PDA

View Full Version : Skipped the SAAB, got the ASTRA. Love it!!!

Jerry Crockford
6th September 2006, 09:16 PM
I have wanted a convertible for years.

Fancied a SAAB, as I thought that the Astra was overpriced—especially as I had an SS Commodore which was a 'made after 5pm lemon', and figured anything with a Holden badge would be the same.

But then I actually LOOKED at the Astra, (instead of just assuming from a distance!) and realised what a TERRIFIC car it is. Apart from the badge, it really is a European vehicle, and is beautifully made.

Anyway, after much searching, was tossing between a used SAAB and a used Astra, I decided to go for the SAAB.

But, as the email to the SAAB dealer (Who tried to stiff me) below shows, I ended up with the Astra.

And let me tell you, I am absolutely delighted. I'm 45 and should know better, but I just can't get enough of this lovely car. It is sensational to drive, the red leather is just dreamy, the soft top works like a charm. Absolutely magic!

So, for your singing and dancing pleasure, here is the email I sent to the fella at Brisbane Prestige when he tried to pull a swifty on me. While you are reading it, I'm off to the carport to clean my Astra's windscreen one-more-time...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Saab convertible:

Bernie, Bernie, Bernie,

There is NOTHING that pisses people off than to be told ONE thing on the phone-then be told ANOTHER thing when face-to-face in the store. Like you did to me.

Remember?

It went like this...

You said on the phone that you would:

Pay out the $17K for the SS Commodore.
Sell me the SAAB at the online retail price of $33,990 and
Cover the stamp $650 duty. "Beeeuty!" I thought. "We have a deal". (Hope now up. Enthusiasm on high. Starting to see the SAAB in my garage which is EXACTLY what you wanted, isn't it Bernie?)

So on the strength of our agreement, I grabbed my cheque book, scuttled over to see you and ...

When you got me down there in the showroom where I can smell the leather, you THEN give me the bad news (Using the good guy/bad guy routine with your boss in his glass cage), telling me that you had made a slight mistake, and that you would:

Pay out the $17K for the Commodore.
Sell the SAAB at the online retail price of $33,990 BUT
Not cover the $650 stamp duty after all. And you looked so sad and pained when you shared this little gem with me. (You ought to nominate for a Logie or even an Oscar - I almost felt like whipping out a hankie for you)

Maaaaate ...

Give me a break!

I may LOOK only 21 years old, but I didn't come down in the last shower. You boys were getting me on a string and pulling my chain. You were hoping that I'd just swallow the $650 to keep the dream alive and get the car. "After all" you helpfully explained "It'll only be a dollar or so each month on the lease".

Fact is, BERNIE, you were, in short, trying to smart-arse me into that SAAB. And I'll bet you play that game over and over again.

My response was to remain outwardly calm (customers will do that you know. Ya gotta watch 'em, sneaky little buggers!) while seething on the inside. I smiled goodbye, and off I stumped to pay a deposit on a car elsewhere where they tell it like it is. John Walsh is his name, over at John Sivyer Holden. Nice bloke. You boys could learn a thing or two offa him, let me tell you!

Then, after signing up and giving John my cheque, I shambled off home and vented my spleen about Brisbane Prestige on a couple of them there "what I hate about car dealers" websites. I felt, let me tell you, much better after that.

But you know, it still didn't stop me telling all my buddies at the barbeque on Saturday night about the games they like to play at Brisbane Prestige.

I should point out that the gang were VERY surprised. As we all agreed over a beer, you'd EXPECT silly mind-games like that from a suburban yard flogging off $6,000 cars. But at an inner city dealership for European vehicles? Surprising indeed! But there you go Bernie: Truth is INDEED stranger than fiction!

There was a moment there that we talked about how I ought to:

Tell you on the phone that I was interested,
Get you to come over and
THEN tell you that the missus said I couldn't buy the car after all. (See, Good guy/ Bad girl. It's a twist, but the basics are the same) But alas, I am a straight shooter, so I couldn't bring myself to do it. Would've been fun though, don't you agree?

Anyway, Bernie, I'll love you and leave you ... and look forward to giving Brisbane Prestige SAAB the finger whenever I drive past in the convertible that you DIDN'T sell me.

Cheers, Jerry

PS. One of my barbeque buddies has a SAAB Viggan, which is coming up for a lease renewal in the not-too-distant. You know the model? A little over $100K if my memory serves me right. Unlike me, he doesn't buy used cars. He likes 'em shiny and new. He loves his SAAB, and is looking forward to getting another. But ... not from you son, not from you.

Regards,

Jerry

JR
6th September 2006, 09:31 PM
nice one jerry - show 'em how it should b ;)

welcome aboard.

i'm sure u'll enjoy dat sexy looking drop top convertible :D

Bernard Siong
6th September 2006, 09:33 PM
im not too familiar with SAABs
but most of the convertible ones i've seen have depreciated like crazy
the astra holds the value more i seem to find
so well done on the purchase mate!

just get opel badges for it to bring it to its true self

PaulyJ
6th September 2006, 09:37 PM
And the Emmy for best smooth patient character goes to Jerry Crockford!

Well done mate, nice to see that you dont take sh!t from anyone.

xplosv57
6th September 2006, 09:51 PM
I would love to see the reply to that one LOL!!

Astra is a better car than a SAAB anyway, had a mate with one and parts were absolutely ridiculous in price, youll be hapier with the astra!!

What model did u get?? Turbo or 2.2??

Jerry Crockford
6th September 2006, 09:55 PM
His reply is pasted in below. Reading between the lines, it could mean …

1. Couldn’t give a ****.
2. Didn’t want to antagonise me in case I told his boss.
3. Boss said not to antagonise me in case I contacted SAAB.
4. Couldn’t give a ****.

My bet is on 1 or 4.

Cheers,

Jerry (See reply below)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:14:05 +1000
To: Jerry Crockford <[email protected]>
Conversation: Saab convertible
Subject: RE: Saab convertible

Jerry,

Thankyou for the prompt reply, it’s a shame we couldn’t do business, all the best with finding a good deal and I hope that whatever you buy will be a gem

Regs

Bernie North

PaulyJ
6th September 2006, 10:25 PM
I wonder how long it took him to write that, and how many time he re-wrote that to not include the word 'F**K'?

oneightoo
6th September 2006, 10:42 PM
mate, all i can say is, YOUR A BLOODY LEGEND!!

lol best email i have read in a long time..

choicest choice of words..

what a crack up!!

cant stop laughing roflmao!!

in the end tho, you got the sexier car ;) even if my bias is showing a little..

again, well done, and welcome to the opel community :D

Poogene2001
7th September 2006, 12:21 AM
Talk about an over-reaction.
Sure u ended up in the better car, but a 50 line email cos the guy couldn't deliver a promise? Since when do used car dealers have a reputation for keeping promises? Especially the European variety?
He used a lie to get you in the door? that' s never happened!
He blamed his boss for not allowing the minor discount? that's never happened!
He couldn't care less that he didnt get the sale? thats never happened either.
I think you will find its just a job for the guy, he isnt out to screw you. He works on commission, so its probably in his best interest to SELL the car, not just get you angry.
In the long term he did you a favour. Atleast the astra wont break down, or cost you $4000 when the roof stops working (and in a saab it's inevitable).
So cheer up, sit in your new car and be thankful that anyone was happy to pay you $17000 for a piece of junk SS commodore.
Its easy to side with the "ripped off" customer, but I doubt this will get you any air time on today tonight, or a current affair.
Just my 2 cents.

R3N
7th September 2006, 01:41 AM
Bloody good read!

Good choice of words, I must say you handled the situation better than I could have ever done. We should make you the official club letter-writer.

I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase. Red leather aye? Is that one of the special edition ones?

Jerry Crockford
7th September 2006, 06:35 AM
No, it isn't the special "Rosa" edition. Just a standard convertible. There's plenty of 'em around with the red leather.

It's just the 2.2 litre non-turbo version, but jeez it goes well. Nothing like the SS, but that's a totally different type of car.

And yes, further to Poogene's comment,of COURSE it was an overreaction! And of course it wouldn't make one JOT of difference, as that's how these guys are.

But...

Poogene...

It has given a lot of us good guys and girls a laugh, AND said the things that plenty of us have wanted to say. And that's not such a bad thing.

Anyway, back to my car...

I called the previous owner (after I bought it) just to sus out it's history, and was DELIGHTED to learn that it has never been pranged, always been garaged, never had a thing wrong with it, been serviced in good time and treated VERY well.

Oh YES!

After the pile of kuuuurap that Armstrong Holden sold me (disguised as an SS Commodore), that sure as hell makes a change!

See Poogene, life IS good!

Cheers,

Jerry

btm
7th September 2006, 08:22 AM
Welcome Jerry!

Very interesting read above :D

Congrats on the purchase!

Wraith
7th September 2006, 01:41 PM
Well done - Excellent choice and welcome to the TS Astra convertible club as well........I agree entirely as it is easily one of the best cars that I've ever owned and driven as well and I'm 40 and have owned no fewer than 15 different types of cars - so I too can vouch for them.

There are a few of us Convertible owners here (myself, imay, nice car, Damo) and a couple of us have the turbo model - what a machine especially with some custom mods/enhancements.

I absolutely LOVE IT !!!

Jerry Crockford
7th September 2006, 01:51 PM
I know that you always see the kind of car you own, but this is rediculous!

I'm seeing Astra convertibles EVEYWHERE!

Just went into the city for lunch.

a. Passed a blue one on the Story bridge.
b. Parke in front of a silver one in Edward St.
c. Saw a red one parked in Creek St.
d. Another red one grove past the coffee shop.
e. Returned to car, only to find a silver one parked opposite.
f. Followed a different blue on back over the bridge.

And ya know what?

All the drivers were grinning from ear to ear!

Jerry

PaulyJ
7th September 2006, 01:56 PM
and so they should be!

EL BURITO
7th September 2006, 02:23 PM
thats funny

even thou he woudlnt of taken to much into it bet it made u feel better and gave me a good laugh

imay
7th September 2006, 07:11 PM
Congrats and welcome to a happy Astra convertible lifestyle, Jerry. Well done, and a decision I am sure you will be happy with. I know they are not for everyone, but if you love the idea of a convertible and can put up with "all the inconveniences" (whatever they are!) I am sure you will be as happy as I (nay, WE) are with ours.

Well done also with putting a smug "prestige" car salesperson in his place. . . . but I really have to ask, why a SAAB anyway? They are built on the same GM platform as the Astra, don't have anywhere near the looks, not that much more power, o more comfort or handling, and cost 2 to 3 times as much.

Anyway . . . good choice in the end, hope you are happy with it. Enjoy!

Ian.

Jerry Crockford
7th September 2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks for that.

Dunno about 'inconvenince'. I may be just on my honeymoon period, but the only inconvenience I can see is the two-door bizzo. But who cares!!!

You have got me curious about the relationship between GM and SAAB?

I have done some Googling, and learned that SAAB is owned (Part owned?) by GM.

Is that what you were referring to? Or is there a closer relationship with regard to engines/design?

What did you mean by "platform"?

I have a friend who has a SAAB, and he is already telling me that I should have gotten a 'proper' European car. I'd love to shut him down!!

Are there any sites you can recommend to take a peek at?

Cheers,

Jerry

imay
7th September 2006, 11:16 PM
Jerry: By "inconvenience" I mean what other people (non-convertible owners/drivers) consider an inconvenience, and like reminding me about constantly. Simple response: "Have you ever owned a convertible? No? Probably don't know what you are on about then, do you!"

The GM/SAAB relationship I am not 100% sure on, other than I remember reading articles that referred to the SAAB being built on the same "platform" as the Opel Astra Cabrio. I am guessing it is like Holden's new VE Commodore range that has a "global platform" that will be shared by other GM subsidiaries, like Chev Camaro, etc. Not sure what is involved, but I figure that must make the main differences mainly cosmetic.

Enjoy the convertible for what it is mate. Just remember to keep a bottle of the old SPF30+ handy!

Wraith
8th September 2006, 10:25 AM
I know that you always see the kind of car you own, but this is rediculous!

I'm seeing Astra convertibles EVEYWHERE!

Just went into the city for lunch.

a. Passed a blue one on the Story bridge.
b. Parke in front of a silver one in Edward St.
c. Saw a red one parked in Creek St.
d. Another red one grove past the coffee shop.
e. Returned to car, only to find a silver one parked opposite.
f. Followed a different blue on back over the bridge.

And ya know what?

All the drivers were grinning from ear to ear!

Jerry

The TS Astra convertible is Australia's no.1 selling convertible !!

That's why they're everywhere.

And they're not exactly a cheap new car option either - further proof as to how good these cars really are.........

As I've said before - I LOVE IT !

R3N
8th September 2006, 03:15 PM
I actually like the shape and looks of the 9-3 Aero convertible :o ... cept the interior just doesn't do it for me

EL BURITO
8th September 2006, 03:31 PM
Jerry all this convertible talk you have filled the bords with this week is really amking me want one now

Wraith
8th September 2006, 04:35 PM
Jerry all this convertible talk you have filled the bords with this week is really amking me want one now

Go on get one - I guarantee you you'll get hooked and love it to death like the rest of us who have one......

They really are a charismatic car !

As for the SAAB, yes they share similar components brakes, fabric top material, etc. as GM owns SAAB automotive, but the Astra is far nicer looking - especially if you mod it a bit - it looks totally awesome and horny and classy and the interior is much nicer by far, all for less money !

Jerry Crockford
8th September 2006, 04:53 PM
I agree, but then I AM a tad biased!

It really is a terrific vehicle. I keep shaking my head in disbelief that you get so MUCH quality and extras for so much less than the others on the market.

And as for those heated leather seats...

Maaaaate!

I'd be rushing out NOW, this minute and getting your butt into an Astra convertible THIS weekend!!!

Jerry

EL BURITO
8th September 2006, 07:24 PM
Go on get one - I guarantee you you'll get hooked and love it to death like the rest of us who have one......

A H twin top has been added to my list of possible next cars

imay
8th September 2006, 07:40 PM

TwinTop to debut at the Sydney Motor Show in October. Dealers hanging out hoping Holden will release it before summer hits.

Astra Convertible deals at Holden advertised last weekend: $6000 off normal RRP. Sounds like the run-out sales have well and truely started. Get 'em while they're hot!

Waiting to see the TwinTop in the flesh, but I really don't think it is going to have the same appeal as the soft-top G. Too much like a Peugeot, I think.

Wraith
9th September 2006, 03:31 PM

Me too !!

Would love to have one next to my TS soft top - 2 Astra's but they look like 2 totally different cars.

Imay, they look much, much better than the Pugs.......Roof system is much more advanced also, it folds in thirds rather than in half, taking up much less boot space - not that we really care about that anyway LOL.

I did read somewhere, that it is in fact one of the best and most advanced hard top systems to date, even compared to the latest Mercs...

I am seriously considering replacing my Calibra with one of these when they become available,
(I'll wait for the turbo model) it'll be a "true" coupe/convertible 2 cars in one machine !

nicecar
9th September 2006, 08:47 PM
Waiting to see the TwinTop in the flesh, but I really don't think it is going to have the same appeal as the soft-top G.

Agree, need to see one in the flesh. I have seen many pictures of one on AstraSport forum and videos of the roof opening/closing but I feel that as the steel roof takes up more space, the back end of the new TwinTop looks too high and not as sleek as the TS. Think the Tigra CC looks nicer but is too small.

http://news.caradisiac.com/IMG/arton1857.jpg

Will see..

imay
9th September 2006, 09:04 PM
Roof system is much more advanced also, it folds in thirds rather than in half, taking up much less boot space

Yeah, agree . . . but have you seen what you have to go through to access anything in the boot when the roof is down??? Open the boot, push a button on the inside and the roof folds part the way back UP, opening up an area in which to place your luggage (or whatever), then push the button again and wait for the electro/pneumatics to re-store the roof, so that you can then close the boot lid. What a fiasco! Something like the Tigra's power operated boot lid (roof up OR down). Too bad if you need something in a hurry. Too much mucking around for my likes.

. . . but, I still want to see one, drive one, play with one . . . before I pass my final judgement.

Wraith
10th September 2006, 12:13 PM
Yes true, but it's all worth it when you consider all things, ie: size of the car, hardtop roof and overall dimensions.

To me the only thing I'll be looking at with the boot, is if it's gonna take an ICE install set up like what I've done with my TS convertible - not worried at all about space or repositioning folded roof operations when opening/closing.

For me it's a weekend car, not everyday or shopping car, I've got other cars for that stuff, so practicality constraints are of no importance.

Also the rear end from all angles of hundreds of pics I've seen is no bulkier or higher or fatter than the current TS, it actually looks slimmer IMO and I love the look of the curved tail lights and 'V' shaped chrome strip, looks much more modern than the TS.

But who knows, may not even end up with one, the missus and I were only a stones throw away from buying an E46 M3 convertible 3 years ago, but decided to get an investment property instead - good move, if I say so myself, it's already paid dividends in 6 figures and we've been discussing the possibility of acquiring the new E90 M3 convertible which won't be available for at least another 18 months.

Been checking out US forums and it seems a strong possibility that this too will go hardtop, interesting since all the new model Beemer convertibles are still soft tops.

We'll just wait and see, but given the choice if it presents itself I'll definitely want to be an M3 convertible owner for sure - what a dream come true.