PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack's

RudeOne
6th September 2006, 10:00 AM
Holden guru's and alike;

Does anyone know if you can get a roof rack for a AH coupe?

And if thats a yes, can you get a bike attachment for it aswell?

(holden genuine or not - doesnt matter)

I have just been told that you can't.... :( only for Hatch and Wagon

Part Number would be cool too..

Cheers

Rudi

p.s the coupe still has those channels down the roof line....

beep beep sri
6th September 2006, 04:12 PM
try and find a place that sell's Rhino roof rack's thats what i have on my barina. they are HEAPS cheaper than holden ones (and just as good). i also have 2 bike mounts on mine about $130 each for the mounts. id be very surprised if you can't get a roodrack and bike mount setup for you car. if money is not a problem look around for Thull racks and bikemounts but expect to pay $$$ for them but they are the best on the market.

Ginge
6th September 2006, 06:46 PM
rola should have some. or thrule racks r good to
both have bick attachments

KID_SRi
6th September 2006, 06:55 PM
I was using Rhino Rack on my Astra G SRi
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/srchMake1.asp?ModelID=575

Good Product, Full Customer Support.

KID_SRi
6th September 2006, 07:01 PM
Roof bars - $324.50*
Stylish Holden roof bars allow the transport of luggage and sporting equipment, without sacrificing interior space. These roof bars are compatible with Holden roof mounted bicycle and ski carrier.
Ski carrier is available at additional cost.

* The recommended retail price (RRP) for accessories includes GST but does not include fitting and labour costs. $324.50 RRP*
Roof mounted bike carrier

Roof mounted bike carrier - $262.90*
The Holden roof mounted bicycle carrier is an easy and convenient way to transport your bike. The carrier is fully compatible with the Genuine Accessory roof bars.

* The recommended retail price (RRP) for accessories includes GST but does not include fitting and labour costs. $262.90 RRP*
Roof mounted ski carrier (scissor type)

Roof mounted ski carrier (scissor type) - $233.20*
The Holden roof mounted ski carrier is an easy and convenient way to transport one or more sets of skis. The carrier is fully compatible with the Genuine Accessory roof bars.

* The recommended retail price (RRP) for accessories includes GST but does not include fitting and labour costs. $233.20 RRP*
Roof mounted ski carrier (universal type)

Those are the Genuine Holden/Vauxhall Prices.
And the 3dr & 5dr are suopposed to be the Same.

RudeOne
6th September 2006, 09:15 PM
holden told me the 5dr doesnt fit the 3 dr, the must be on crack

Charlatan
6th September 2006, 09:25 PM
Saris bones are the answer. Saves having to have the roof bars on, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

low astra
7th September 2006, 05:25 PM
Saris bones are good for short term but not great, they have a habbit of rubbing against paint and leaving marks, they are a option but can be trouble on hatchbacks

RudeOne
7th September 2006, 05:27 PM
What is Saris Bones??????

EL BURITO
7th September 2006, 05:30 PM
What is Saris Bones??????
http://www.saris.com/p-175-bones-3-bike.aspx

RudeOne
7th September 2006, 05:45 PM
daaamn thats a good idea!!!!!!

beep beep sri
7th September 2006, 08:14 PM
daaamn thats a good idea!!!!!!

NOOOO ITS NOT. as said they rub on your paint not good. if your going to transport bikes all the time theres 2 options 1. towbar (no thanks) 2. roof racks. they dont look bad and ive even had people say they look good on my car

Charlatan
7th September 2006, 09:14 PM
NOOOO ITS NOT. as said they rub on your paint not good. if your going to transport bikes all the time theres 2 options 1. towbar (no thanks) 2. roof racks. they dont look bad and ive even had people say they look good on my car

bollocks, you're just not using them right. I have those things on my car every weekend and not a scratch. Frankly, they shouldnt move, so there should be no rubbing.

They are awsome. Get them :)

beep beep sri
8th September 2006, 05:53 AM
each to there own if your happy with them all is good. personaly i do'nt like them and everyone i know feels the same. i feel safer with my bikes on the roof because i know if somone rear ends me my bike is safe. and now ill get the what about low treebranches etc etc? ive never had a problem in 4 years of using them and i also use them every weekend.

RudeOne
8th September 2006, 08:29 AM
Some good advice guys - thanx! I only plan to use the rack maybe 1 out of 2 weekends.

Might go a physically go look at the saris bones and other options this weekend.

Charlatan
8th September 2006, 08:14 PM
each to there own if your happy with them all is good. personaly i do'nt like them and everyone i know feels the same. i feel safer with my bikes on the roof because i know if somone rear ends me my bike is safe. and now ill get the what about low treebranches etc etc? ive never had a problem in 4 years of using them and i also use them every weekend.

I think a silver car may be better to put them on as those little scratches dont show up as much. We used to put them on a black Alfa 147, and yeah, you could see some marks. Must say, they do fit the barina very well, it wears them like a backpack! :p

Yes, rear ender would be nasty. Insurance would cover them I'm assuming??

platypus
8th September 2006, 09:13 PM
i feel safer with my bikes on the roof because i know if somone rear ends me my bike is safe.

i'd be more worried about lifting the bike onto the car than the rear end (after all if you get rear-ended your not at fault)

and no insurance cover for the bike normally, however you should be covered for the bike rack etc... and the damage it will do to your own cars rear end.

i should imagine a loose boke off the roof could be worse, but a securely fastened load should be ok (i've had a rear end accident with a COUCH on my roof racks!)

beep beep sri
9th September 2006, 09:21 AM
your insurance wont pay for your bike if the other person is not insured. thats what worry's me $8000 worth of bike's is a fair wack of money to me and ive been rear ended before by an idiot who had no insurance. stupid him as my insurance company reamed him in the end.

Charlatan
9th September 2006, 09:54 AM
your insurance wont pay for your bike if the other person is not insured. thats what worry's me $8000 worth of bike's is a fair wack of money to me and ive been rear ended before by an idiot who had no insurance. stupid him as my insurance company reamed him in the end.

geez, I'm reading my policy. I'd always assumed I'd be covered. $8k, thats a lot of bike!

Another bad point for the bones is that they (when the bikes are on) can obscure your tail lights, hence increasing the likelihood of the above

beep beep sri
9th September 2006, 02:40 PM
let's just say i love my bikes more than my car. if i added up all my bikes value's id bet i could buy myself a very nice car but for some reason bike's just make me feel free and happy. (sounds corny but its true) how long does it take to put this bone thing on your car each time? from the looks of it, it looks pretty easy.

Charlatan
9th September 2006, 05:54 PM
3 or 4 mins to get the bones on. Have it down to a fine art. I understand the love of the bike! MTB or road?

RudeOne
10th September 2006, 11:02 AM
i too have that love, my house insurance covers the bike!

beep beep sri
11th September 2006, 04:10 PM
wow we have a few riders in here. my girlfriend and i have cyclocross bikes (this'll get you googling). mines blue, her's is custom hot pink with blue pearl. they look like a road bike but you can ride them off road and ive even raced mine at mountain bike races. i also have a mountainbike (salsa jaun solo) with all the nice gear fox fork's, juicy 7's, thompson post and stem, etc etc. what do you guys ride road, mtb?

low astra
11th September 2006, 04:30 PM
curently loking into a giant trance1, looks the biz, but not sure i wanna commit that ammount of cash again

RudeOne
11th September 2006, 04:44 PM
I'm on a MTB, giant yukon - not as hard core are your gear, but still pretty cool.

im going to buy a road bike in the next few weeks.

RudeOne
11th September 2006, 04:45 PM
dooo it robbo

beep beep sri
11th September 2006, 05:30 PM
yeah the money that ive spent over the years! my girlfriend has a giant nrs1 thats still brand new she never uses it and im a single speed nut so i wont use her bike so its just been colecting dust over the past 10 months. the reason we still have it, its just not worth selling (as you guys would know second hand bikes are'nt worth squat). pitty we are not all in the same state or we could have organised a cruze-ride. that could have been fun

beep beep sri
11th September 2006, 05:32 PM
oh and road bikes make you fit just watch for opening car doors and drivers that feel they need to run you over. maybe its just melbourne that this happens but i doubt it.

low astra
11th September 2006, 05:38 PM
nah they do it up here 2, i had a norco sasquach till a few months ago, great bike down hills, to heavy for street,

after buying it for 1500 and doing maybe 2000km on it i sold it for 700, only a year later, thats why im having thoughts bout my next bike

Charlatan
11th September 2006, 09:07 PM
I'm just on mtb's these days. Kona Caldera with XT group-set. Simple but effective hardtail. I'd like to get back into road bikes, but traffic and bikes in Sydney just dont mix so I'll stick to the dirt.

low astra
11th September 2006, 09:45 PM
I'm just on mtb's these days. Kona Caldera with XT group-set. Simple but effective hardtail. I'd like to get back into road bikes, but traffic and bikes in Sydney just dont mix so I'll stick to the dirt.

how do u find the kona, i rode a stinky a while ago, felt great, but was a little to heavy for me,

Charlatan
12th September 2006, 09:09 PM
I love the Kona. Stinky is a dualy right? Might explain the weight. I find the Kona light enough for a MTB (still heavy relative to a road bike though).

Bang for buck, there was certainly nothing better on the market for a few years there, although they did gradually start de-specing the bikes.

low astra
12th September 2006, 09:46 PM
yeh stinky is the downhill dually, basicaly al the shop i was at had was the dh kona's