strokes on the bonnet and roof.

Important - after working one section of the car, RINSE the mitt in the cold water bucket before re-soaping in the other bucket. This is very important, as you want to remove the contaminants you've just cleaned off the mitt before putting them back onto your car which can swirl/scratch the paint.

Hose the panel before moving on. Wash/hose all the panels, and once the car is soap-free, a nice tip is to remove the nozzle from the hose and just let "loose" water run over the panels as it will make drying easier. Use a microfibre chamois to dry the car, and don't forget door jams.

2. Swirl remove
After washing, hosing and drying your car the next step is to remove the swirls. For this you can use a dedicated swirl remover, however you must be very careful as some are abrasive as a usual swirl remover will contain very fine minerals to "fill" any swirls that are in fact scratches.

What you want is a very mild swirl remover. If you visit detailing sites, you can actually buy swirl removers of varying strength but it is always wise to get the mildest one because;
a) most of our cars are new and don't have "old" paintwork with embedded swirls,
b) clear coat is very, very thin and an aggressive swirl remover will remove it, and
c) the more frequent you care for your car, the less swirls it has!

Currently I use Meguiars Paint Cleaner as a swirl remover and find it works rather well. When I've emptied the bottle I'll be trying Poorboys SSR1.

Invest in half a dozen applicator pads and microfibre towels, as you will need them for the rest of the detail.

If doing it by hand (which I guess everyone will do for beginners) apply about a 10c piece of swirl remover onto the applicator pad and work into the panel. Read the instructions on your swirl remover - some require it to "haze" dry first before removal with the microfibre towel, others can be off straight away.

3. Clay bar.
After applying your swirl remover, use a clay bar on the paint. This is the finish that everyone loves, because you can immediately see and feel the difference. Clay bar removes the contaminants that are sitting on top of the clear coat, giving you a very smooth and very clean appearance.

Before you start, rub your fingers along the paint work.
It is important to use a lubricant otherwise you will not be able to use the clay bar very effectively. I use Meguiars Quik Detailing spray because funnily enough, it comes for free with Meguiars Clay Bar. AFAIK you cannot buy Meguiars Clay Bar seperately, although I will be trying Pinnacle Clay Bar next.

Use a generous amount of lubricant over a selected panel, then use the clay bar to rub back and forth along the panel. A lot of pressure is not required as the lubricant and clay bar will do the job for you. You will notice the underside of the clay bar getting dirty, so turn the clay bar into itself to get a clean side before continuing. After doing a panel, wipe off the lubricant residue with a NEW microfibre towel. I usually do the panels twice, because my car (barina) is small and it gives me about a 10% better finish.

If you drop the clay bar, forget it, its cactus.

After clay bar, run your fingers along the paint. Smooth as glass! Speaking of glass, you can also apply clay bar to your windscreens and it will make them nice and smooth also.

4. Polish.
After removing all those surface grains, its time to buff the paint right up. Use a quality polish, again, I've been using Meguiars as I have it but anything from Zaino, Pinnacle, Swissol or P21S will be more than adequate. Use a NEW applicator for polishing. Again, apply about a 10c piece-size dollop onto the applicator paint and work into the paint work.

Follow the instructions on your bottle for how long you should leave the polish on the car, and then buff off with a NEW microfibre towel. Depending on your satisfaction with the finish will depend on how many times you polish the car, or a particular area. I usually use very, very small circles with my fingertips on the applicator pad and it is very labour intensive (hence why I'm buying a random orbiter).

If you see a beautiful reflection in the paint, and its nice and smooth and deep, you're done.

5. Waxing
After all your hard work, you want to protect your finish. This is done by waxing, which is sealing the finish against the elements. You can use a natural or synthetic sealent, the most common is a natural Carnauba wax in either paste or liquid form. What is Carnauba wax? Its a great extract, usually from Brazil, that does wonders to protect your paint. You will often see Carnauba content as a percentage on the bottle, and the rule of thumb is the higher the better.

However, you cannot get 100% pure Carnauba wax. Well, you can, but it is unworkable. Carnauba requires additives so that you can work it into the paint, otherwise it would be solid and totally useless. Most Carnauba waxes are around the 20-30% mark, however the higher you go the more tech the additives have to be and the more expensive it will cost. For example, Swissol make a beautiful Carnauba wax with 55% content, however a tub will set you back $700.00. Think thats a bit rich, well two tubs of 60% grade from Swissol will cost $3,395.00!!!

There are also waxes specifically suited to darker hues, as well as Japanese vehicles (as Japanese use a JIS-3, multilayered paint process in manufacturing their vehicles).

Anyways, back to waxing.
Before waxing, tape off the rubber parts of your car (mouldings, washer jets, door handles, window seals) as it is very difficult to remove wax from plastic and rubber.

Use a NEW applicator pad, again, in 10c dollops, and work into the paint. I use Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax which is almost empty, so I will be trying Swissol Saphir next. I usually wax the whole car, then go back to the first panel before rubbing off with a NEW microfibre towel, as the wax is then a fine haze however read the instructions on the wax you use.

You'll usually find that on a wax with a higher Carnauba content, the instructions will say to leave the car in the sun for a few minutes before buffing off.

I also find it handy to have a wax remover on standby (such as Swissol Wax Blaster, or Mothers Back to Black) if there is any wax on parts of the car I don't want.

There you go, you've just detailed your car!

Notes: personally after I use an applicator pad, I place them in zip-lock bags and label them on which process I used them on. This will help with cross polinating your products. I also machine wash my microfibre towels after use. You can also buy specific wheel cleaners/polish/sealants for your alloys. If you do buy wheel specific, make sure it's acid-free as once you hear the story of the Porsche owner destroying a $20,000.00 set of custom alloys due to a generic wheel cleaner, you'll never make the same mistake! P21S wheel cleaner gel spray is a great item.

A general rule - if you drop it, throw it out. This includes applicator pads and importantly, clay bars! The last thing you want is small grains of dirt from concrete being worked into your paint.

For frequency, I would like to wash/Quik Detail weekly but due to time constraints to it fortnightly, as I do not drive the car daily.

Every month I do the above, plus do the rubbers and external plastics and a general vacuum + inside glass clean.

Every quarter I do the whole shebang less clay bar, although if the car is looking particularly ratty I clay bar (maybe 2-3 times a year).

Bear in mind that my car is black, a 2001 model and has 79,000kms on it. For the first three years of its life it was driven daily on the highway, parked in shopping centres so has its fair share of minor (and major) paint chips. In that time I waxed maybe once a year.

For the last 18 months I've maintained a good regime and the paintwork is not very nice indeed. I'll be buying a Bosch random orbiter shortly to make it less labour intensive, although one isnt required on a small car unless you are really lazy. If you do family and friend's cars like I do, and some have large 4WDs its a bit tough to do buy hand. If you are a beginner buy a random orbiter as opposed to a rotary orbiter, as by virtue of being random oscilliating, you are less likely to damage your paintwork if you keep it in the one spot.

I'll let you know how my random orbiter adventures go, which will probably be sometime next year.

MatsHolden
22nd November 2006, 01:06 PM
Yeh common sense to start washing from the top and work your way down...

ultim8DTM5
22nd November 2006, 01:14 PM
I also forgot, detail out of the sun and invest in some large, halogen floodlamps - they will show swirls, even if you think you don't have any!

MatsHolden
22nd November 2006, 01:17 PM
invest in some large, halogen floodlamps - they will show swirls, even if you think you don't have any!

lol what's it matter if they be seen in the sunlight? Unless of course you're presenting the car in a show under lights.

ultim8DTM5
22nd November 2006, 01:51 PM
The idea is that with halogen lamps, more swirls are evident so you can remove them. If you have a good eye, you can see swirls in daylight from 1 metre. The same swirls you can see 30cm will show up 1-2m away under lamps.

Kinda like saying Stevie Wonder doesn't care about swirls because he can't see them. They are still there, and someone can see them.

MatsHolden
22nd November 2006, 04:14 PM
Kinda like saying Stevie Wonder doesn't care about swirls because he can't see them. They are still there, and someone can see them.

Like the "get a light coloured car because it doesn't get as dirty" philosiphy... lol

Blue_Dvl
22nd November 2006, 08:25 PM
yeah i meant even when its dirty, its still shiney...... Nxt Gen Wax is brilliant, but im still not 110% happy. Have got it booked in next week for a professional detail next week. Will post pics of b4 and after.

if its a Turbo Convertible i might want to sleep with it LOL

Petey
25th November 2006, 11:08 PM
NXT is a very good & easy to use wax/sealant but it only covers up or fills in cobwebbing swirls. It will not be able to remove them as its not a "polish"...

For dark colours you'll need to clean the paint, clay it & then polish it. (The old term cut & polish step.) This preparation will be the key to a swirl free finish.

The wax or sealant added last, only protects the finish...

To keep a finish free of cobwebs / swirls... wash with a quality lambswool wash mitt with a quality car wash... Dry with a Waffle weave microfibre cloth, the old chamois are dinosaurs & will cause swirls.

If you must use a commercial car wash (we are in drought in most places now) DO NOT USE THEIR BRUSH... use their spray with washing solution & then rinse... it'll do an adequate job until you can wash it properly......

Darker colours are a bit harder to keep swirl free, but really pay-off.......

digifish
25th November 2006, 11:19 PM
NXT is a very good & easy to use wax/sealant but it only covers up or fills in cobwebbing swirls. It will not be able to remove them as its not a "polish"...

For dark colours you'll need to clean the paint, clay it & then polish it. (The old term cut & polish step.) This preparation will be the key to a swirl free finish.

Meguiars NXT vs Cleaner Wax, Carnauba Wax (I have them all)...

NXT is about 15-20% better than Cleaner Wax/Carnauba Wax at some light angles. It does not really fill in that many swirls/cobwebs. It's all great stuff but the NXT is not a miracle worker.

Cleaner Wax, Carnauba Wax is almost as good...save the $15 :)

Remember that you do not want to polish very often given you are removing clearcoat/topcoat/paint depending on your paint.

digifish

Miker84
26th November 2006, 10:54 AM
Great posts/advice all! Thanks!

I've bought it all - mits, wash, cleaner, clay, polish, wax...

I'm borrowing a mates halogens light and getting into it today...I'll be taking pictures as I go...Post em up tomorrow to show you how I go!

Cheers all...

MatsHolden
26th November 2006, 12:43 PM
When first looking at Nxt gen, I contacte Meguiars to queery whether it is just a wax or is it polish/wax. They said that there would be no benefit in using a pure polish and then using nxt gen. I also asked whether it just 'fills' light scratches and swirl marks and they stated that it removes them, not fills them. I havn't polished/waxed my car for at least 6 months, and wash the car once a week so any wax surface that would be 'filling' scratches and swirl marks would have worn off by now, which would mean that scratches and swirl marks would be showing their ugly faces, but they're not which would suggest that it does in fact remove them not just fill them.

ultim8DTM5
26th November 2006, 08:09 PM
I disagree digifish.

NXT is good, but you cannot say it is better than Carnauba wax. Carnauba is an ingredient in a type of wax - it is not a brand. I know of many, many Carnauba waxes that are much better than NXT.

digifish
26th November 2006, 08:29 PM
I disagree digifish.

NXT is good, but you cannot say it is better than Carnauba wax. Carnauba is an ingredient in a type of wax - it is not a brand. I know of many, many Carnauba waxes that are much better than NXT.

I didn't say it was better? I said it was not much better than Meguiars Cleaner wax or Meguiars Carnauba wax.

digifish.

ultim8DTM5
27th November 2006, 07:43 PM
Meguiars NXT vs Cleaner Wax, Carnauba Wax (I have them all)...

NXT is about 15-20% better than Cleaner Wax/Carnauba Wax at some light angles. It does not really fill in that many swirls/cobwebs. It's all great stuff but the NXT is not a miracle worker.

Eh, looks like it to me...maybe specify next time :)

Petey
29th November 2006, 06:38 PM
been using NXTfor 2 years & it definitely does not cut or remove swirls / cobwebbing... it may round of their edges but that would be it.

it fills them with a lovely glossy finish. but only for a short time.

carnuaba is an organic wax (comes from trees), whereas polymer sealants are man made waxes (made by chemists)... use whichever you like the appearance of & you find easiest to use...

cheers