PDA

View Full Version : can faulty spark plugs cause CEL?

tinkz
2nd September 2006, 03:25 PM
Can a faulty spark plug cause a service light to come on (the light with the spanner) i went to the holden dealer yesterday and the mechanic did a diagnostic and he said it might be either the throttle body sensor (which u have to replace the whole throttle body) or the computer...i was just thinking on my gfs sri barina it sometimes idles bad like its got a miss or something and i noticed it started to idle bad after i changed the spark plugs.

SSS_Hoon
2nd September 2006, 04:23 PM
quite possibly i guess.

change them and see.

SSS_Hoon

beep beep sri
2nd September 2006, 04:24 PM
yes if there is a miss the light will come on. but saying that sometimes my car runs rough on cold start up and it never logs a code

stevedee3
2nd September 2006, 04:33 PM
There are heaps of reasons the CEL can come on. The dealer should be able to read the fault code to find out why the CEL is being lit.

Actually I would guess that a faulty spark plug would probably also cause the emissions light to flash if it is causing a misfire.

InsaneAsylum
3rd September 2006, 01:15 PM
based on the code of the fault that's logged they should be able to tell you exaclty what's causing the problem. if not, i'd go elsewhere. i also doubt that you'd have to replace the whole throttle body if the sensor needed replacing.

i think i'll call shenanigans/porkies on this one. if you go to topbuzz.co.uk it should tell you how to check the codes yourself. if you're concerned about the spark plugs, change them. they will set you back about $12 for a set of 4 and about 30 minutes work (including downing a coldie)

tinkz
3rd September 2006, 06:30 PM
thanks heaps for ur help guys! ill change the spark plugs and ill let u all kno how i go