PDA

View Full Version : Resonator Installed - Power Gain or Loss?

lowey22
16th September 2006, 02:21 PM
Now some of you are going to say I'm crazy (the hoons will anyway), but I got a resonator installed on my car today ($80). My exhaust is a 2 inch from the cat back, nothing fancy for a NA 1.8. Was just over the drone, it still makes a nice noise but not over the top, good sound to cruise to, but not annoying and still arcs up when I'm giving it a bit.

Anyway, the exhaust guy said that I might experience some power gain low end and mid range, but mainly off the line, due to an increase in back pressure. I've only drived it for a little while, but it does seem a little more responsive off the line and a bit smoother mid range and a less noticable flat spot just before 4000rpm.

Just wondering what your experience is with this and any thoughts, comments or rants that you may have :D

Mr T
16th September 2006, 02:58 PM
I've got a resonator, I agree with the dude at the shop, if you do infact lose power it would be at the top end.

Gildo
16th September 2006, 03:06 PM
yehh agreed, when i put my resonator back in, (with my old exhaust system) deff made a difference and improved drivability

lowey22
18th September 2006, 10:42 AM
cool. it is not all just in my mind then...

InsaneAsylum
18th September 2006, 10:58 AM
you did the right thing regardless of power change. exhaust drone is gay

sri05
18th September 2006, 03:53 PM
If it is a straight through resonator (that is, it does not have directional louvres or an expansion chamber) it would make no difference to back pressure.

It will only absorb some of the lower frequencies.

low astra
18th September 2006, 05:39 PM
ive gone back to a full standard exhaust and i think mine feels better to drive, i do however have the air intake modified a little

the standard exhaust is acuatly really well designed on the astra's

beep beep sri
19th September 2006, 04:41 PM
i went back to standard on my car aswell and have always said it drives better from low down to mid rpm. yes i lost maybe a little up top but how often do you drive at 4500rpm+

MatsHolden
19th September 2006, 05:21 PM
but how often do you drive at 4500rpm+

Too much.:D

low astra
19th September 2006, 07:20 PM
how often do you drive at 4500rpm+

all the time,

mine seems to go fairly well, i managed to run side by side with a vtir integra the other day, surley that isnt to bad for a stock 1.8L astra

lowey22
20th September 2006, 08:52 AM
but how often do you drive at 4500rpm+

lol, yeah, all the time. dont think ive lost any top end, maybe 5500+, but im not past that much. mines pulls pretty well up to 5000 and just beyond, then it just revs a lot with not much effect (although it does depend what gear it's in).

Clint
20th September 2006, 12:31 PM
the standard exhaust is acuatly really well designed on the astra's

the one on the vectra is not!

on one of the cylinders immediatly after the exhaust leaves the engine there is a sharp 90 degree turn in the enhaust pipe to the left, then another one taking the pipe down with the rest

low astra
20th September 2006, 07:07 PM
perhaps it would be interesting to run a standard exhaust with a set of tuned extractors,

thats what im thinking about doin if i can find some at a decient price

PaulyJ
20th September 2006, 11:02 PM
That could work...

Gildo
21st September 2006, 09:33 AM
nah it doesnt....
i ran mine with that on the dyno (headers stock back) ....only got a 5.4kw atw increase from stock....but with a full system and headers got a 7.8 kw atw

SSS_Hoon
21st September 2006, 10:03 AM
not a actual power increase as such it is more o responsiveness increase, there may be a slight increase in power well toruqe actually.

i have a resonator too 20" spiral with 2.5or3" internal dia not sure now i think maybe 2.5" the first one was too raspy up top this one is ok still raspy up top but utill further in the rev range.

my car with the stock zorst was crap as all hell would not rev it is much ore freeer now with the full zorst.

i would never go back to stock again on my car, the only thing i might do is get rid of the milo tin i got at the back.

SSS_Hoon

low astra
21st September 2006, 06:04 PM
nah it doesnt....
i ran mine with that on the dyno (headers stock back) ....only got a 5.4kw atw increase from stock....but with a full system and headers got a 7.8 kw atw

well just goin by figgures would i would think the headers give a more noticeable gain, considering u got a 2.4kw gain from the full system

beep beep sri
21st September 2006, 07:53 PM
mine seems to go fairly well, i managed to run side by side with a vtir integra the other day, surley that isnt to bad for a stock 1.8L astra

im sorry but the guy in the vtir musnt be able to drive. ive been in a vtir (friend works for honda) and must say it killed my sri when we lined them up. the barina sri is just faster than the astra sri (non turbo) so i doubt a stock 1.8 astra would even get a look in.

low astra
22nd September 2006, 07:01 PM
posible that he couldnt drive, however, there was 2 i was playing with last sunday, and it was the same outcome with both cars speak to eruo4c (matt) he saw the avtivities

Gildo
22nd September 2006, 10:34 PM
must be 2 bad drivers........

beep beep sri
23rd September 2006, 10:24 AM
if we are talking non turbo then id have to see it to beleive it. turbo astra and id start to beleive it.