PDA

View Full Version : Images in signatures...

NUTTTR
14th September 2006, 08:57 AM
I'm all for a static picture in the signature, helps the page look nice, i don't mind seeing them, but lately, more and more, people have stupidly large file sizes for their images. Moving GIF's in particular. Some people have images that are 900kB (or at least one person!) and others are about 500kB... I don't care about the bandwidth, but it absolutely kills my IE trying to load up 2 of those images while scrolling the page. I'm on a corporate network, so it's fastish, but for the first 10 seconds or so of loading the page IE is dying trying to swap and process the images!
Can we have a restriction on the sizing? I don't have a problem with a static 900kb image, that doesn't kill the computer, but 2 moving gifs on every second page does.

SSS_Hoon
14th September 2006, 10:01 AM
i have no problem with them, although i have never really noticed them either.

i think there should be a limit as there is for the av's though.

maybe a poll of different sizes is in order?

SSS_Hoon

PaulyJ
14th September 2006, 10:26 AM
Mine is a moving GIF, but its only 75kb.
I know what you mean, thats why when making mine, i made sure the size of it was as small as possible.

MK
14th September 2006, 02:44 PM
i have dialup connection...(members cars section of our forum i don't even bother visiting ha ha!)

yes, this is a reasonable suggestion to limit the size of moving signatures on our forum...Thank you PaulyJ

Turblue
14th September 2006, 06:49 PM
I can't limit the size of images that have been linked from offsite. All I can do is turn that feature off when it comes to sig pics.

I am confident that this can be "self-policed." If you find a large sig pic, PM the member and ask that they reduce it. I am sure that they will take care of it. Otherwise, PM me and I will remove the image from the sig.

Simple fix. :)

NUTTTR
14th September 2006, 09:39 PM
Cool. I think a reasonable size is 75kb. Any bigger it's just too much if it's moving, etc...

pred8r
14th September 2006, 10:21 PM
Mine is just over 7k is that ok? :D

If you use firefox, get the adblock addon and filter the pics out (RMB, adblock image)
Then they get filtered and wont even load.

my avatar is 15k :eek:

platypus
15th September 2006, 07:19 AM
turblue - there is a few scripts around to solve this issue - it can also limit the size of images within posts (so no more un-needed scrolling)

i'll have a browse again for it

oneightoo
15th September 2006, 08:17 AM
does my signature slow your pc down?

if it does i'll remove the gif..

lowey22
15th September 2006, 09:39 AM
no 182! i love your signiture!

Lt Ketch
15th September 2006, 10:25 AM
182, when i see your signature picture I always feel special.

MK
15th September 2006, 01:16 PM
i believe the self discipline to keep your signatures and pictures (member cars section especially for me, or should i say my dial up) to reasonable size is the best.
unfortunately some of us are limited (not by choice) to slow connections and as a result of posting large pics and large size gifs our experience and participation in the forum is some how limited...
sometimes i just give up with loading some topics because i cant see a pic or gif signature (PaulyJ yours loads up immidiately, others take time unfortunately) and as such have no idea what the topic is really about.

anyway, i believe other members know what i am talking about and will assist as best as they can...

pred8r, thanks for the tip, i will see if i can succesfuly install the addon's to the firefox i use.
platypus, sound promising mate.

platypus
16th September 2006, 09:54 AM
ok i only see a few :( i DID have it on PhpBB however....
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118048
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125500
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124582

MK
22nd September 2006, 11:41 AM
i just got broadband...but still believe unnecessary size of images and attachments is not needed...i really prefer links to servers that host the photos.

angels666
13th October 2006, 12:14 AM
Sorta on topic ... how do I get my image to even appear? I've shrunk it within the guidelines and uploaded it, it shows in the edit signature window but doesn't show in my profile :(

PaulyJ
14th October 2006, 12:11 AM
Upload it to an offsite domain, something like www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com)
They are free to use, and really simple aswell.
Once you upload the photo there, put the link in you sigature, and thats it. Done.
Exhibit a
\/
\/
\/