PDA

View Full Version : Holden? Opel?

Jerry Crockford
10th September 2006, 01:58 PM
I drive an 02 Convertible 2.2 manual.

I'm curious about the reference to 'de badging' Opel vehicles on this site http://www.m1gst.com/vb/index.php

I gather that the desire to do this is driven (pardon the pun) by the perceived poor quality of General Motors product.

Over here in Australia, people are DESPERATE not to be seen in a Holden, and go to great lengths to re-badge them as Opel.

So, if THOSE guys in the UK hate to be seen in a GM Opel, and WE over in Australia don't want to to be seen in a GM Holden, what does THAT say about the perception of GM product.

Frankly, I don't think I have ever seen this phenomenon with any other product! I have an Apple computer.... a Seiko watch... a JVC sound system.... the thought wouldn't OCCUR to me to re-badge any of 'em.

Truly, for a company to be so poorly thought of that it's customers (who are delighted with the vehicle they own) want to keep the source of their purchase a secret and re-badge it as something else is an amazing achievement!

Cheers,

Jerry

Wraith
10th September 2006, 02:29 PM
I could not agree with you more on the above subject Jerry.

I for one have 2 Opels/Holdens - Astra and Calibra and as far as I'm concerned I will never re-badge or "opelise" either one of them !!!

I have actually re-bagded my Calibra, but with newer all chrome later model Holden ones - they look shmick.

Besides what you've pointed out above, IMHO the Holden logo badge looks better than the Opel badge and you don't have to worry about low life scum a###holes knocking em off and wrecking your paint job in the process.......

Yes it is amusing to see how people from different countries re-badge their cars, like many GTO/Monaro's I've seen on UK sites who've re-badged theirs with HSV logo badges - fair enough, the HSV badge is much better looking than the Vauxhall one.

Mr T
10th September 2006, 02:32 PM
fair point...and good observation.

I re-badged mine 'cause it is an Opel that Holden re-badged to sell in Australia as a Holden...so I changed it back to it's original designation.

If, however, and for what ever stupid reason, I bought a current Barina or Viva I highly doubt that I would go to such lenghs...

Misguidedangel
10th September 2006, 02:58 PM
If I bought a viva or new barina I would definately replace the holden badges with Daewoo ones... just to stick one up GM for badging daewoos as holdens :D

oneightoo
10th September 2006, 03:01 PM
i love my holdens, always have..

i just returned my calibra back to it's original badging.. could have gone with vaux badges, but i like the flash far more..

R3N
10th September 2006, 03:11 PM
It's all about setting yourself apart from the crowd... individuality and looks. Rims, bodykit, tints etc. Some people in Germany where our cars come badged as Opels are rebadged as Holdens.

It's like some Commodores rebadged with the Chevy bowtie (which doesn't make sense as it was a Holden in the first place). Other examples would be Beemer owners who replace their roundels with Hamman or AC ones, or Merc owners who replace their MB hood caps with Carlsson, Brabus or Kleemann.

I've always loved the Opel Blitz much more than the Holden lion. Different people have different reasons as to why they would to that. I didn't bother much at first, but when I got my front coupe grill (which looks 10x better than the normal one IMO) the rest of my car looks wierd with just the front bearing an opel badge, so bit by bit I changed the badges.

Not many people know what an Opel is and most of them rarely notice our badging, they just think its a Holden... and I'm fine with that.

PaulyJ
10th September 2006, 03:12 PM
I did mine not because i dont like Holden, but because my engine says 'Opel', engine plates say 'Opel', so i rebadged it back to what it is... an Opel.

MK
10th September 2006, 03:26 PM
i come from Poland, Opels are aplenty there! i was brought up with them (opel kadett) i came to Australia and owned many Holden cars (Commodores and so on) and never thought of rebadging them as something else, i liked the lion logo.
when i purchased my Astra H i knew its origin (Belgium - Opel factory) so i decided to rebadge it to Opel.

i have many friends in Poland, most have Opel cars (Astra, Calibra, Corsa, Kadett etc) some of them stay with Opel badges, some badge them as OPC (no Opel blitz) some did badge them as Holden's!

its all up to the individual...and that's why we are all here...all individuals.

as for putting Holden down or trying to not be associated with the brand...well, that's also up to the individual... my uncle for example sees all Holden cars as LEMONS, only because of very bad experiance with owning them and maintaining them...so when i told him what car i just purchased (Astra H) he laughed and said i bought a LEMON, but when i explained it was built in Europe and not Korea he definiately changed his point of view about some Holden models...

i have a friend who is an Astra G SRi Turbo owner and he will never Opelize it becuase his perception of the Holden brand is positive...

in the end...all up to individual likes and dislikes

Alfonzo
10th September 2006, 04:16 PM
I did mine originally because I liked the look of the Opel badge on my grille better than the Holden one. And, save for the rims and rear spoiler, for a bog stock family sedan Vectra I got a great deal of double-take looks from people in shopping centres / bus stops, which was awesome. I had to spend ~$5,500 on a Lancer to achieve that, for something that was less than $200 on the Vec.

I even had a workmate comment that he thought it added value to the look of the car. Hell, I even got mass respect from a Volvo dealer who thought I direclty imported the Opel and sourced a Holden interior for a RHD conversion! (That was fun, he was really impressed. Shame I couldn't bite my tongue any longer).

In the end I guess I just did it because I wanted to do it, and have a car that was unique in Austrlaia. There are plenty of silver Vectras around, but there are bugger all to be seen with the blitz bade. However, an Opel she is no more. I sold the grille and lettering to Clint, as I intended on changing some time this year. (I think I did that back in December some time o_O - I really should get my finger out...)

EL BURITO
10th September 2006, 05:09 PM
I dont want to have any thing to do with the new Barina ( dawoo POS)

mr_sikma
10th September 2006, 05:33 PM
well yeah i changed mine to be a bit different, and because they are opel corsas and holdens buy them at a cheap price and then re-badge them!

chevvy badges on a holden with a chev motor is fair enough! i hate em on the 6s though!

and theres nothing worng with daewoos!

180HOA
10th September 2006, 05:47 PM
While I'm not much of a fan of rebadging, each to their own - and where the Holden/Opel rebadging happens - that's ok.

But - There are definately some people out there who rebadge for no other reason than that they are a wannabe tool...

Ever seen a Ssanyong Musso rebadged with Merc badges (apparently the fact that they borrowed an old Merc engine makes the entire car just as good as a Merc)?

Or a Commodore ute rebadged as a Chev?

Or, my personal favourite: my partner sells Audi's, and one customer who almost bought an A3, bought a VW Golf instead and has now put Audi badges on it...

Seriously - who do these tossers think they're fooling?

MatsHolden
10th September 2006, 07:55 PM

It's usually the Commodores with the Chev V8 in them, that is why they put the Chevy badges on them. However if it is a V6 then yeh as said above by someone... tool.

sri guy
10th September 2006, 08:10 PM
at the end of the day its each to their own.and yes my car is opelised!

platypus
10th September 2006, 08:41 PM
my mazda protege had mazda familia badging from the same japanese car...
same thing as opelising really - something different i think more than anything else

MAD-16V
10th September 2006, 09:34 PM
It's just part of the customization process - No brainer really.

Miyagi
10th September 2006, 10:12 PM
A few of the lads on the XR5T site have rebadged them as the ST... all comes down to personal choice.

I haven't re-badged our Barina but if it was my personal pride and joy i would have. :)

Misguidedangel
10th September 2006, 10:18 PM
my mazda protege had mazda familia badging from the same japanese car...
same thing as opelising really - something different i think more than anything else

yes but your protege has more bog than the standard mazda so its different regardless of the badging lol :p

im just stirring...

I used to consider slapping Mirage Badges on my lancer.. because in the states a Lancer Coupe was called a mirage... but i also considered slapping opel badges on it too just to **** the mitsu drivers hahahaha

stevedee3
10th September 2006, 10:23 PM
I acknowledge that there probably isn't a great deal of "Holden" in my Vectra, but it doesn't bother me to have Holden badges on it....

Captjono
10th September 2006, 10:42 PM
I think it is also about who made and designed the vehicle!

It would make sense for a person in the UK to wack a holden on the 'VXR' Monaro, as in essence, it is an Australian made/designed HOLDEN.

Where as with all the cars here, on this site, the most holden have to do with them is Engeneering a badge to put on them! :D

BTW...I'm a Holden man myself and love the V8s...but really, my car is made and designed by OPEL. (and my spelling is made and designed by the NSW Dep.of Education ;) ) So I have badged it that way.

Also, why don't they just make a worldwide GM badge, and wack that on everything...that would stop this descussion right now!

pred8r
10th September 2006, 11:24 PM
After Opel-izing, i had a think about it and probably would have Vauxhall-ized it instead just to be 'different'.

EL BURITO
11th September 2006, 02:46 AM
Also, why don't they just make a worldwide GM badge, and wack that on everything...that would stop this descussion right now!

and reduce there market share and ther for a reduction in profit. Different badges gives the consumer the idea they have a varied selection of who they buy there cars off

Alfonzo
11th September 2006, 07:10 AM
After Opel-izing, i had a think about it and probably would have Vauxhall-ized it instead just to be 'different'.Hehe, when I joined VVOC.co.uk I mentioned I had removed the Holden badges, and got at least 3 PMs offering to buy them from me. I'd expect that'd follow suit with the Corsas and Astras.

You'd probably find somebody in the UK who'd want to do a full badge swap with you on that one without any issues.

Apex
11th September 2006, 09:51 AM
I would re badge my Astra with the blitz badge but then would be perceived as an piece of crap jap import.

My personal favorite is all the champs out there who place M badges on their non Motorsport edition BMW’s:confused:

Wraith
11th September 2006, 12:33 PM
I would re badge my Astra with the blitz badge but then would be perceived as an piece of crap jap import.

My personal favorite is all the champs out there who place M badges on their non Motorsport edition BMW’s:confused:

hahahaha LOL, yes, this is one that always makes me crack up and shake my head at the tool owner of the car.........

What they usually do is de-badge the whole car and just place the M and colour stripe on the back boot lip - who are they trying to fool, trying to imitate an M3 with a piss box standard 318 - total wankers !!

sri guy
11th September 2006, 12:52 PM
hahahahahaha i once raced & owned a tool like that one night. m3 kitted and all.
just to be cheeky i asked him if his m3 was running a bit rough. he just goes(confirming my suspicions) nah mate its only a 318i.

R3N
11th September 2006, 02:59 PM
hahahahahaha i once raced & owned a tool like that one night. m3 kitted and all.
just to be cheeky i asked him if his m3 was running a bit rough. he just goes(confirming my suspicions) nah mate its only a 318i.

What you guys are forgetting is that haveing the ///M badges does not mean its an m3 or m5. It merely means (in most cases) that it is fitted with the M-tech bodykit (they also do suspension and wheels), unless specifically having m3 or m5 badging. And it IS a factory option.

So before calling others a tool, I suggest you educate yourself on the subject

Apex
11th September 2006, 04:37 PM
What you guys are forgetting is that haveing the ///M badges does not mean its an m3 or m5. It merely means (in most cases) that it is fitted with the M-tech bodykit (they also do suspension and wheels), unless specifically having m3 or m5 badging. And it IS a factory option.

Call up BMW and ask them what percentage of e36 3 series were sold with factory m body kits?.

Nine out of ten are EBay special editions.

I’m sure most of you know what Euro-ricers I was referring to.

R3N
11th September 2006, 07:18 PM
Call up BMW and ask them what percentage of e36 3 series were sold with factory m body kits?.

Nine out of ten are EBay special editions.

I’m sure most of you know what Euro-ricers I was referring to.

However they do exist. I was merely stating that and just because it has an ///M badge doesn't mean the owner is a wanker/tool.

///M and ///M3: ALOT of difference (the general public may not know that).

It IS an option for some beemers to come kitted with "M3" or "M5" lookalike kits; like the E36 3-series, the E39 5-series and the E60 5-series. But depending on how familiar you are with those vehicles, you could spot the non-motorsport one.

I'm just surprised at how some people can call others ignorant for not knowing that Astras, Corsas, etcs are Opels and at the same time call others tools for sporting ///M badges when they came out of the factory like that.

And it looks like this thread is going off course.

Shaun
11th September 2006, 07:25 PM
I have Opelised my SRi T but when i buy a VXR i wont Be changing the HSV Badges thats for sure.

sri guy
11th September 2006, 10:15 PM

well. this particular character was a tool as his 318-i was m3 kitted and badged. so yes he was a tool thankyou very much.so before suggesting we educate ourselves i suggest you not carry on like a sheila in future.

Wraith
12th September 2006, 12:46 PM

I'm not forgetting anything and I certainly don't need an education on BMW M3's or what the M badge on it's own means either, I've been an enthusiast of these cars for about 25 years fella ! - I know BMW M3's inside out !

I too was referring to the same as sri guy to the tools that have put M3 badges on kitted 318's or 323's or even 325's - mostly E36 models.

I can still pick em out easily !

And then there's the even bigger tools who put M3 badges on standard unkitted 318's or the like, this is totally obsured ??

And then there's the idiots who put the M badge on their debadged whatever other 3 series, without having any M gear on it in the first place - these I think are the biggest wankers, trying to make people think they have more money than what they actually have............

So no education needed here and I STILL CALL THEM TOOLS !!!!!!!!

Considering your response, you must have a close friend who's got one of these - if so he/she is an absolute TOOL !

R3N
12th September 2006, 05:17 PM
well. this particular character was a tool as his 318-i was m3 kitted and badged. so yes he was a tool thankyou very much.so before suggesting we educate ourselves i suggest you not carry on like a sheila in future.

You did mention that he admitted it was only a 318i, its not as if he's carrying on like its an M3. So now you're saying its m3 badged? You didn't in your first post.

I'm not forgetting anything and I certainly don't need an education on BMW M3's or what the M badge on it's own means either, I've been an enthusiast of these cars for about 25 years fella ! - I know BMW M3's inside out !

I too was referring to the same as sri guy to the tools that have put M3 badges on kitted 318's or 323's or even 325's - mostly E36 models.

I can still pick em out easily !

And then there's the even bigger tools who put M3 badges on standard unkitted 318's or the like, this is totally obsured ??

And then there's the idiots who put the M badge on their debadged whatever other 3 series, without having any M gear on it in the first place - these I think are the biggest wankers, trying to make people think they have more money than what they actually have............

So no education needed here and I STILL CALL THEM TOOLS !!!!!!!!

Considering your response, you must have a close friend who's got one of these - if so he/she is an absolute TOOL !

I was simply stating facts in response to this post where he was referring to people who place M badges on their "non Motorsport edition BMW's" when in actual fact there are factory-kitted BMWs that are running around with ///M badges from the factory. I was merely clearing that up.

And no I do not have friends who badge their cars as what they're not. Even if I did, you could call them a tool cos I'd agree with you. Let's face it 90% of people out there would confuse the ///M badge with an ///M_ badge, well except in the case of the Z3 M Roadster or Coupe of course. But at the end of the day its each to their own.

Wraith
12th September 2006, 06:03 PM
Fair enough, we won't get too carried away with this subject.

I think we all agree that re-badging a Beemer to something it isn't is not cool.

I get especially heated with this, because I will hopefully be an E90 M3 convertible owner in a couple of years and have wanted one since 1995, but am prepared to wait and get the 'real deal' , so it gives me the irrates to see all these fakies around.

At least with the later model E46 and new E90, you can't pretend to have an M3 because the body is noticeably different - although with the E36 series there are lots of fakes out there.........

R3N
12th September 2006, 07:26 PM
Fair enough, we won't get too carried away with this subject.

I think we all agree that re-badging a Beemer to something it isn't is not cool.

I get especially heated with this, because I will hopefully be an E90 M3 convertible owner in a couple of years and have wanted one since 1995, but am prepared to wait and get the 'real deal' , so it gives me the irrates to see all these fakies around.

At least with the later model E46 and new E90, you can't pretend to have an M3 because the body is noticeably different - although with the E36 series there are lots of fakes out there.........

You mean the E92 :D They did it properly with the E30, then the E46 with noticably different panles, but the E60's kit option does make it look like the M5.

I prefer if manufacturers don't provide the option of kits that makes the lower models look similar to the sport models. I was relieved when they brought out the AH SRiT with completely different bumpers rather than having the addons that anyone could get as an option.

It's the same everywhere with fake GT-Rs, Type-Rs, AMGs, etc etc

Back on subject, we're not badging our cars any different from what it is, we're not trying to pass it off as something that it's not and as far as I'm concerned, thats what badging is all about... the identity.

Red AH SRI T
12th September 2006, 08:13 PM
I rebadged mine just to be different, not because i'm ashamed to drive a Holden, and i think that goes for the majority of people on here

sri guy
12th September 2006, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=R3N;150852]You did mention that he admitted it was only a 318i, its not as if he's carrying on like its an M3. So now you're saying its m3 badged? You didn't in your first post.

whatever man.i have a tip for you. go to the hardware store buy some timber build a bridge and get over it!!!!

aussie_in_london
13th September 2006, 01:56 AM
Holden is starting to have exclusivness with some of their imported stuff,
take for instance the sports hatch SRi turbo, different front & rear bumper to its European counterparts and looks much better in my opinion, thats one i would leave as a Holden, the monaro CV8 guys here in the UK rebadge as Holdens, it must be a ex pat thing but once your away from your home country you respect all things that stand for our country and Holden is one of those things.

MatsHolden
13th September 2006, 12:33 PM
I rebadged mine just to be different, not because i'm ashamed to drive a Holden, and i think that goes for the majority of people on here

That's it mate.

Wraith
13th September 2006, 04:10 PM
You mean the E92 :D They did it properly with the E30, then the E46 with noticably different panles, but the E60's kit option does make it look like the M5.

I prefer if manufacturers don't provide the option of kits that makes the lower models look similar to the sport models. I was relieved when they brought out the AH SRiT with completely different bumpers rather than having the addons that anyone could get as an option.

It's the same everywhere with fake GT-Rs, Type-Rs, AMGs, etc etc

Back on subject, we're not badging our cars any different from what it is, we're not trying to pass it off as something that it's not and as far as I'm concerned, thats what badging is all about... the identity.

The E92 designation is only a recent addition and was introduced because of the new high po 335i twin turbo, is so good, BMW wants a clear distinction from it and the new M3's.

We'll have to wait and see if it sticks to the new M3 range, just like the reports going around that the the new M3 convertible will infact be designated to M4 as it was originally planned, but then changed back ATM to M3, it is also to feature a hardtop as opposed to the rest of the 3 series convertibles being left with a soft top.

Only time will tell - I actually hope that they do call it an M4, sounds better and matches up perfectly to the new 4.0ltr V8 powerplant !

Captjono
13th September 2006, 06:15 PM
Sorry to add to this already heated debate! :)

But is putting an OPC grille or badge on the car passing it off for something it's not.

I've got the OPC front grille on my car cause I think it looks the bee's knees, but my car is not an OPC!

Opelise
13th September 2006, 08:04 PM
Sorry to add to this already heated debate! :)

But is putting an OPC grille or badge on the car passing it off for something it's not.

I've got the OPC front grille on my car cause I think it looks the bee's knees, but my car is not an OPC!

Yeah i've got the OPC front grille and it's starting to bug me. It's simply a 2.2 SRi Opel, not an OPC. I think i'm going to end up changing it very soon.

I rebadged mine for 3 reasons.

1. It's simply not a holden. It's an Opel (i've tried this argument on my brother, but he still won't put toyota bagdes on his apollo... )
2. Holden have 3 types of cars. Dog **** ones they make in Australia, dog **** ones they import from Korea and decent ones they import from Europe. I want my astra to be different from the first two.
3. It's a DIFFERENT look. It stands out. Combine the opel badges with the loud exhaust and red plates haha;) .

That's my 20 cents anyway.

MatsHolden
13th September 2006, 08:50 PM
2. Holden have 3 types of cars. Dog **** ones they make in Australia, dog **** ones they import from Korea and decent ones they import from

Don't agree with "Dog **** ones they make in Australia", really don't see what is wrong with the Australian built Commodore, and did you think the Australian built Opel Vectra was dog **** too?. BUT do agree with "dog **** ones they import from Korea", but only the current ones, the next generation GMDAT vehicles will leave the old Daewoos for dead. Even your beloved Opel is now sourcing products from GMDAT.

sri guy
13th September 2006, 08:52 PM
I rebadged mine for 3 reasons.

1. It's simply not a holden. It's an Opel (i've tried this argument on my brother, but he still won't put toyota bagdes on his apollo... )
2. Holden have 3 types of cars. Dog **** ones they make in Australia, dog **** ones they import from Korea and decent ones they import from Europe. I want my astra to be different from the first two.
3. It's a DIFFERENT look. It stands out. Combine the opel badges with the loud exhaust and red plates haha;) .

amen brother couldnt have said it better myself.
i just plain dont see how holden should take credit for someone elses work.
im converted and obsessed now. OPEL FOR LIFE!

MatsHolden
13th September 2006, 09:00 PM
i just plain dont see how holden should take credit for someone elses work.
im converted and obsessed now. OPEL FOR LIFE!

It's General Motors. They all use each other. Why should Vauxhall take credit for the Monaro or Chevrolet for the Camaro that Holden is developing, engineering and testing for them in Australia?

Wraith
14th September 2006, 09:01 AM
I couldn't agree more with Mat's reply above, regarding local Holdens:

IMHO there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Commodore range, I've owned and driven numerous models over the past 22 years, they have all been very good cars !

The new VE is fantastic in many respects.

xplosv57
14th September 2006, 06:57 PM
The E92 designation is only a recent addition and was introduced because of the new high po 335i twin turbo, is so good, BMW wants a clear distinction from it and the new M3's.!

Not the case, the E designation was put on at the time of the cars original design and it differentiates the body shapes (sedan E90, Touring E91, Coupe E92 etc) And yes the 335i is insane, just goes and goes and so quiet too!!!!

Only time will tell - I actually hope that they do call it an M4, sounds better and matches up perfectly to the new 4.0ltr V8 powerplant !

Nah i hope the M3 name stays, its got such a good legacy that by changing the name will get people confused thinking it may be a Z4 based car as theres already the Z4M!

On the badging thing, i badged mine just coz the flash looks better and its the original factory badging, im not being a tryhard or anything (like the M3 badged 318i's LOL can't stand em) but it just looks like a factory car if i bought it from Europe!!

Wraith
15th September 2006, 12:50 PM
Yes, what you say is true, that is why BMW changed it back to M3 from their original M4 designation, they apparantly got lots of World wide feed back from current M3 owners stating they wanted the M3 designation to continue.

I like M4 because it clearly marks the beginning of something new and superior, finally moving on from the inline 6 to a V8, which was supposed to happen with the E46 M3, but traditionalists got their way in retaining the very good but old hat inline 6.

I don't think it causes confusion/similarity to the Z4 at all, but certainly Z4M is a bugger of a designation, IMHO they should change this one to something different.

xplosv57
15th September 2006, 06:24 PM
I like M4 because it clearly marks the beginning of something new and superior, finally moving on from the inline 6 to a V8, which was supposed to happen with the E46 M3, but traditionalists got their way in retaining the very good but old hat inline 6.

Hmmm not really cos the first M3 (E30) was a 4 cylinder so they moved onto a 6 cylinder for the E36 and no name change! Also the M5 has gone from a 6cyl to a V8 and is currently a V10 but the M5 name still exists!!! M3 pretty much designates thats its a motorsport version of a 3 series, changing it to a M4 wouldn't make sense as its not based on a Z4 and no 4 series exists (yet!!;) )

Blue_Dvl
15th September 2006, 10:50 PM
I think re-badging is ok. If a vehicle is badged differently in different markets then re-badging is a relitavely cheap way of making your vehicle unique.

I have rebadged my astra with Vauxhall badging, i think the front V grill looks more classy than the plasticy GMH one, and give it a UK appearance.

vectra_zc
25th October 2006, 09:30 PM
I think if people want to individualise their vehicle by rebadging them with a sister product, it is easy because the badges are compatible and you are still sticking with the GM brand.

I think people generally rebadge, not because of quality, but because of quantity. Holdens are so Australian and so common, some people just want to make them a little different. Some people debadge altogether and that looks good too. Maybe some people rebadge to the manufacture place of origin too. But why do we see so many utes with Chevy badges? The V8 engine probably.

Personally, I'd like to see the end of Holden, Open, Vauxhall, Chev etc. I'd prefer to see a new brand with a new generation of vehicles using its global resources. Go with GM. Source vehicles globally. Thats what they are doing, only they haven't changed the name and they never will. But we will continue to see Holden Pontiac GTOs, Camaro Monaros, Daewoo Barinas, Vauxhall Astras etc etc. GM is using their resources globally, better than they ever have.

stevedee3
25th October 2006, 10:10 PM
...Go with GM....But GM's logo is a bit plain :)

EL BURITO
25th October 2006, 10:55 PM
that would also take there abilty to sell same different products allowing the consumer to think there is a larger choice of car makers than wat there acctually is

ZC_74
26th October 2006, 08:08 PM
With my Vectra I'm purely doing it because it is an Opel - nothing more. I love Holden. I've owned a few and am a big fan of the V8 Supercars.

Maybe people would say, well why get rid of your beloved logo of the lion. I answer with what I have said above. The other reason is that I don't like the grille on the Vectra C - it has like a big bubble type logo on the grille and the best grille I found was an opel one and, well if you're going to change one bit why not go the whole hog.

I do find it amusing that our UK or european brothers want Holden badging. That comes down to just wanting to be different. And we all know when we modify cars it's all about being different and creative in your own way

vectra_zc
29th October 2006, 09:45 PM
While I'm not much of a fan of rebadging, each to their own - and where the Holden/Opel rebadging happens - that's ok.

But - There are definately some people out there who rebadge for no other reason than that they are a wannabe tool...

Ever seen a Ssanyong Musso rebadged with Merc badges (apparently the fact that they borrowed an old Merc engine makes the entire car just as good as a Merc)?

Or, my personal favourite: my partner sells Audi's, and one customer who almost bought an A3, bought a VW Golf instead and has now put Audi badges on it...

Seriously - who do these tossers think they're fooling?

That is hilarious !