PDA

View Full Version : Color code

WLD-18L
3rd September 2006, 06:28 PM
i want to color code my car.

its a astra g sedan.

i want to spray the front grille and side skirts silver to match the car.

are you able to spray the PLASTIC ?

by the look of it the paint want stick to it very well and wont last long because of its riply plastic texture.

if anyone has done it and can give me some feedback it would be great.

Kacper
3rd September 2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah I colour coded the black plastic in my vectra. To get rid of its roughness I sanded it, but it takes forever. Once it was smooth-ish I sprayed it with plactic adhesive primer which will help whatever you spray on next to hold. That was just out of an areosol can, if I can remember correctly it was about 15bucks. Then you go ahead and spray it how you normally would. I sprayed everything in primer filler first then wet sanded which really helped make the plastic smooth, because after sanding its still not that good.
As for paint colour I just took my car to the paint shop where they looked at my VIN number or whatever they look at, and they found the matching colour in their book.

InsaneAsylum
3rd September 2006, 10:07 PM
just pop your hood and look at all the riveted plates... mines right at the front, it says "colour code" followed by the code. go to an auto paint store and tell them you want a pressure pack or pot of paint with the code XXX (whatever your car is)

WLD-18L
6th September 2006, 05:21 PM
Do any astra G's come stock with silver side skirts. like an
SRI or something ?

if so can i get some an screw em straight on ?

Ginge
6th September 2006, 05:46 PM
paint code should be in the door on a black sticker. 3 numbers. if silver its prob '147' if i recall correctly. as for the side skirts. if some1 has silver1s already and wants ur black 1s otherwise send it to a panelshop

WLD-18L
6th September 2006, 05:49 PM
i thoght some astras came stock with silver skirts ?

anyone done it. how much for painted skirts.

ill go to holdedn an get the paint so its the official color.

R3N
6th September 2006, 05:57 PM
i thoght some astras came stock with silver skirts ?

anyone done it. how much for painted skirts.

ill go to holdedn an get the paint so its the official color.

IIRC the only astras that came with painted skirts are the convertible and SRiT models which have different side skirts (although will fit on a 3-door).

Even the CDX models only came with painted handles and bump strips only on the later models. I'm not sure though if these were painted from the factory or painted before putting em on

WLD-18L
6th September 2006, 05:58 PM
looks like the local pannel beater is the go

R3N
6th September 2006, 06:16 PM
looks like the local pannel beater is the go

Word of advice, don't ask them to colour code, ask them to colour match. Might turn out cheaper than them getting the paint from Holden. That as well as it will blend in better with the car.

Ginge
6th September 2006, 06:26 PM
go somewhere that has spies hecker paint
the silver should match straight off the machine
i've never had a drama